interesting twinsonic speaker cover, pics inside. more added 11-2-2012

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
0722122210.jpgAre the center speaker covers with the speaker holes on both sides rare? I traded for one a few months ago and just noticed that it was that way this past week when i placed it on my 2012 Charger patrol car.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
I'd like to see some pics of this. But I can't confirm that this was ever an option. You could get them with out any perforations i do know.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
o_O I'd liketo see pics of this too! I suppose it may have helped with wind drag? :bonk:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Never seen one with speaker perforations on the front and back of the housing.

JennyCop

Jan 19, 2012
Sunny Arizona
plybeep68 said:
Picture added, If needed i will take some more in the daylight
well looky there what do you know! it does exist! that would look awesome on a Twinsonic 12X bar!

Then mount that 12X on this car! :haha:

CC-133-020-800.jpg

CC-133-024-800.jpg

CC-133-021-800.jpg

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
With speaker grilles on both sides you can have a TwinSonic with one speaker facing forward and the other one facing backward. There would be no Doppler effect when the car goes by with the siren running.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Now I see the pic of the speaker cover, perforations look like a factory job to me. Must have been a custom order, like speaker covers with no perforations.

Yeah, put it on a model 12X and mount it on that two-way Charger. Great for people who don't know if they are coming or going. :haha: :haha: :haha:

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
2 ideas......

1) Ryan is MIA on this cause he's going on a cross country road trip to personaly get it.....

OR

2) Ryan is curled up in the fetal position, shivering in a dark closet in central ohio cause he CANT buy it

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
Shawn L said:
2 ideas......

1) Ryan is MIA on this cause he's going on a cross country road trip to personaly get it.....

OR

2) Ryan is curled up in the fetal position, shivering in a dark closet in central ohio cause he CANT buy it

Yep!

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
lend it to what ever your heart thinks I am doing... evil heeheeheee!

Crown_Vics

Aug 30, 2010
Southern Arizona
Great item you have there. I think you need to change the title to this thread to "interesting wierd twinsonic speaker grill" more people need to see this thing. I agree it would look great on that 73 Dodge Coronet.

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
I have more to upload, but the computer isn't cooperating! I took about 20 pictures with different lights placed on top. I think the Twinsonic looks awkward , my favorite was the CJ184. i will load more pictures later

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I have seen twin sonic speaker covers with take down cut outs in it from factory. So I would assume federal would custom anything for a price.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
The cut outs for takedowns were not factory at all, they were produced by a police equipment sales company.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
ryan said:
The cut outs for takedowns were not factory at all, they were produced by a police equipment sales company.

Constable Equipment of Downers Grove Il. made those custom Twinsonic grills with square cutouts in the grille and round cutouts in the back in the mid 70's til the Twin was discontinued. A local Stainless shop punched out the holes and they added the clear squares of plexiglass to the grills. Sireno and then later North American can lights were added. There was an option for clear takedowns or colored alternating sealed beams in the front or and the back was your choice of colors. I know the originator of the idea. He is still selling equipment to this day for another company. He has a prototype in his office.

Knight347

Oct 25, 2012
Murfreesboro TN
OMG...a twin on a 12 Charger, Has Bob Sutphin or John Bradley seen that? I think theyd prolly have a cackle at that.

As for the dual perforated center section, it was found that it aided in keeping the center mounted drive motor cooled resulting in a longer brush life. I only know this being my uncle has a wrecker with a twinsonic in amber of course, even with the open center the motor still gets a bit warm.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Respondcode3 said:
Constable Equipment of Downers Grove Il. made those custom Twinsonic grills with square cutouts in the grille and round cutouts in the back in the mid 70's til the Twin was discontinued. A local Stainless shop punched out the holes and they added the clear squares of plexiglass to the grills. Sireno and then later North American can lights were added. There was an option for clear takedowns or colored alternating sealed beams in the front or and the back was your choice of colors. I know the originator of the idea. He is still selling equipment to this day for another company. He has a prototype in his office.

Someone told me they were factory....Well I guess they were full of s$*&%#t

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Here is an example. Courtsey of Copcar.com The back had round cut outs. They were always 12X's they would give you the option of Hella round alley lights or Marschall square The lights were north american can lights mounted to the speaker deck.

DSC06755-vi.jpg

417-vi.jpg

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Wailer said:
With speaker grilles on both sides you can have a TwinSonic with one speaker facing forward and the other one facing backward. There would be no Doppler effect when the car goes by with the siren running.

Are you sure? I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about this.

If this really worked, then the siren on a vehicle with just one siren speaker, mounted facing backwards, would sound higher-pitched as it travels away from an observer and lower pitched as it travels towards an observer.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.