Is this a Unitrol 800?

notameowcelot

May 4, 2023
Australia
I'm an audio engineer that's been doing some research on an audio sample (91-Siren Constant Wails And Yelps) featured in the Sound Ideas Series 6000 Extension 1 library, released in the late 90s. This audio sample has been used extensively in various movies, TV shows, video games etc.

As there is no information provided about the actual box used, I have no information past my own investigations - which lead me to believe that this may be a Unitrol 800 series. My question is, if so, why the sound seems to be different across all examples/demos of the 800 that I can find online, and how I might recreate the specific sound heard in the audio sample using an original should I manage to find one?

I've attached an MP3 of the audio sample (wail+yelp, no hi/lo or phaser was present in the original audio sample) in my post.

Attachments

• siren.mp3
    1.5 MB

notameowcelot

May 4, 2023
Australia
That would be correct. My department used a few of these in conjunction with some old Smith and Wesson lightbars in the early to mid 80s.

I do find it odd how the tone seems to be different across multiple demo/example videos that I find - some are lower pitched or too fast, but there was one that was near the same as the audio sample I described. Either way, thanks for confirming my suspicion!

notameowcelot

May 4, 2023
Australia
sound recording methods and speeds, age of electronics in used equipment, and what not. makes sense. I've heard some Whelen things that sound a bit funny when recorded.
Aye, that's fair enough - thanks again! I might have to see about trying to get my hands on one of them now..

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
sound recording methods and speeds, age of electronics in used equipment, and what not. makes sense. I've heard some Whelen things that sound a bit funny when recorded.
It may also depend on whether there were any changes to the design of the circuit board during the course of production.

I have Federal Interceptor sirens with completely different circuit boards and they all sound different.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.