Its official no more mail saturday delivery from USPS starting in August

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Personally, I think it is a good move. I think that it will be a change that everyone will have to get used to but, all in all I think it's an idea that not only would help them but be good for everyone. Now, with that said, maybe this should go in the unpopular opinion thread, but I think we are very lucky to only be paying .46¢ to mail a letter. I do not mail something that often, and when it is, it is normally a box of some sort. I think the USPS should be charging more to mail a letter. The rate of standard postage has raised .40¢ over the last 150 years. Nothing ever in the history of our nation has had that low of inflation.

I think if you re-structured the mailing system, which going from 6 days to 5 days is great. But there are other things that could change to ensure that it's around for some time to come.

::flame on::

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Yeah just read it too. Well that's good in a way don't need to worry about why something didn't come in a few days if mailed on a thursday.

Why do the call it the United States Postal Service if the goverment doesn't give it financial aid?

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
They're killin me

MESDA6

Jun 2, 2010
Central IL and PHX
Here's a link to the fact sheet that USPS issued about this. Package delivery will still occur on Saturday and Post Offices will be open.

Not a bad plan given that the only "mail" we get on Saturdays are the few circulars that still come by mail like Ace Hardware and Harbor Freight. The bills can wait til Monday, no problem.....

Fact Sheet

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
My Netflix will be delayed a day. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Goodsam

Jun 26, 2011
South western Utah
My thought was they should cut it back to Monday, Wednesday, Friday deliveries for residences and M-F business deliveries, no change on Priority, Express, Ect.

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
Goodsam said:
My thought was they should cut it back to Monday, Wednesday, Friday deliveries for residences and M-F business deliveries, no change on Priority, Express, Ect.

I know I always forget to check my house mailbox since it is one of those community boxes. The shop box gets checked every day though so that wouldn't be bad for me.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Good idea IMO. Next thing is to convince people that throwing tax money at them is (from me?! say it ain't so) a good thing. A government agency can take in some money to offset its costs, but IMO it shouldn't be expected to turn a profit on its own. That's what the IRS is for.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
It seems like even cutting back to M-F for first class mail isn't helping the problem. Sooner or later, if they keep cutting back, the few people that still use them will stop and switch to electronic methods, and then they'll be in even bigger trouble.

I don't disagree with changes to save money, I just don't think this well help... or that it will be the end of the changes. I use the other carriers when possible.

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
Seems like they have been doing alot to to cut costs. They have been filling positions with part-time help over fulltime when they can. They told me this morning that they will still be there on Saturdays as it only effects the carriers for now. Hopefully it works out, if only the rest of government would figure out a way to save $$.

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
MESDA6 said:
Here's a link to the fact sheet that USPS issued about this. Package delivery will still occur on Saturday and Post Offices will be open.
Not a bad plan given that the only "mail" we get on Saturdays are the few circulars that still come by mail like Ace Hardware and Harbor Freight. The bills can wait til Monday, no problem.....

Fact Sheet

As long as package delivery still happens on Saturdays, I'm okay with this. Really the only reason I ever use USPS is because they deliver packages on Saturday and UPS typically does not (without an extra charge that most shippers don't even offer).

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
I think that the USPS should raise its rates to whatever it needs to be profitable. Most of what I get in the mail is junk and/or bills now anyways. We pay our mortgage, car note, insurance, car insurance, cable, telephone etc bills online anyway. I don't really have a need for the mail, outside of packages. If it disappeared tomorrow, it wouldn't really affect me very much at all.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Money does not matter. Everyone agency and business is in debt and somehow everything still works fine. Look at our country, deep in debt, yet still able to function and buy things.

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I don't give a rat's boot about Saturday delivery. I just wish they would charge an even amount for stamps for once. Raise it to an even 50 cents and call it a day.

Clarence H

May 20, 2010
USA Twin Cities Minnesota
I think that the fact that in 2009 congress passed a bill requiring that the USPS pre fund their retiree healthcare for 70 years in advance, and gave them a 10 year window to do it, has a lot to do with the state they are in now. If any other buisness had to do that, they would be bankrupt too.

Clarence

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
Figured with August approaching this deserves a bump.

Jman423

Administrator
Sep 10, 2010
United States
My local post office told me this is a no-go... I guess the government wouldn't let them do it. Saturday mail continues... unless something else happened after that.

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
They should shut down Mondays if anything. Everytime you turn around, they are not delivering on Monday for a holiday anyways. Maybe that would take care of some paid holiday days, too???

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Pimp said:
They should shut down Mondays if anything. Everytime you turn around, they are not delivering on Monday for a holiday anyways. Maybe that would take care of some paid holiday days, too???

That woudl be more of a detriment to businesses than taking saturday away. The amount of stuff I have to ship on mondays is always huge compared to saturday.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.