Is this the future of volunteer EMS?

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I see this problem in more then just Volly EMS units.

less then 6 years ago we had 3 Volly EMS units local to me,  now due to budget and lack of manpower we have 1 Regular EMS unit no Volly's.

Vol Fire Co's are facing a similar problem..  Last year around this time there was a major shake-up that effectively shut down one of our local Vol Fire Companies..   Politics aside we are looking at just about 1 year later and they still are not back up and running.     The other 4 that I actively engage with all sing the same song..  not enough volunteers...   This is a stark difference to when I used to run back in the late 90's early 00's when they had the option to be choosy.

Food for thought..

Dec 4, 2011
US NC
This is going to eventually become a reality for fire and EMS alike. With the training requirements becoming more time consuming, and the up coming generation(mine) not wanting to give their time to anything without receiving something for it, volunteer emergency services are going to be in dire straits in the coming years.

Reactions: kitn1mcc

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Here in New York State (where the company in that article is located), State Department of Health just transitioned to the National EMT Standards. To do that, for a Basic EMT, required about 13 hours of additional classroom time plus FEMA IS100, IS700, and IS5a certifications. Advanced and Paramedics have even more added on. The instructors now estimate classroom time for EMT-B to be north of 175 hours and that's if they hustle through some topics. They're already short on skills labs as is. Very few first time EMT students make it through the skills testing on the first try.

I got my first EMT card in 1973. It was a bridge course from Red Cross Advanced First Aid. (Those of you old enough to remember will know that AFA, propery taught, was an excellent program for its time. I wish today's EMTs could have the skills that AFA folks had.) I don't think that class was more than 30 hours or so. And I watched the Basic and Refresher classes eat up more and more hours over the years since.

The problem is most severe in rural areas where volunteers are few and far between to begin with. I've watched several squads implode right in this area since I moved up here 4 years ago.

But it's not limited to the outlying communities. My original squad was in a suburb of Rochester with a decent call volume, enough members, and close to plenty of high grade training opportunities. 15 minutes by ground to a Level 1 Trauma Hospital, and the same to a Level 2. IMHO, it was one of the best situations for a volunteer squad to be in. But they lost their contract with their community because they could not cover 70% of their calls. They're gone. 73 years of great service to the community blown out the window. Primary cause was lack of volunteers to cover their calls; both day and night.

A larger squad on the other side of Rochester just merged with a neighboring service. They were both originally volunteer, but one has moved to the third party billing with paid crews model. Again, running low on volunteers was the primary problem.

I can't blame the State's expanded training requirements completely. It's high time that EMS providers, paid or volunteer, were held to a proper standard. I don't want slugs next to me on calls. The fire service is in the same boat. Much better training and OSHA standards are the way to go.

Something else that is going to really hurt EMS, especially here in NYS is the Health Commissioner's Order on Ebola. Those requirements are going to drive volunteers out the door. I'm in the middle of presenting transition training to all of our squad members on that, and I expect to see several resignations right away, and probably several more in the months ahead.

We're seeing a industry wide drift towards paid personnel. It's been coming for a long time and the pace is increasing. The concern is local coverage and rapid response time. How that's going to play out in rural areas is unknown in many cases, including my own town. Ultimately, I suspect that we'll see many volunteer ambulance services become first response agencies with ALS and transport coming from commerical operations. In NYS, it only requires one EMT for 1st response, no driver needed. A lot of squads could do that even if they no longer have the manpower to run an ambulance service.

When I was younger, I always thought the older guys and gals were out of place in EMS. Now that I'm on the other side of that coin (67) and retired, I'm one of the very few that can respond on lots of calls, teach others, work around the squad building, go to lots of classes and meetings, etc. I score better on EMT tests than ever before and everybody in the squad comes to me to solve their computer problems. I'm lucky to have retained my health and keep my wits about me. My EMS Chief is 10 years older than me. We've got a driver who is 70 and best I've seen. He also drives school bus full time. Between the three of us, we cover fully half of our squad's call volume. I'd love to have three or four more retirees like us.

But it is only a temporary solution at best. I keep asking the younger members what they are going to do when any one of us (let alone two or all three) is gone. I want to know what their plan is. I want to help them make sure that the plan works and coverage continues beyond the three of us. But all I get is the "deer in the headlights" look on their faces. They don't know what to do, don't know how to sit down and plan what to do, let alone how to implement.

I don't have all the answers, but I have plenty of questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
I got my first EMT card in 1972. It was a bridge course from Red Cross Advanced First Aid. (Those of you old enough to remember will know that AFA, propery taught, was an excellent program for its time. I wish today's EMTs could have the skills that AFA folks had.)

BINGO!! How many times have you heard requests for ALS or fire backup because a crew on scene did not have the right Velcro splint.

I splinted a fx ankle at the skating rink one night when the BLS crew started calling for ALS. So being the nosy cop I was, I slid over there. They couldn't splint the ankle because they didn't have the right splint. You woulda thought I had my zipper down from the looks I got when I used a pillow and 2 rolls of kling.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
http://ithaca-cortland.twcnews.com/content/news/ithacacortland/796656/slaterville-ambulance-service-may-be-coming-to-an-end/

An all too common situation these days! My squad has a decent number of volunteers, but very few can be relied upon to actually stand duty and respond to calls.
Exact same situation at my volunteer department. I work full time at a career department where we run 4-6 thousand calls a year. My volunteer department, we run maybe 400-500 calls a year. We have members on the roster, but getting people to show up and run the calls is the problem. Volunteers are slowly eliminating themselves unfortunately. We're facing the question now of "well if we don't run the calls, then why are we even here"....things have to change. 

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
... (Those of you old enough to remember will know that AFA, propery taught, was an excellent program for its time. I wish today's EMTs could have the skills that AFA folks had.)

But the human body has evolved into a more complicated object since then.  :rolleyes:

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Our problem here.too  Almost 30 active (voting) members, 14 affiliate, 10 life members. Yet about 9 or 10 make all the runs...

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.