Kenwood Radio Programming Question

Will B

Sep 2, 2010
Iowa
Maybe someone can help me with a problem I'm having with my TK 2180. I recently bought this radio after having a 2170. I have a Pryme speaker mic for the 2170 that uses a 2 pin plug end on it. I bought an adapter that allows me to use the 2 pin mic with the multi pin port on the 2180.

The problem is when I have my speaker mic plugged into the adapter I either get no audio out the mic or very little out of the mic itself. There is still full audio out of the speaker on the radio with the mic plugged in.I've tried 3 different adapters and the same thing happened with all 3. I know the mic works, it works just fine on my 2170.

I contacted Pryme and they said that some where in the Kenwood programming you have to turn on power to the accessory/programming port because the adapter needs powered. Does anyone know where in the programming for a Kenwood TK 2180 this would be at?

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
I've programmed several of the 80 series portables and I've never heard of that, nor do I remember that in the programming options.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Never have used an adapter for the mics, but if you have the software, check in the extended function, the default is always 5v, but it might have been changed, or you may read the help to determine what one you need to use.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Why don't you just buy the correct speaker mic, KMC-25, for your radio instead of using an adapter. Right now eBay has some for $35.00 (including shipping). I use Kenwood TK-390's which has the same connector on the side of the radio. I also have some TK-3140's (both are UHF versions) that also use the KMC-25. Neither of my radios need any option enabled in the software to use a speaker mic.

Will B

Sep 2, 2010
Iowa
GaryErrol said:
Why don't you just buy the correct speaker mic, KMC-25, for your radio instead of using an adapter. Right now eBay has some for $35.00 (including shipping). I use Kenwood TK-390's which has the same connector on the side of the radio. I also have some TK-3140's (both are UHF versions) that also use the KMC-25. Neither of my radios need any option enabled in the software to use a speaker mic.

I might end up doing that. I still use the 2170 on occasion and I would rather not have two speaker mics. Also I carry the radio as a pager for my FD and just leave the mic hanging on my gear at the station. I find it easier to just plug in the 2 pn mic vs having to screw in the little screw for the other style of mic.

GaryErrol

May 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Ahh, the connecting and unconnecting the speaker mic. My trick is that I keep two identical radios, one has the speaker mic attached that I use for events and a second with no mic that I carry the rest of the time. Having two identical radios also gives me a backup as well as a spare battery, etc..

As for using your two pin mic and adapter, try a couple things. Try pressing extra hard on the connector when you plug it into the adapter, maybe it's not going all the way in. If it is for sure, try using a razor blade or really sharp knife and shaving just a bit off the connector around the pins so that the pins can be inserted just a bit deeper into your adapter. I have some Wouxun and Baofeng radios that use the same two pin connector. A lot of users of those radios are having problems and this is one of the fixes. Since your using and after market adapter, its possible that the pins on your mic are not making full, correct, contact and being able to insert them in just a little further might correct your problem.

May 22, 2010
New York City
try spitting on the connector before you putting it in !!

im serious....... i had alot of problems with kenwood 2 prong connectors over the years...... alittle spit works wonders

( i am 100% serious in this post )

Will B

Sep 2, 2010
Iowa
GaryErrol said:
Ahh, the connecting and unconnecting the speaker mic. My trick is that I keep two identical radios, one has the speaker mic attached that I use for events and a second with no mic that I carry the rest of the time. Having two identical radios also gives me a backup as well as a spare battery, etc..

As for using your two pin mic and adapter, try a couple things. Try pressing extra hard on the connector when you plug it into the adapter, maybe it's not going all the way in. If it is for sure, try using a razor blade or really sharp knife and shaving just a bit off the connector around the pins so that the pins can be inserted just a bit deeper into your adapter. I have some Wouxun and Baofeng radios that use the same two pin connector. A lot of users of those radios are having problems and this is one of the fixes. Since your using and after market adapter, its possible that the pins on your mic are not making full, correct, contact and being able to insert them in just a little further might correct your problem.

I just tried this. While the pins do seem to seat better it didn't change anything.

911 said:
try spitting on the connector before you putting it in !!

im serious....... i had alot of problems with kenwood 2 prong connectors over the years...... alittle spit works wonders

( i am 100% serious in this post )
Tried this also with no luck

ssilk_05641 said:
What I have found with both my adapters is I had to take them apart and found that the cable inside was pinched. by taking them apart it fixed the problem.

Guess this is strike 3. I took it apart but there were no cables. It's all a circuit board.

Here is a thought that I had after reading a previous suggestion about checking the 5V. I checked that and that is set correctly at 5V. I was doing some digging on Prymes website and they make a Bluetooth adapter for these radios. Under the Extended Function menu where I checked for the 5V is the HRS adapter setting which it needs to be on for the Bluetooth adapter to work. I'm wondering if that needs to be on for this adapter to work as well. Unfortunately this only works with the latest firmware and I don't have the latest firmware on my radio.

Guess next stop is to find a radio dealer and to see if he can update the firmware and we can try it after that.

Thanks for the suggestions though guys. I really appreciate it. :thumbsup: :thx:

Will B

Sep 2, 2010
Iowa
For anyone interested or who has had this problem here is an email I received explaining what is going on and how to fix it. Basically you have to add a jumper wire in the adapter to make it work, but if the adapter is on the radio, either with or with out the speaker mic plugged in, the speaker on the radio will be muted.

The PA-TK0111 needs power from the radio in order to operate the transistor switch that tells the radio when a speaker mic is plugged into the adapter. Most older Kenwood radios provide this power out of the box. Some newer Kenwood radios have to be reprogrammed to supply this power using the radio’s computer programming software. The x80 series portables (TK-180, 280, 380, etc) are different in that they only supply this power when the mic select switch (pin 1) of the radio’s Universal Connector is grounded (to Pin 10).

In order to work with the x80 series portables, the adapter must be modified so that Pin 1 and Pin 10 are jumpered to each other. I have attached a photo showing the jumper wire in place.

However, because Pin 1 is the pin that is used to control whether the internal (radio) or external (accessory) speaker is used, performing this modification will disable the adapter’s ability to toggle between the two. As long as the adapter is attached to the radio the radio’s internal speaker will be muted, even if no speaker mic or earphone accessory is plugged into the adapter.

Unfortunately, this is the only solution as the radio simply does not provide enough power without this modification for the accessory switch to function. There is enough power to partially activate the switch, which leads to both the internal radio and external accessory speaker being partially activated

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.