Interesting Movie light PROP

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
Dont know if anyone ever seen this but i came across this and thought it was cool.When you see a copper film with flashing lights inthe backround....its probably just a stand alone lightbar and not a car...

Basically a movieprop to give the view of real flashing lights in an indoor movie set with mirrors behind it.

pretty cool setup...id use this for my future indoor collection showpiece lol

f.jpg

image3.jpg

image.jpg

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
The clear domed beacon was marked a a movie prop. It's actually a 14 mechanism mounted on a wooden base. The skirt was hammered out from flat stock, and although a little crude, it could pass as a 17.

ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c66_patrol530_auctionlights004.jpg

May 27, 2010
Lebanon PA
Some Police Depts. had similar setups at the range to use during trainings. At night the lights can paly weird tricks on your eyes.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Support Services said:
Some Police Depts. had similar setups at the range to use during trainings. At night the lights can paly weird tricks on your eyes.

Local dept had an edge bar set on some rapid/random pattern with all the lenses removed except the red/blue ends on a table at the range... I assume that's what it was for.... toss a lot of clear disorienting strobes...

WPD8908

May 21, 2010
NW Ohio
Support Services said:

I told my range master this and he cried B.S. ..

Try shooting at night with a slow rotator lightbar..

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
AerodyMANIAC said:
Dont know if anyone ever seen this but i came across this and thought it was cool.When you see a copper film with flashing lights inthe backround....its probably just a stand alone lightbar and not a car...

For Television and Movies it's not that these are used in the background, they are actually used behind the camera to bathe the actors in the flashing Red/Blue lights.

Sometimes, if you pay close attention, you will realize that the angles of the shot would make it impossible for a police car to be parked where it would need to be to light up the actors.

May 27, 2010
Lebanon PA
Not to change or trump on someones else thread. Allot of night time qualifiy was done under lights. Did it many times in the 70's I can only assume they still do it. As I remember the Twinsonics (blue/red) were only used at 25 yards while closer ranges were the high weak handed flashlights.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
WPD8908 said:
I told my range master this and he cried B.S. ..

Try shooting at night with a slow rotator lightbar..

The place I saw it is used by civilians and LEOs. I know the bar was used at a night shoot... I'm pretty sure that was a SRT team too... could be wrong.....

edit- I called my coworker.... apparently this bar was being shot at.... which is the real reason for the missing lenses..... he sheepishly admitted someone was shooting the lightbar it's self.... I think it started out as a real scenario, because they pull a car up there too and leave the siren and lights running during the shoot too. I never know who is genuine tactical and who is tacti-cool at these things.. I don't have enough LE background. I have my suspicions, but I have been very wrong before. I know the cop band that toured ohio in the 80s had a similar rack on wheels that came to my highschool... bars on racks with a battery below are used for many reasons, usually to simulate indirect light effects. Someone on the "/RAM4" board long time ago posted a movie where you could see a "disco light" array and an lp6000 on a chair rack through the window. It wasn't high budget as I remember. One of my instructors took my class out into the parking lot and made us tube the manikin in a car with his edge bar and wigwags shining on us (on his truck). Then he had two of us start reading the text book and a tv guide into walmart walkie talkies... it was a nice break.. but it was actually helpful. Train how you actually function.....

I'm sure someone somewhere trains with a light on a rack to simulate a scene.

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
We had one of every lightbar that was in service on a car available for firearms training at both the indoor and outdoor range. So, an Edge, a Smith & Wesson, a Firebeam, a Vector, and a Liberty. We would also qualify with the front and rear of the bars.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
patrol530 said:
The clear domed beacon was marked a a movie prop. It's actually a 14 mechanism mounted on a wooden base. The skirt was hammered out from flat stock, and although a little crude, it could pass as a 17.
ai25.photobucket.com_albums_c66_patrol530_auctionlights004.jpg

If you put two red bulbs in that movie prop clear beacon, It will look (kind of) like the one from "Naked Gun" Go to 2:48

If you notice at 3:32 they also used another beacon with bulbs and red filters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojh7l1GiWI0

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
50theman said:
If you put two red bulbs in that movie prop clear beacon, It will look (kind of) like the one from "Naked Gun" Go to 2:48

If you notice at 3:32 they also used another beacon with bulbs and red filters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojh7l1GiWI0

That's a scale model actually if i remember correctly...

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
JohnMarcson said:
That's a scale model actually if i remember correctly...

question since you brought this video clip up.

Iknow its just a movie but i really hate to see turret lights with the SAME colored bulbs in them with clear domes.

I can see 1 red 1 clear but 2 of the same is pointless with a clear dome?

I mean lightbars ok but turret lights?

why do people do this? Have you seen alot of this nature?

am i missing something?

Rich M.

Apr 13, 2011
USA Maryland
I am a Range Master for my department. On the indoor range we have two Federal V-bars and in the judgmental training room we have an LED bar mounted under the projector. Both work extremely well.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Dick Wolf Productions posted on line some pictures from behind the scenes on the production of Law & Order shows. One of the the pictures showed a Federal V bar mounted on a stand similar to the first picture. It had a tray of batteries on the bottom and would sit just out of the camera's view...

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
dustymedic said:
Dick Wolf Productions posted on line some pictures from behind the scenes on the production of Law & Order shows. One of the the pictures showed a Federal V bar mounted on a stand similar to the first picture. It had a tray of batteries on the bottom and would sit just out of the camera's view...

I remember i think it was police academy 2 or 3 or one of them. In the bar sceene they had code 3 lp lightbars red/blu hanging upside down all over the place,, dozens of them. I think that is the scene where tackleberry was at the bar and he said hes a virgin lol

I j ust thought it was cool. Just gave me a flashback , had to share :)

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
AerodyMANIAC said:
I remember i think it was police academy 2 or 3 or one of them. In the bar sceene they had code 3 lp lightbars red/blu hanging upside down all over the place,, dozens of them. I think that is the scene where tackleberry was at the bar and he said hes a virgin lol
I j ust thought it was cool. Just gave me a flashback , had to share :)

This scene? Skip to 0:16 sec on YT, (embedding disabled):

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
AerodyMANIAC said:
thanks well done

ur the quickest video drawer in the west

Hahaha...no problem. [Broken External Image]:http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/gun.gif

Looks like there's 3 Code 3 LP6000s mounted to that island where the patrons were sitting. Neat concept. If I ever had a bar, the place would be adorned with vintage bars of all types, turning and burning :D .

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
CrownVic97 said:
Hahaha...no problem. [Broken External Image]:http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/gun.gif

Looks like there's 3 Code 3 LP6000s mounted to that island where the patrons were sitting. Neat concept. If I ever had a bar, the place would be adorned with vintage bars of all types, turning and burning :D .

shit yeah! Actually im working on building a custom sm8 signalmasters to put in my rec room but im going to just have a regualr auto hazzard flasher hooked up to it ...just for the look

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
AerodyMANIAC said:
shit yeah! Actually im working on building a custom sm8 signalmasters to put in my rec room but im going to just have a regualr auto hazzard flasher hooked up to it ...just for the look

Go with an alternating (wig-wag) flasher and do what this person did. It's got a cool look to it while running :thumbsup:

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
CrownVic97 said:
Go with an alternating (wig-wag) flasher and do what this person did. It's got a cool look to it while running :thumbsup:

damn saturday night fever discotec....thanks bro that is sick! The only prob is its impossibletofind a 537 alternate flasher in autozone, pep or strauss. thats all i have here to buy from!!!

Im going to homedepot to get a black steel frame for the lights and i alerady got 2 ambers from autzone.The are the same as the signal master lights.Peterson makes the lamps.Very nice folks there Just different with the reflector and im adding a brighter bulb(55 wt) instead of the 11 57 that comes with it.

Vehicle Safety Light| LED Lights - Peterson Manufacturing Company

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmood

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.