Kidnapped infant found, person detained: mother killed in abduction

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
The abduction and murder was in a county north of me. Baby was recovered tonight by Texas DPS nearby. Go DPS! Hope they catch the killer.

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas -A newborn who was abducted form his dying mother after she was repeatedly shot outside a doctor's office in suburban Houston was found safe Tuesday night, investigators said.

The healthy 3-day-old infant was found around 8 p.m., about six hours after his mother was fatally shot following a verbal altercation in a parking lot, Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon said. Ligon wouldn't say where the infant was found, but he said the baby was being reunited with his father.

A person of interest has been detained though no charges have been filed, he said.

The boy's mother, 28-year-old Kala Marie Golden Schuchardt, was leaving an afternoon checkup with her son, Keegan Schuchardt, when she had a verbal altercation with a woman in a Lexus parked next to her pickup truck, Montgomery County sheriff's Lt. Dan Norris said.

"We believe that some sort of a verbal altercation occurred between the mother of the child and a black female that was in the car parked next to her," Norris said. "The mother of the child tries to get into the vehicle because the black female suspect has taken the child out of the pickup truck and put the child in the Lexus."

Witnesses said the woman repeatedly shot Golden, took the infant and sped away, hitting the dying mother as she screamed "my baby" and tried to reach into the Lexus, Norris said. Witnesses also reported hearing as many as seven gunshots and said a man also was in the Lexus, which is blood-stained on the driver's side, Norris said.

"I saw a lady fall down here in the parking lot. I saw another lady get out and I saw a guy get out of the car that the lady who shot her was driving and get the baby out of the other lady's car that was shot and they just got in the car and drove off," witness Tia Collins said.

Officers searched a nearby apartment complex Tuesday night for the boy but did not find him, Deputy U.S. Marshal Alfredo Perez told The Associated Press in a brief interview. It wasn't immediately clear what led authorities to the complex, where officers were seen wielding guns and riot shields.

The shooting happened just after 2 p.m. outside the Northwoods Pediatric Center in Spring, which is about 20 miles north of Houston. A statewide emergency alert was issued for the baby.

Witnesses described the shooting suspect as a thin, gold-haired black woman, apparently in her late 20s or early 30s, Norris said. They also said the Lexus was sky blue or light green. Detectives said that the kidnapper also took Keegan's car seat.

Joshua Jesson said he was in the clinic with his girlfriend when he heard gunshots. He said he saw the Lexus next to the pickup truck, then later looked back and saw the car was gone and a woman lying in the spot where the Lexus had been parked.

"I thought she just passed out. Then somebody ran in here and said, `Somebody got shot,"' he said.

Police quickly surrounded the clinic and much of the parking lot with crime-scene tape, and yellow markers were placed next to a purse and pair of brown sandals near a red pickup truck. Spent ammunition also was nearby.

The clinic is in an area thick with strip malls.

Family and friends gathered outside a small Montgomery County home Tuesday night to grieve Kala Schuchardt.

"She never did anything wrong she's just a mom doing her best to take care of her kids and I miss her," said long time friend Jennifer Hartis. "Keegan is only three days old. He's needs to know his mom and she can't do that now. "

Hartis was one of several friends and family members who rallied around Schuchardt's mother, Linda Golden. She declined to speak with Local 2 on camera, but through the hugs and tears she asked for everyone to pray for her grandson.

Not far from her grandmother's house is the home Schuchardt shared with her husband. His father, Henry Schuchardt, spoke on his son's behalf and asked the same question every detective in Montgomery County is now trying to answer: why?

"I wished I knew, I wished I knew," said Henry Schuchardt.." I don't know how they could do it."

BREAKING: Kidnapped infant found, person detained | News - Home

Update:

HOUSTON - Deputies have taken a woman into custody in the case of a newborn infant who was kidnapped and the child's mother who was shot to death.A capital murder charge was filed against Verna Deann McClain, 30, according to a FOX 26 News contributor. He says investigators with the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office are questioning McClain, but that she has confessed to the crime.

McClain reportedly told her sister that she was about to adopt a baby, FOX 26 has learned. She told investigators she did not know Kala Golden, 28, the mother who was killed.

Read more:
Woman Questioned in Kidnapping, Shooting

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
Klein said:
The abduction and murder was in a county north of me. Baby was recovered tonight by Texas DPS nearby. Go DPS! Hope they catch the killer.

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Texas -A newborn who was abducted form his dying mother after she was repeatedly shot outside a doctor's office in suburban Houston was found safe Tuesday night, investigators said.

The healthy 3-day-old infant was found around 8 p.m., about six hours after his mother was fatally shot following a verbal altercation in a parking lot, Montgomery County District Attorney Brett Ligon said. Ligon wouldn't say where the infant was found, but he said the baby was being reunited with his father.

A person of interest has been detained though no charges have been filed, he said.

The boy's mother, 28-year-old Kala Marie Golden Schuchardt, was leaving an afternoon checkup with her son, Keegan Schuchardt, when she had a verbal altercation with a woman in a Lexus parked next to her pickup truck, Montgomery County sheriff's Lt. Dan Norris said.

"We believe that some sort of a verbal altercation occurred between the mother of the child and a black female that was in the car parked next to her," Norris said. "The mother of the child tries to get into the vehicle because the black female suspect has taken the child out of the pickup truck and put the child in the Lexus."

Witnesses said the woman repeatedly shot Golden, took the infant and sped away, hitting the dying mother as she screamed "my baby" and tried to reach into the Lexus, Norris said. Witnesses also reported hearing as many as seven gunshots and said a man also was in the Lexus, which is blood-stained on the driver's side, Norris said.

"I saw a lady fall down here in the parking lot. I saw another lady get out and I saw a guy get out of the car that the lady who shot her was driving and get the baby out of the other lady's car that was shot and they just got in the car and drove off," witness Tia Collins said.

Officers searched a nearby apartment complex Tuesday night for the boy but did not find him, Deputy U.S. Marshal Alfredo Perez told The Associated Press in a brief interview. It wasn't immediately clear what led authorities to the complex, where officers were seen wielding guns and riot shields.

The shooting happened just after 2 p.m. outside the Northwoods Pediatric Center in Spring, which is about 20 miles north of Houston. A statewide emergency alert was issued for the baby.

Witnesses described the shooting suspect as a thin, gold-haired black woman, apparently in her late 20s or early 30s, Norris said. They also said the Lexus was sky blue or light green. Detectives said that the kidnapper also took Keegan's car seat.

Joshua Jesson said he was in the clinic with his girlfriend when he heard gunshots. He said he saw the Lexus next to the pickup truck, then later looked back and saw the car was gone and a woman lying in the spot where the Lexus had been parked.

"I thought she just passed out. Then somebody ran in here and said, `Somebody got shot,"' he said.

Police quickly surrounded the clinic and much of the parking lot with crime-scene tape, and yellow markers were placed next to a purse and pair of brown sandals near a red pickup truck. Spent ammunition also was nearby.

The clinic is in an area thick with strip malls.

Family and friends gathered outside a small Montgomery County home Tuesday night to grieve Kala Schuchardt.

"She never did anything wrong she's just a mom doing her best to take care of her kids and I miss her," said long time friend Jennifer Hartis. "Keegan is only three days old. He's needs to know his mom and she can't do that now. "

Hartis was one of several friends and family members who rallied around Schuchardt's mother, Linda Golden. She declined to speak with Local 2 on camera, but through the hugs and tears she asked for everyone to pray for her grandson.

Not far from her grandmother's house is the home Schuchardt shared with her husband. His father, Henry Schuchardt, spoke on his son's behalf and asked the same question every detective in Montgomery County is now trying to answer: why?

"I wished I knew, I wished I knew," said Henry Schuchardt.." I don't know how they could do it."

BREAKING: Kidnapped infant found, person detained | News - Home

We got the fax here to tone out..very sad.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Klein said:
Update:

HOUSTON - Deputies have taken a woman into custody in the case of a newborn infant who was kidnapped and the child's mother who was shot to death.A capital murder charge was filed against Verna Deann McClain, 30, according to a FOX 26 News contributor. He says investigators with the Montgomery County Sheriff's Office are questioning McClain, but that she has confessed to the crime.

McClain reportedly told her sister that she was about to adopt a baby, FOX 26 has learned. She told investigators she did not know Kala Golden, 28, the mother who was killed.

Read more:
Woman Questioned in Kidnapping, Shooting

Simple fix to this case to save Texas taxpayers money: Convict -> sentence -> take out back of courthouse -> .45 justice.

No reason she deserves a life sentence after a crime as heinous as this :mad: .

Hoff

Aug 2, 2011
SW Ohio/US
CrownVic97 said:
Simple fix to this case to save Texas taxpayers money: Convict -> sentence -> take out back of courthouse -> .45 justice.

Sometimes the old ways are the better ways...

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
ta;k radio says "capitol murder"

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Hopefully the bitch doesn't live long enough to waste taxpayers money on a trial. I believe it said she confessed? That should be an express pass to get your short rope and a tall tree.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
CrownVic97 said:

+1. Just hope that the Cap Murder charge sticks to the end.

But we all know Texas...we love our death penalty :bonk:

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
CrownVic97 said:

A rope and a tree is cheaper and you can recycle the rope for the next fuck stain that wants to commit a capital offense.

It's "going green" for the hippies.

Dave

May 21, 2010
bath ny
CPDG23 said:
A rope and a tree is cheaper and you can recycle the rope for the next fuck stain that wants to commit a capital offense.

untill you break the tree limb. LOL

But awful story to read being my wife and i had our first son on 3/31/2012.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
CPDG23 said:

You've got a point. Using a firearm is too quick. Doing this....they know it on a much higher level they done screwed themselves big time.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
kadetklapp said:
Rev Jessie and Rev Al will be in town shortly to get her set free.

Why wouldn't that freakin' surprise me :hopeless: ? Scumsucking hypocrites..... :mad:

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
Bigassfireman said:
Hopefully the bitch doesn't live long enough to waste taxpayers money on a trial. I believe it said she confessed? That should be an express pass to get your short rope and a tall tree.

Yes, because history has never known a case of a false confession. Ever.

Two words: due process.

Timoteus

Mar 31, 2012
Finland
RJ* said:
Yes, because history has never known a case of a false confession. Ever.

Two words: due process.
This. Confession alone should never be enough for sentence. There should always be hard evidence - especially if capital punishment is on the table.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.