Just picked up this Code 3 bar

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Very nice! I've always been amazed at how close the SD bars are to Twinsonics in looks, shape of domes,...

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That's a good find and your SD bar does not have the quick change lamp holders, so that puts yours in the 1976-1980 production range. If you examine the motors, you will find a more exact date.

The SD and Twinsonic do look very similar, especially at a distance, but parts do not interchange easily, even the lenses are slightly different in design.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
stansdds said:
That's a good find and your SD bar does not have the quick change lamp holders, so that puts yours in the 1976-1980 production range. If you examine the motors, you will find a more exact date.

The SD and Twinsonic do look very similar, especially at a distance, but parts do not interchange easily, even the lenses are slightly different in design.

I knew that the parts aren't interchangeable, and that the inards (number of rotators, mirrors,...) are very different. It just seems that Code 3 was trying to copy the look of the Twinsonic. Not sure why they wanted to do that, as the SD bar stands on its own merits; it has a very impressive and attention grabbing flash pattern.

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
stansdds said:

Your right! Looks like 4/20/77

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
empire5150 said:
Your right! Looks like 4/20/77

That's the date the motor was made, those motors might have sat in a box for a month or two before being installed in a bar, but your bar is definitely 1977 vintage.

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
I think I like the twinsonic better because the rotators are going opposite directions...Looks cooler IMO...

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
empire5150 said:
I think I like the twinsonic better because the rotators are going opposite directions...Looks cooler IMO...

Well, the Twinsonic was the first completely enclosed lightbar, there were many imitators to follow.

Reactions: HILO

ful-vue

Aug 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
For a while, I adjusted my Twinsonic rotators so they were 90 degrees offset from each other. Gave a pretty cool wig-wag effect. One would rotator pop while the other side's beam was traveling up the mirror.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Actually, they are called rotators.  Flashers are either someone wearing a coat and nothing else and the reveal themselves to passersby or flashers can refer to lights that do not move, but blink on and off.

Now, as to your new Code 3 SD, that's a nice one!  Looks to be the shorter version for smaller cars.  Like the TwinSonic, the shorter versions are seen less often.

chucksorce

Aug 3, 2014
nj

I'm toying with the idea if reversing polarity on one motor to make it spin in the opposite direction like the twinsonic, not sure if I can do it yet tho.

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Actually, they are called rotators.  Flashers are either someone wearing a coat and nothing else and the reveal themselves to passersby or flashers can refer to lights that do not move, but blink on and off...
I would say this SD Bar has the selectalert alternating flasher option

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I would say this SD Bar has the selectalert alternating flasher option
Not so much alternating, the Select Alert was basically a front cut off and low power mode option in one package. It would only turn on the outer rotators when the bulb was in the rear position. The Night Probe was another option that turned the outer most rotators into an alley/takedown/spot light that was much the same as the Visions Takedowns with the jog function used. You could tell because the outer most rotators had the 3 bulb holder as opposed to the standard 2 bulb holder.

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
Not so much alternating, the Select Alert was basically a front cut off and low power mode option in one package. It would only turn on the outer rotators when the bulb was in the rear position. ...
The selectalert rotating pods (your "front cut off") and power saver were two separate options. Another two selectalert options were: stationary lamps (PAR46) and alternating flashers (PAR36)!

Makes overall 4 selectalert options and the rotating pod option was also offered for the inner rotators.

...Night Probe on the outboard pods and Select Alert on the inboard pods
Don´t forget the two seletcalert stationary lamps!

Great bar :salivate:

I wish I had such a XL Bar in my collection. 

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.