Kevlar Vest

charlie82

May 21, 2010
PA / USA
I am considering buying a Kevlar vest to wear when I am working on the ambulance. I have no experience in this field. I am not looking to buy the farm, but what is a fairly priced good vest to get?

charlie82 said:
I am considering buying a Kevlar vest to wear when I am working on the ambulance. I have no experience in this field. I am not looking to buy the farm, but what is a fairly priced good vest to get?

For a quality, comfortable vest, you're looking at LEAST $400 on up. All vests sold are certified to a particular threat level, the higher levels cost more. In the lower level armor, the more you pay, the more comfortable it will be to wear, generally.

I bought a clearance vest from Galls a while back. It was only $230 and is more comfortable than my last vest that cost $700. Check their website clearance area. They all have to be NIJ certified to be sold, and if you aren't wearing it 40 hours a week, who cares? Just measure properly, because fit does matter.

Decide if your risk is getting shot by a sniper, versus getting stabbed in the back of the ambulance. You may want a stab vest instead of a ballistic vest, they are totally different. Most ballistic vests are not rated against sharp penetration.

NPS Ranger said:
Decide if your risk is getting shot by a sniper, versus getting stabbed in the back of the ambulance. You may want a stab vest instead of a ballistic vest, they are totally different. Most ballistic vests are not rated against sharp penetration.

I wear a frickin' stab vest every day at work. Recently I tried on a ballistic vest, and was actually surprised how much more comfortable they are than stab vests....

Your logic is completely sound, I just loathe stab vests....

charlie82 said:

I thought I was the only one who did that! I wear a Safariland that's older than dirt, but it serves it purpose. It's pretty comfortable for the job.

Caleb

My last vest was Second Chance. My current vest, which is far more comfortable and better fitted is made by Survival Armor.

Stay away from Safariland... I'm on my 4th vest, and it's by far the worst. It feels like I'm wearing a friggen 2x4 and plywood shield. The only nice thing about it is it's thicker, and more insullating for the winter/cold. That will be a downfall come this summer (I just got it this fall).

I've also used Second Chance and ABA/Xtreme. They're both way more comfortable than the Safariland.

rwo978 said:
Stay away from Safariland... I'm on my 4th vest, and it's by far the worst. It feels like I'm wearing a friggen 2x4 and plywood shield. The only nice thing about it is it's thicker, and more insullating for the winter/cold. That will be a downfall come this summer (I just got it this fall).

I've also used Second Chance and ABA/Xtreme. They're both way more comfortable than the Safariland.

I take it you dont have a say in the matter regarding buying your vest since you purchased 4 of something you dont like?

FireEMSPolice said:
I take it you dont have a say in the matter regarding buying your vest since you purchased 4 of something you dont like?

We don't. Department buys what they want and you wear it.

I'm just happy they buy them for us some departments make you pay for them

rwo978 said:

FireEMSPolice said:

Correct, I get whatever I'm given. However, when the Safarilands were purchased, we were originally 'told' they were 'the same' as what we had (Xtreme). They weren't. :rolleyes: And that's all I'm going to say about that... :-x ;)

I have worn Safariland armor in the past, and have never found it to be uncomfortable. Wonder what gives with yours?

Anyway, I wear PT armor now, and it is the bomb. Being that we are authorized outercarrier, doesn't hurt at all.

I have worn Safariland armor in the past, and have never found it to be uncomfortable. Wonder what gives with yours?

Anyway, I wear PT armor now, and it is the bomb. Being that we are authorized outercarriers doesn't hurt either. Much more comfortable than concealed.

Take a look at Govdeals.com

They have some vests that haven't been used. Overstock by PDs, etc. I've seen all manufacturers on there. Can likely find something in the $100-$150 range...if it doesn't suit you, likely can re-coop your money....IMO

MEVS06 said:
I have an ABA/Xtreme that was donated to me brand new, its more comfortable than the Safariland I used to have
Donated?! Hook me up! I've been looking for a vest, but I'm really not sure how much protection i want to pay for. Is there a website that sells armor at discounted prices( besides GovDeals.com, their system won't let me create an account!)?

My Armor Express Quantum NIJ Level II shipped today. Got it a state bid pricing (40% off!!). I hope that I wont need to use their 30 day comfort fit guarantee, or the 5 year get shot and we replace for free guarantee. :eek:

you might want to go to officer.com and look in their trading post section. There are vests for sale up there from time to time. Good luck.

EMT-BLS said:
Donated?! Hook me up! I've been looking for a vest, but I'm really not sure how much protection i want to pay for. Is there a website that sells armor at discounted prices( besides GovDeals.com, their system won't let me create an account!)?

It was donated by a Chief of Police that I know very well. One of my close friends back home works at the PD. He was talking to the Chief about my small dept. not having vests so he had my friend go to the equipment closet and grab me a new vest for free.

Just a quick story from years ago. A member of a small PD purchased a used vest from my current bureau commander. The very next day, he was shot multiple times on a traffic stop & survived because of his personal investment merely 24 hours earlier. It's difficult for me to believe that there are agencies failing to equip their officers with armor, although I know it's true. A used or expired vest is better than none.

A nearby department is looking into stab armor for their medics. Not something I hear of often.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381