Intersection light

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Well that really depends on the truck. Ram truck have wrap around HLA's that HAW LED's fit in, a do Toyota Tundra's, Ford Ranger's, and Dodge trucks. Not so much in new Ford and GM trucks. Nissan trucks have never been wrap around friendly.

The best intersection light is really subject to placement, mount clear light heads on the upper side of a push bumper/brush guard to ge the best effect.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
900 series smart led from Whelen. ;) That would be the best intersection light- make sure you don't put it on split fail.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Depends on the truck, whether or not you have a brush guard or push bumper, whether or not you want to drill holes in the body, whether or not you want it to be inconspicuous, ect... I need more information before making a recommendation.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
I would have to second acala91, if your just asking in general or asking for a specific truck. If for a specific truck what make/model, and how are you willing to mount them ie: do you have a brush guard, intersection bracket, body mount, whether or not you want them completely hidden or don't care. I personally have Whelen Tir3s mounted on my front bumper for intersection, which seem to work fine for me; but I also have a Hyundai Elantra not a truck.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Generic recommendation: something white, as far forward as possible. I've got Tomar RECT-14s mounted horizontally along the bottom edge of the headlamp housings on my Explorer. Used 3M double sided tape to hold 'em in place, ran the wires between the housing and the body. The truck is silver so they blend in fairly well.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
In my case and personal use I've had good luck on my '78 ford with Streethawk,Mx7k and a Vista in that order.

aacosta367

Sep 18, 2012
North Jersery
efdny2003 said:
I would have to second acala91, if your just asking in general or asking for a specific truck. If for a specific truck what make/model, and how are you willing to mount them ie: do you have a brush guard, intersection bracket, body mount, whether or not you want them completely hidden or don't care. I personally have Whelen Tir3s mounted on my front bumper for intersection, which seem to work fine for me; but I also have a Hyundai Elantra not a truck.
Dodge Ram 1500 and try to keep my light hidden

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
As far forward as you can!!! The type of light doesnt matter as much (as long as you buy a quility light) as the location...

And yes, a 10-75 bracket, or the SMN bracket would be a good fit for your needs as well...

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Eric1249 said:
I posted a simular topic. So all clear is the best way to go? ION or M2? Sorry for hi-jacking post

My problem with clear is that, while being attention getting, is not associated with emergency services. If only that light is visible it won't stop traffic like a flashing red would. In my opinion, if you want clear to the side it needs to be with a dual color light that flashes red and clear. If a dual color light is not possible, then solid red.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
acala91 said:
My problem with clear is that, while being attention getting, is not associated with emergency services. If only that light is visible it won't stop traffic like a flashing red would. In my opinion, if you want clear to the side it needs to be with a dual color light that flashes red and clear. If a dual color light is not possible, then solid red.

I have 2 red Nforce on my running boards, 1 in side rear window, and red Miroorbeams. Right now I have SNM Mini on the side of my brushguard. I was going to to replace it with an ION. ?I was debating a split red/clear.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I don't know man, I just can't seem to warm up to split color lights. They never seem as attention getting to me as a solid color light because there is no off time.

PJD642

May 20, 2010
east of Cleveland
Lack of off-time is one problem with dual color, but unless you get a dual or triple color Impaxx or similar light you're also cutting down on the number of diodes available to you, which makes the light less bright as well. A TIR-4 is bright, but a dual color TIR 4 only has 2 leds of each color, hence less light output for each color. And don't even suggest flashing both colors at the same time ! So...I'd argue against split colors in this case. The stated purpose is for intersection lights, and I believe white will work best for that purpose. I seriously doubt that you'll be running those lights as your ONLY warning, right???

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
I'd recommend a clear HAWS if the headlight housing allows for it... Seemed to work fine for years before we went LED crazy :)

LINZ6 on a 45 degree bracket if you can fit in behind the license plate works well too...

White/clear light at this critical 90 to 45 degree angle, this is to compliment your existing colored lighting, not replace it.

NFPA patterns come to mind, something with a quad-like flash pattern but minimum 50% on time - too easy to have a super long quint flash pattern with lots of dark time miss out on creating the intended warning by the time you're in the intersection. Not wild about single flash for an intersection head, white strobe-like patterns convey urgency and should capture enough interest until the rest of the warning package is processed by the motorist.

Just say no to split light heads and split light patterns - you need all of the intensity of the lighthead flashing on-off-on-off, not a blur or Nite Rider stick.

picone239

Jul 22, 2010
Paramus, NJ
PJD642 said:
Generic recommendation: something white, as far forward as possible. I've got Tomar RECT-14s mounted horizontally along the bottom edge of the headlamp housings on my Explorer. Used 3M double sided tape to hold 'em in place, ran the wires between the housing and the body. The truck is silver so they blend in fairly well.

You have a picture of that you'd care to share?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
i'm currently using TOMAR RECT14s as intersection warning. I was considering switching to the M2s, or M4s. Now im thinking about trying the new Whelen V-Series for the sides. I guess i could wire the 'puddle-light' feature to come on when i open the doors? Any thoughts ?

408552_544370252254805_1548260255_n.jpg

Ren12

Jun 13, 2012
SE Pennsylvania
Storm4200 said:
i'm currently using TOMAR RECT14s as intersection warning. I was considering switching to the M2s, or M4s. Now im thinking about trying the new Whelen V-Series for the sides. I guess i could wire the 'puddle-light' feature to come on when i open the doors? Any thoughts ?

Can't ever go wrong with the M4's - they would be a nice addition. As far as the puddle lights with the open door I'd save my $$. Your truck is pretty ridiculous already. It's got a really great setup as it is.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Storm4200 said:

With that big area to mount a light you would be crazy not to go with something big like an M4.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Ok Eric, go with the m2s and I'll go with the M4s.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
acala91 said:
:no:

Friends don't let friends buy split lights!

I like dual colors for intersection lights. So long as they are synced properly, and have a decent pattern.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
Storm4200 said:
I like dual colors for intersection lights. So long as they are synced properly, and have a decent pattern.

I like dual colors too, but in a true dual color light not a split light. I believe that an intersection light should be set to a faster attention getting pattern and fast pattern + split color light = split fail.

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
acala91 said:
I like dual colors too, but in a true dual color light not a split light. I believe that an intersection light should be set to a faster attention getting pattern and fast pattern + split color light = split fail.

Imo, it's a split FAIL when you split a single colored light head, and flash it fast. Red/white on an alternating comet flash wouldn't create a pink blur, and I think would work well. (intersections are the only place I like split heads btw)

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I suppose it wouldn't be THAT bad, but I'm still not a fan of it because there is't any significant off time. Buuuuttttt, now that I think about it, if you're dead set on clear up front, why don't you go with some 400 series LIN12s split red/clear? They wouldn't be that much more money and would give you a lot better off axis output than the TIR M2s and a bigger foot print. They should fit no problem.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
acala91 said:
I suppose it wouldn't be THAT bad, but I'm still not a fan of it because there is't any significant off time. Buuuuttttt, now that I think about it, if you're dead set on clear up front, why don't you go with some 400 series LIN12s split red/clear? They wouldn't be that much more money and would give you a lot better off axis output than the TIR M2s and a bigger foot print. They should fit no problem.

Wouldn't the M2 have a larger footprint then the LIN12? I have most of my lights synced with a flasher. ( mirrorbeams and 3 nforce on the sides) Should I sync the M2's with them or just have them on their own pattern?

Storm4200

Nov 2, 2011
NJ
acala91 said:
Nope, compare here. M2s on the bumper sides and LIN12s on the front of the push bar.

now the grill lights in that video are split FAIL. Same color flashing split = steady burn from 100'

i do like the idea of LIN12 400s in R/w.

btw........SYNC SYNC SYNC

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL

StEaLtH2

Mar 3, 2011
New England
Eric1249 said:
A local shop that sells Whelen has the M2 in stock, but they are red/clear. Do I or don't I?

I would do it R/C if it were mine....but as stated, the pattern needs to be right.... SigAlert or dbl flash..

Just .02 on the pile.... :D

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
StEaLtH2 said:
I would do it R/C if it were mine....but as stated, the pattern needs to be right.... SigAlert or dbl flash..
Just .02 on the pile.... :D

Most of my lights are synced with a flasher on the SigAlert pattern.

I just can't make up my mind on which lights to get. M2's or M4? M4 might be a tid to big

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
benny22

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.