Just in!! My Federal Signal Prototype 185 Beacon

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Skip Goulet said:
I wonder why the 185 wasn't marketed. I had to look twice to notice the 5th bulb. Remarkable!

The lamp holders in that prototype are the skeletonized design, introduced by Fed Sig in 1978, so this must have been made in the late 70's or early 80's. Sealed beam beacons and lightbars were losing ground to those that used reflectors and halogen bulbs by the late 1970's. I expect Fed Sig could see the writing on the wall and halted the development of sealed beam beacons and lightbars.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:
The lamp holders in that prototype are the skeletonized design, introduced by Fed Sig in 1978, so this must have been made in the late 70's or early 80's. Sealed beam beacons and lightbars were losing ground to those that used reflectors and halogen bulbs by the late 1970's. I expect Fed Sig could see the writing on the wall and halted the development of sealed beam beacons and lightbars.

I agree with you on that. But also in 1978, Federal dropped all of their mechanical sirens except for the Q because of the growing competiton at the time of electronic sirens. Now everyone is going back to the big mechanicals which is helping keep Federal and B&M in business. And remarkably speaking, the little Screamin' Eagle siren, which looks like a small version of a B&M Super Chief, seems to be doing well. These sirens are only about 6 1/2" in diameter, but have a decent sound for something so small. I was surprised! The Odessa F.D. is using them on all their ambulances, plus the Batt. Chief's car, and they swear by them. That having been said, the Eagle sells for more than a Q or Super Chief. Odessa added three new big Braun International Super ambulances a few months ago, and they had the Eagle along with a Whelen electronic and a train-type airhorn (ouch). It cost OFD $4000 per each Eagle they bought just for the bumper modifications on those big rigs. Go figure!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.