Kenwood TK-5220

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Has anyone used this radio before or Kenwood portables in general?

If so what are your likes/complaints?

This is my dept issued radio and I find it lacking. I like some of the features like the backlight(which my P110 didn't have), and the scan feature, which I didn't have before.

But I feel like it's not loud enough. I have trouble hearing it sometimes depending on what's going on.

I'm having someone program a HT1000 next week that I will be switching and using as a primary radio. I've heard a lot of good things about the HT1000 online so I'll try my luck with it.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Not familiar with this particular Kenwood radio, but you can't go wrong with a HT1000. Just make sure it has DN at the end of the model number. That signifies it is narrowband capable as I recall.

You'll also find a ton of cheap accessories online and on eBay for the HT1000.

Good luck

Seth

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Not familiar with this particular Kenwood radio, but you can't go wrong with a HT1000. Just make sure it has DN at the end of the model number. That signifies it is narrowband capable as I recall.

You'll also find a ton of cheap accessories online and on eBay for the HT1000.

Good luck

Seth
Thanks. It does. That's the first thing the guy had me check. Mine is a model 2 I believe since it has the keypad and no screen.

Do you know if the top button is programmable? I'd like to have it set as a scan button but I didn't know if it was a dedicated emergency button or not. Couldn't really find anything in the manual.

Only thing I need for it is a lapel mic and I'll be finding one of those soon.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
All of the HT-1000's can do narrowband emssions. The DN's are the only model that can do the newer "splinter" frequencies and be programmed in 2.5 Khz steps.

Still, a sound and useful radio all around.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Matt,

I believe the Orange button can be programmed for other things but it's been a long time since I programmed one.

Steve,

Thanks for the follow up and clarification.

Seth

tuckerm

Sep 4, 2014
Wisconsin
What's the problem you're having with it? I'm very knowledgeable with this type of radio. 

We have about 15 TK-5220s, and are getting more. These things have been subjected to the absolute worse conditions. We had them out on a fire with the air temp of -27F. The only problem is the lapel mics froze up with water. Make sure you get the waterproof mic as well.

I love mine. It's smaller then my XTS, and does P25/Trunking/MDC. I'd be happy to help ya out!

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
What's the problem you're having with it? I'm very knowledgeable with this type of radio.

We have about 15 TK-5220s, and are getting more. These things have been subjected to the absolute worse conditions. We had them out on a fire with the air temp of -27F. The only problem is the lapel mics froze up with water. Make sure you get the waterproof mic as well.

I love mine. It's smaller then my XTS, and does P25/Trunking/MDC. I'd be happy to help ya out!
Not really a huge problem. I just have problems with the volume. Seems like I have to have it real loud sometimes. It may just be me.

Also, I saw in the manual that it has a vibrate function. Is this a separate feature or can they do it out of the factory? Wouldn't mind having it for when I'm at work and have the volume down.

tuckerm

Sep 4, 2014
Wisconsin
On the fireground, I usually have mine 50-75% Volume. 100% if I'm interior. It's very loud, especially in the heat of things. 

As for the vibrate, I have not come across that option in the programming so I can't help you there. 

I wouldn't advise you to use a HT1000 as your main radio either. The Kenwood TK-5220 is hands down better then the HT1000.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
On the fireground, I usually have mine 50-75% Volume. 100% if I'm interior. It's very loud, especially in the heat of things.

As for the vibrate, I have not come across that option in the programming so I can't help you there.

I wouldn't advise you to use a HT1000 as your main radio either. The Kenwood TK-5220 is hands down better then the HT1000.
Ok. I'm gonna try both out and see which one I like better. I'm at least gonna use the HT as a backup in case something happens. I've heard a lot of good things about them so I'll at least try it and get my money's worth.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Kenwood over Motorola any day of the week. The volume is adjustable in the programming, along with all the button functions.

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Kenwood over Motorola any day of the week. The volume is adjustable in the programming, along with all the button functions.
Eh... the 5220 is a decent radio, but it's not a competitor for an XTS5000, and certainly not for an APX6000/7000.

Mattdecker

Mar 16, 2013
Barren County, Kentucky
Eh... the 5220 is a decent radio, but it's not a competitor for an XTS5000, and certainly not for an APX6000/7000.
Trust me, if I could get my hands on a XTS5000 at a heck of a deal I would get one.

They also just gave me an Apollo Pro pager.

Not gonna lie, I'll take the Kenwood over the pager any day.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
nothing competes with the multi band APX, at least for now, so that's an irrelevant comparison. Many like the size of the 5220 vs the xts, at least for vollies. I've used both, performance is equal.

tuckerm

Sep 4, 2014
Wisconsin
Trust me, if I could get my hands on a XTS5000 at a heck of a deal I would get one.

They also just gave me an Apollo Pro pager.

Not gonna lie, I'll take the Kenwood over the pager any day.
There's one for sale on here.

nothing competes with the multi band APX, at least for now, so that's an irrelevant comparison. Many like the size of the 5220 vs the xts, at least for vollies. I've used both, performance is equal.
Uhm....not all APX radios are multi/dual band. So, it IS a valid comparison. 

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
I don't know anything about the Kenwood, but I will give a +1 for the XTS5000.

Those are built like a tank, I carry one for work and have bounced it off of the pavement, unintentionally, multiple times, and it still works flawlessly.

Last edited by a moderator:

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Uhm....not all APX radios are multi/dual band. So, it IS a valid comparison. 
I understand they are available in a single band, but their intended purpose is interoperability by having multiple bands in one radio. Thus, with that in mind, it's not really a valid comparison. The APX series is better compared to the NX-5200/5300/5400; despite the NX not being available in a multi band.... yet. And in all actuality, the XTS should be compared to the TK-5210G/5310G, older technology large duty portable. Moto does not have a midsized P25 portable, so comparing anything Moto to the 5220 is a stretch.

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/lmr/nx-5200_5300_5400/

http://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/lmr/tk-5210g_5310g/

tuckerm

Sep 4, 2014
Wisconsin
I understand they are available in a single band, but their intended purpose is interoperability by having multiple bands in one radio. 
You are still wrong. APX 1000, 4000, and 6000 are only sold with one band in the radio. APX 7000 has two bands, and the APX 8000 has all bands.

Reactions: Chris W

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
You are still wrong. APX 1000, 4000, and 6000 are only sold with one band in the radio. APX 7000 has two bands, and the APX 8000 has all bands.
awww.reactiongifs.com_r_2014_01_embarrased.gif

I'm done.... I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday when it comes to this stuff.

Reactions: Steve0625

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Geez... I didn't realize I was stirring up a shitstorm. Tuckerm, I can assure you Ryan knows what options are available in an APX.

My only point was the 5220 isn't sufficiently rugged for public safety service, especially fire service, in my book. The x180 series held up quite well, but these newer, smaller variants don't seem to do quite so well.

tuckerm

Sep 4, 2014
Wisconsin
I'm sure he does, but saying an APX's intended purpose is for interop is a bit of a stretch in my book.

As for the 5220, I think it's rugged enough for Public Safety. We have Fire and PD using them, and we have yet to have a failure or something break on the radio itself.

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
The Jedi series ht1000/mt2000 are about one of the best radios out there better audio then any kenwood i have ever used and a true 5watt vhf 4 watt uhf radio. The orange button can indeed be programmed for scan enable as can one of the 3 positions on the abc toggle switch. Most people use a as repeater on the toggle switch b as simplex and c as scan. If your radio has a keypad it is most likely a Mt2000 they are super similiar and all accessiores interchange with the ht1000. A mt2000 series 2 should be a 48 channel or 160 channel radio depending on options.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevieandrew

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.