It's finally here!! Beacon Ray Model 17-C

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
Well, after purchasing this on fleabay on 12/1 it was a long frustrating wait till its arrival on 12/23. The dome is crazed but new ones are easy to come by. The spot lights are rusted and will need sandblasting and a repaint. I think the chrome will clean up with some steelwool and polish. The beacon ray doesn't have a tag but both spotlights do and each is stamped "CAL" under model. While I don't think this light was born with both spotlights from the factory the second spotlight obviously came from a 17-C since it has the correct adapter plate to fit the curve and slope of the beacon ray base and has the correct tag. My theory is that this light was on a vehicle that wasn't used regularly, maybe a transport van, therefore staying in service longer than a typical patrol car. As the patrol car fleet was upgraded over time with new warning lights someone decided to remove a spot from a car going OOS and add it to this light to increase rear warning with the amber light. Make sense? Again, this is only speculation.

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_P1010618.jpg

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_P1010619.jpg

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_P1010620.jpg

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_P1010621.jpg

ai196.photobucket.com_albums_aa13_wfdstation42_elightbars_P1010626.jpg

Sirenman

May 25, 2010
Tucson, AZ USA
As to wfdstation42's statement that new early 17 domes are easy to come by, I wonder where he got his information. New domes for the later mdel 17s through 170 series beacons in the larger size are still manufactured, but the early ones as on his beacon are not. I own the original Federal mold for these lights and am the only source of new ones. The early and late domes are not interchangeable as the early skirt has an opening too small for the late domes and the late skirts have an opening too large for the early domes, (they fall out). I stock them in red, blue, clear, green and magenta. They are $40. each plus shipping. I hope that this clarifies the avalability question for everyone. Happy Holidays.

If interested, contact me at john@sirenman.com

John Dorgan

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
Maybe that's what he meant, John. You have a great reputation around here, you know. Maybe he already knew to go to you for a new dome.

:thumbsup:

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
Sirenman said:
I stock them in red, blue, clear, green and magenta.

OK I gotta ask, magenta? Like fuscia? :crazy: Is that an original color? And no amber? Not a collector at all, so just trying to understand.

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
Sirenman said:
As to wfdstation42's statement that new early 17 domes are easy to come by, I wonder where he got his information. New domes for the later mdel 17s through 170 series beacons in the larger size are still manufactured, but the early ones as on his beacon are not. I own the original Federal mold for these lights and am the only source of new ones. The early and late domes are not interchangeable as the early skirt has an opening too small for the late domes and the late skirts have an opening too large for the early domes, (they fall out). I stock them in red, blue, clear, green and magenta. They are $40. each plus shipping. I hope that this clarifies the avalability question for everyone. Happy Holidays.
If interested, contact me at john@sirenman.com

John Dorgan

So then how are the smaller earlier version domes not easy to come by? You own the molds and stock them and I've purchased from you before. I email you a request, you tell me how much, I send a money order. Seems easy to me.

wfdstation42

May 23, 2010
USA/FL
mjw357 said:
OK I gotta ask, magenta? Like fuscia? :crazy: Is that an original color? And no amber? Not a collector at all, so just trying to understand.

Yes, it is a color FedSig sold. Funeral cars used them. I bought one from John for a model 173 I have. Looks great!

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
I still see purple-domed funeral cars in this area. They are pretty dim; not very effective as a visual warning device, in my opinion.

MARSMAN

Jun 14, 2011
LAS VEGAS NV. USA
Wow,now that is rare, if I may, steady red up front flashing amber to the rear.

First double I have ever seen! :eek:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.