Internal affairs investigated by a... Civilian?

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
I was on the Washington DC job site seeing if they had anything interesting open up... And I found this...

Job Title: INVESTIGATOR

Agency: Office of Police Complaints

Duties

Brief Description of Duties: This position is located in the office of Police Complaints (OPC). The incumbent works under the general supervision of the Chief Investigator and / or his or her designee. Duties include but are not limited to planning. organizing and conducting investigations of complaints by citizens against members of the Metropolitan Police Department; conducting interviews of complainants, witnesses, and officers in order to obtain factual statements and gathering of information or data necessary for the determination for adjudication of complaints; obtaining background information; assembling data and planning investigations; preparing written reports of investigations; entering investigative date into computerized information management system; and performing other related duties as required.

Qualifications

Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, at least one (1) year of specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
https://erecruit.dc.gov/psp/erecruit/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_HM_PRE

Is it just me, or is it a little weird that they are having a civi handle and investigate "complaints of misconduct"? Every agency I've been apart of, and every single one around me that I can think of have all IA investigations handled by sworn members. No matter what it is.

So tell me, am I just out of the loop on this one, or is it really that weird?

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
I would presume that the best setup would be a combination of sworn LE and civilians... considering the concerns many have of cops "protecting" other cops.

Apr 28, 2013
New York/Mass
I've never seen of that in my area, all IA is done internally.

However, like Zack said, a combination of both civilian and PD would be best.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
This isnt a new concept. When my hometown formed one, it had members of the clergy and NAACP attached to it. THAT part pissed me off. Nothing like having the deck stacked against you with those guys huh?

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
hmm this all really interesting. I understand the reasoning behind having a civi being apart of some investgations, but not lead. And deffintly not some joe blow off the street who has no idea of how emergency services/stressful situations work.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
I don't think this orginization is internal affairs, but rather an independent civilian oversight agency.

New York City has one called the CCRB. They are notorious for hiring kids fresh out of college (with no emergency services experience and who just experienced 4 years of liberal thinking) as investigators.

Jun 18, 2012
Virginia
A little clarification about the DC Metropolitan Police (MPD) and DC Office of Police Complaints: In college I interned with MPD and they do have a regular IA division that is made up of sworn officers, the Office of Police complaints is an outside agency in city government that investigates certain complaints against MPD, DC Protective Services Police, DC Housing Police etc. officers. Any decision that OPC makes after their investigation can be overturned or reduced by the Chief of Police, which can then be overturned again by a panel of 3 OPS examiners. In the 2 years that I worked with MPD I never heard of OPC actually doing anything.

For more info check out their website: office of police complaints | Office of Police Complaints

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
desert rent-a-cop said:
A little clarification about the DC Metropolitan Police (MPD) and DC Office of Police Complaints: In college I interned with MPD and they do have a regular IA division that is made up of sworn officers, the Office of Police complaints is an outside agency in city government that investigates certain complaints against MPD, DC Protective Services Police, DC Housing Police etc. officers. Any decision that OPC makes after their investigation can be overturned or reduced by the Chief of Police, which can then be overturned again by a panel of 3 OPS examiners. In the 2 years that I worked with MPD I never heard of OPC actually doing anything.
For more info check out their website: office of police complaints | Office of Police Complaints

Thanks for the info! :thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.