Just wondering why ambulance is louder than unmarked police on this video

Dr Ferran

Feb 26, 2011
Poland
I just find this video:

and I'm wondering why the second car (ambulance) is louder than unmarked police car? Because of speaker or what? My suspicion is that the ambulance have Model Project A-Flex Speaker and police car have a SA315P speaker. Is it possible?

And from other hand what speaker is better, louder, deeper etc.? Projector A-Flex or SA315P?

Thanks for any answers :)

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
My first guess would be the ambulance has 2 100 watt speakers. But I couldn't actually see speakers on that ambo so it's unknown.

I've found a low-profile speaker doesn't have the same output as a larger speaker like a AS124 or TS100 which can change the sound of the sirens.

Also some sirens despite being rated at 200 watts just don't seem to be as powerful as others rated at 200 watts. Take a PA300 vs an Omega 90. The Omega 90 will in my humble opinion blow the PA300 out of the water.

Hope that helps.

Seth

charlie82

May 21, 2010
PA / USA
The mounting in the unmarked unit could be at an odd angle or obstructed. Often times this is done when space is limited.

Fast LT1

May 24, 2010
Sedgwick County, KS
Well around here most Police cars are 100w and ambulances 200 watt and firetrucks are usually 200 but some go up to 400 watts.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Wail vs yelp may have something to do with it too.

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
Rofocowboy84 said:
Aren't most PA300's only 100W?
Yes, but they are available in 200 watt as well. Except for the PA-300-R which is only available as a 200 watt unit.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
Regarding the Project-A-Flex question. IMHO I doubt that this will be louder than the bumper mounted SA315 or the 314 models. And, for maximum acoustical effect, you need to keep the flexible acoustic tubing at 60 inches and cut it in four inch intervals. I purchased the speaker off Ebay that only had a foot of acoustical tubing, and it seemed to have lost the benefit of the whole project-a-flex design. The tubing was significantly degraded due to heat and exposure. (Replacement acoustical tubing from Whelen was around $175, so I substituted a good quality radiator/heater hose and just use this speaker to check out sirens.)

Usually, shorter tubing would acoustically lose lower frequency bass tones and enhance higher treble tones. Whelen warns that with some siren tones, the sound may be distorted by the Project-A-Flex design. I do wonder that with some types of air horn sound, if a different "trumpet" speaker cone might enhance the air horn effect?

I would recommend more recent production speakers from Whelen, Carson, and other manufacturers instead of the Project-A-Flex.

chris_m

Feb 9, 2011
England, UK
Also the car is not police its a St John Ambulance Vehicle, I believe its only got a 30w speaker (could be wrong) as for the truck its a different one to the one my local trust uses (the speakers in ours are in the bumper) when i am next in London/near a LAS station I will look in to this for you...

Will try get some more info on the car also...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monsuarre

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.