Is this supposed to be this way???

Status
Not open for further replies.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I got this Whelen Cadet off a member never had one before.

The fast speed is good, but is this thing suppose to be this slow?

There are times when it almost comes to a complete stop.

How do I make mine work like that?

Last edited by a moderator:

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
First things I'd do:

1. check the gears, any teeth missing/stripped? Gunk/plastic parts missing/caught up in the gears?

2. Try it with the cig plug in your vehicle, with the engine on. (could simply be the power supply isn't giving it enough voltage/amperage)

3. If its still full of fail, the motor is pooched.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
unlisted said:
First things I'd do:

1. check the gears, any teeth missing/stripped? Gunk/plastic parts missing/caught up in the gears?

2. Try it with the cig plug in your vehicle, with the engine on.

3. If its still full of fail, the motor is pooched.

Im usin a this to run it and it's at full charge.

Runs the firebeam alright.

IMG_0038.JPG

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Or, buy the JDI Super-cadet capacitor kit for only $59.99 (plus shipping). Installs easily in less than a week.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Ok. Will give that a shot.

I only have the grease in WD40 spray will that work ok?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Gotten it mostly apart. Cleaning the worm and rotor gear.

Going to clean up the brushs and the (armature) the use the grease.

My vid and the other.

There slow is my fast. :haha:

May 23, 2013
nc
lol, my single speed cadet turns to the right from the factory

wished i could make mine 2 speeds

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Well cleaned it all up and tryed it without the light hooked up nothing.

Hooked the bulb up and it still runs slow.

Where can I get another small motor with the fine teeth on it for it?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
That power pack is like having a my 1000 amp battery hooked up.

I used the outlet and then tryed the jump cables nadda samething.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Chief, take a very close look at the ground wire(s) to/from the motor, if one or the one is not secure the motor will "hunt" for ground through the other 1/2 of the winding causing a slow condition. Pull on the ground wire(s) (?) and note if any stretch can be felt indicating a broken conductor inside insulation. Long shot but worth a try. DT

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
chief1565 said:
That power pack is like having a my 1000 amp battery hooked up.
I used the outlet and then tryed the jump cables nadda samething.

Riiight, but if for some reason it is the power pack (and I should know, I've had brand new ones do funky things when testing lights in the past) you are not eliminating that as a possible issue. Same batt powers the plug and the jumper leads on the power pack.

Probably the motor, or a bad wire connection somewhere as others have mentioned. (if its not the power pack)

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Next step I guess is to cut the heat shrink around the circut board controling the fast and slow speed.

And see what's what.

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
OH! There's a circuit board controlling speed? Drag that thing to a car battery and try it again. I have experienced many a power supply confusing electronic circuit boards due to the ripple in 120/12v convertors. Even a battery across the power supply would help absorb any ripple for short term testing. This came up at E-One when engineering was testing timers that were electronic on a power supply. Three days and a garbage can full of good timers later Torpedo walks in and says "try a battery"?

:bonk:

DOH !

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
When the wife gets ready to go somewhere I'll have here try it.

The jumper pak is not an inverter

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Oh, so the jump pack is a battery bearing device then? Nvm. Carry on, could be a bugaboo on that board you're getting ready to disrobe, Watch for open circuit causing a back feed through 1/2 of motor if a three wire motor. If only two wires to motor inspect all solder points well then suspect bad board. In my experience a motor will run or it won't so I would be wary of those electronics in line with said motor. Maybe stick it with a volt meter during each speed, see what we can learn? Aint this fun?

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Actually getting 12v+ off the pack. Speed is regulated by voltage not amperage. Some jump packs are 10-11v, that's how they get the crazy amperage numbers.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Well I tried the samething with a fully charged 1000amp battery I keep charged for working on full size lightbars and the samething happens.

Here's the inside of the light best I could get.

Maybe by clicking on them you can get a better picture.

This one of the reasons I don't get alot of Whelen stuff you can't use anything else in them but thier stuff and some of it is hard to find .

IMG_0039.JPG

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0041.JPG

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
It is difficult to make out but I think I see four diodes. Diodes typically drop about 1/2 volt @ and if in series this array would likely drop about 2 volts +/- to the motor whenever the white switch is open. Closing the switch "may" bypass the diodes. I can't tell without highly detailed pics of each side of that board but I think this may be what they did there. Do the black things (diodes) get hot when @ slow speed then cool at fast? (Warm is ok, hot not so much.) All that in mind you could have a binding situation in gear train or even the motor's bronze bushings. Wd 40 is basically naptha (Zippo) as a carrier to deliver the fish oil lubricant. The carrier evaporates and eventually leaves the gummy, acidic fish oil behind. This is what rusts your tools over time. (bad stuff imho) I use zoom spout turbine oil for my motors and stay away from both red and blue 3 in one crap too, also acidic. Oil is for the bronze motor bushings only, (disregard if nylon end caps) and only a drop @ each from a toothpick. Keep it away from brushes. The nylon gear train runs best dry as any gunk, grease, eventually draws debris and turns the lubricant to an aggregate (sanding paste, more bad stuff) also some plastics are broken down by some lubricants over time. To prove or disprove my diode theory put the light in slow mode and reverse wires to battery for a moment. If I'm right the motor will not run but the bulb will light then switch to fast, try again reversed, and the motor "should" turn in opposite direction as the bulb lights. Weak diode(s) will trash low speed also but there again, in my experience diodes either work or they don't but I surely could be wrong as I've never used diodes this way.

I ask again, aint this fun? :hahano:

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
Great point guys! 24 of 'em. !!! Somebody could have plunked a 12V bulb into her. :bonk: Google the beacon's part number Chief, if it has one.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Ok here's what I found.

There is nothing that says it's Whelen there is no bulb number.

Only thing iside is a build date? 19 Oct 1998.

Motor 180-12 497 and the little pots on the end all 3 have 473 .

Diodes all 4 appear to have 98.

And that's all the ID I can find.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Ok guys good new from the home front.

The wife went out in the snow dtrom cause i was getting frustrated as probably you all were .

And the thing when fly in both speeds :fangirl: :fangirl:

So why is it I can get the firebeam to work right and all the other rotors lights I've worked with the power pak and this thing wouldn't.

I used it to run all 6 rotors in the 36" Vista.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
chief1565 said:
Ok guys good new from the home front.
The wife went out in the snow dtrom cause i was getting frustrated as probably you all were .

And the thing when fly in both speeds :fangirl: :fangirl:

So why is it I can get the firebeam to work right and all the other rotors lights I've worked with the power pak and this thing wouldn't.

I used it to run all 6 rotors in the 36" Vista.

So.. If I am reading this right... It works fine when plugged into an actual vehicle?

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
yes!!!!! :eek:

But like I said up above why can I run everything else but that off the battery or the jump pak?

Torpedo

May 9, 2012
USA Fl
chief1565 said:
Ok here's what I found.
There is nothing that says it's Whelen there is no bulb number.

Only thing iside is a build date? 19 Oct 1998.

Motor 180-12 497 and the little pots on the end all 3 have 473 .

Diodes all 4 appear to have 98.

And that's all the ID I can find.

I'm out, put it on craigs list. That 12 in the nomenclature makes me think it's a 12 V unit but I don't think much. OFF that fooker!

Edit: I didn't read the two posts above....

Yay! Power packs, can't live wiff em yet, they're everywhere.

:goodevil: :fangirl:

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
Whelen boards do not like battery chargers and jump packs. Their boards require 13.8v to operate. Your other rotators don't have boards and recieve direct amperage at the needed 11-12v so there is no problem. Electronic flashers have the same problem on the battery chargers and jump packs. I had a Liberty I swore was toast but when hooked to a 13.8v regulated power supply it was fine. When dealing with circuit boards it is the voltage that ends up being more important then the amperage.

wilsonbr90

Sep 30, 2013
Corning, New York
Output voltage on your car is 14-15 Volts when running. Did you try running it with the car off? I had a dual rotator back in the day that would crawl unless the car was running then it would flash as it should

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
emtanderson51 said:
Whelen boards do not like battery chargers and jump packs. Their boards require 13.8v to operate. Your other rotators don't have boards and recieve direct amperage at the needed 11-12v so there is no problem. Electronic flashers have the same problem on the battery chargers and jump packs. I had a Liberty I swore was toast but when hooked to a 13.8v regulated power supply it was fine. When dealing with circuit boards it is the voltage that ends up being more important then the amperage.

Well that makes sence. It's got a few more thing on the board than the Firebeam.

Today, 09:17 PM

wilsonbr90

Output voltage on your car is 14-15 Volts when running. Did you try running it with the car off? I had a dual rotator back in the day that would crawl unless the car was running then it would flash as it should

Yeah she had it running and she said when she shut the van off it went it slooooow mode again.

So I see what you all are talking about.

I thought the thing was bad.

Thanks for everybodies help and suggestions.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
The fact is that most automotive electric output is really 13.5 volts, not 12. And because of the electronics, this light (and a lot of strobe lights) may be a little more discriminating than other lights. The same voltage considerations affect two way radio performance, too.

That doesn't mean your battery pack isn't a good idea, but it's why members always advise you to check lights or sirens with a car with the engine running.

witt455

May 22, 2010
Central Missouri
I don't disagree with the voltage discussion but I have one other thing you might check. Sounds stupid but I had an older cadet and if the magnet screw got over tightened it would drag down the speed of the mirror

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I already said z

I found the problem and it's resolved.

Thank you for your input though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.