Just found a Listing for a NOS WHelen Fasttraxx lightbar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were any good, then Whelen would still be selling them as the CVPI roof line has been unchanged since 1998. They were not very popular as departments wanted a lightbar or completely stealth unmarked cars with no exterior lighting.

I saw one in use on an FHP slicktop here years ago, only one though, probably an experiment. I've never seen a patrol in use with the forward facing light shroud Whelen offered.

patrol530 said:
I saw one in use on an FHP slicktop here years ago, only one though, probably an experiment. I've never seen a patrol in use with the forward facing light shroud Whelen offered.

Seminole Co. Sheriff Office uses them on maybe one of their vehicals and I have seen a LK Mary, and a Sanford PD unit with them. But you are right, never seen the front unit, only the rear setup.

I did a few. They were heavy. You had to drill a 1.125 hole in the roof near the window. They attached with 2 side tape and a few sheet metal screws. More trouble then they were worth.

i remember that that fast trax came from when they took over the Nascar lighting they wanted a way to light up the car without a big bar on the roof

TritonBoulder47 said:
I'v always loved the FastTraxx idea... But the excecution was a little lacking IMHO...

Salem, MA Police had a few on their cruisers. They even had TIR6 versions. I thought they looked awesome on the cruisers, and very effective... especially the TIR6 version. I agree that the front bar was hideous.

ai64.photobucket.com_albums_h198_emsdispatcher1_5009453335_257449dc97.jpg

I coulda sworn I saw a few pictures of an Impala with one of those on the back...

Ya I think a few Boston PD cruisers have them.

I think the fasttrxx lightbar is a really good idea by whelen. If they produced one of these things in all led, im sure more depts. would use them.

gman021 said:

I think the fasttrxx lightbar is a really good idea by whelen. If they produced one of these things in all led, im sure more depts. would use them.

They did, its called an outer edge for tahoes and suburbans. And its even more ugly with the new side post application.

A good friend of mine that is the Chief at a small department has a full setup, but we took the front off and went with an interior bar and left the rear pod on the car before we put it in service. The strobe and halogen flasher pack took up one entire side of the trunk, and it had a lot of cables. We had to plug 2 one inch holes in the roof when we took it off, but no major harm done. I have convinced him to hold onto the entire system from a collectible standpoint, and if he doesnt I get first dibs at it.

I remember the agency that had it originally didnt care for them after they were installed, they were somewhat stealthy, but the warning output from the front sucked during the day IIRC. Problem we had after removing the front pod was little to no intersection warning, and no real alley lighting at all except for the spotlight.

HILO said:
They did, its called an outer edge for tahoes and suburbans. And its even more ugly with the new side post application.

Ya but they should make an led one for the CPVI. Im sure slicktops would have those instead of loading the back with avengers

gman021 said:
Ya but they should make an led one for the CPVI. Im sure slicktops would have those instead of loading the back with avengers

Or you could just put an inner edge inside the rear window and be more stealthy!

There are a few Nassau County P.D. Highway units that have newer Whelen Fasttraxx rear lightbars that are using Lin12's and Tir6 Super-LED modules. Very bright. It was a very original idea when Whelen first released the product. ~Kirk

Fast LT1 said:
Or you could just put an inner edge inside the rear window and be more stealthy!

Stealthy is great, as long as its in an unmarked unit. Many police cars in my town are slicktops, but fully marked.

Lets me honest, the fastraxx wouldn't give away a cop car in anyway. As long as its in the rear atleast...

nerdly_dood said:
I coulda sworn I saw a few pictures of an Impala with one of those on the back...

I don't know about impalas, but there were pontiac grand prix pacecars that came with the one on the rear. Of course only the official pacecars got them, making them gold in the gp community, id love one for the back of my car

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

gman021 said:

You are correct! :) Actually quite a few cruisers here in MA had the rear Fasttraxx bar. Never saw too many with the front one though.

Installed several, they do NOT withstand sunlight at all. Discoloration is a problem. They are also difficult to service. For the money you would be better off with an interior package. Just my opionion.

Newark NJ had at least one car with both front and back a while ago.

Well I think we can all agree that a all led rear fasttraxx is a good idea but in the front is just down right fugly!

I just bought a p71 that had one installed but they removed it... the bastards.. ha any way there are two grommets left where it was and i thought if i could find one i would pop it on and load it up with super leds eventually. I agree the front one is was and forever will be fugly... I didn,t care for the halo/strobe combo myself, it must've been a wiring nightmare.. any how i never knew they had one that used the five hundred series lights...

My first CVPI had a front and rear system all strobe. The front system sucked the rear worked really well. My neighboring county replaced the rePlaced the rear 400 series with super LED heads and it is amazing now. The front one blew off on the interstate. I love the rear system.

I really like the rear system, especially the LED version.

But I think the coolest ones were the ones made for the pace cars that fit around the rear spoiler.

EDIT: found one on a Pontiac Gran Prix

aamericandreamcars.com_2000pontiacdattonapacecar1106.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of the HP CVPIs had them on the rear, first in strobe, then in 5MM 400s. No front units. They've since abandoned them. The strobe ones were.... meh, the LED ones weren't too bad.

WireKing said:

But I think the coolest ones were the ones made for the pace cars that fit around the rear spoiler.

this is what the Fasttrax was based off of. it was when whelen took over nascar 100% the big wigs at GM said a regular bar would look bad on the car so thats what whelen. built

Is that a TA on the back of the module of the 2nd SF car?

WireKing said:

I wish I could find someone to recreate one of these. I have always wanted one for my gp

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

These bars were a great idea when they were first released. The front wasn't pretty as everyone said, though it does look to have a bit of a futuristic look to it, lol. The rear ones don't look too bad, especially the ones that use the smaller lightheads in them. The ones that use the 600 series are huge and would look much better with 700s (like the Grand Prix looks to have in it) or more so with 500s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381