Kinnelon, NJ's New Rescue 5 & Engine 11 (9 Images)

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
This post has images only of the new Rescue 5. Not shown: It will have one of those huge light towers (don't know the name of brand) that lay dormant on top until you need it, then with the push of an in-cab switch it raises and lights up like a stadium light. These images were taken by members of my station on this past friday out in Wisconsin.

2m5o7lc.jpg

az9d4.jpg

i5ws92.jpg

9012c2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
This is the engine. I will do my best to assist with questions, however I was not on the vehicle committee and have not seen the vehicles yet in person so I do not have any documentation or first hand knowledge.

14o0xna.jpg

2vrwxav.jpg

2vxgfwl.jpg

9auykg.jpg

1zz5q1e.jpg

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
Damn, 2 brand new Pierces? So freakin jealous. What kinda powerplant you go with? PLEASE say you didnt go with a Cat.... we've had nothing but problems with ours (4 in town all 2006-2007).

RoaddoggAK

May 24, 2010
Erie, PA
Bonanno said:
Damn, 2 brand new Pierces? So freakin jealous. What kinda powerplant you go with? PLEASE say you didnt go with a Cat.... we've had nothing but problems with ours (4 in town all 2006-2007).

You can't go with Cat. They've been out of the on road engine market with the new emissions junk. The only option is really Cummins. Pierce has an exclusive contract with Detroit Diesel for their replacement for the Series 60, and as far as I know, the only builder that has put a new International motor in their trucks is KME.

Bonanno

May 21, 2010
Neptune, NJ
Yeah, thats exactly what is causing problems with our Pierces, 3 of the 4 engines have had the emissions updates on them, and they are POSs, the 4th didn't have the updates for emissions and is doing OK. They bog down and DON'T move, takes a good 15-20min for them to warm up to actually get going at a good pace. At my house the first guy there turns the truck on and puts it in high idle to warm it up, and it sits for about 5min before we have a full crew ready to roll out the door, yet we cant get out of 3rd gear usually or past 30mph. We've also had the fuel injectors, pump, etc. replaced several times. This works for about a week then starts all over again, we're now slated to get block heaters.

THANK GOD Cat's out. Glad to know Cummins and Detroit are going great, we're up for a new engine probably within the next 2 years.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Scroll down...only one post below the original post. There are 5 more images. Some people have slow connections. However, I have re-titled the thread to a more appropriate wording (just for you) :p

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Bonanno said:
Damn, 2 brand new Pierces? So freakin jealous.
+1. i love pierces and think 11 looks great so far.

kinnelonfire75 said:
It will have one of those huge light towers (don't know the name of brand) that lay dormant on top until you need it, then with the push of an in-cab switch it raises and lights up like a stadium light.

perhaps the Night Scan or Command Light Knight?

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
pdk9 thanks for throwing the names out. i didn't remember what it was called. We are salvaging out command light from the old rescue and moving it to the new one. It is in almost perfect shape.

I am not sure what is going up there. Maybe we will add something.

I am surprised no one commented on the lack of a good lightbar. We literally ran out of money and went with the cheapest option there.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
kinnelonfire75 said:
I am surprised no one commented on the lack of a good lightbar. We literally ran out of money and went with the cheapest option there.

I'm guessing that's a Whelen Justice? Still plenty powerful. (Or you could have gotten something halogen for even less money...)

Also I'm quite fond of light setups with mostly red and just a few blue lights.

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
The light tower will have the controls inside? Thats neat, ours are in a side pannel with a big box like remote control. Are there regulations for blue lights on fire trucks in NJ? We are looking to get a new truck in a few years, and no one has looked into putting blue in with the lights. Nice to see two new trucks at once!

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
There might be - I don't know. Like I said I did not spec the rigs. However it is common locally to do blue. We have done it for years traditionally and not been told of an issue...

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Oh ok. Yeah there are trucks with blue around here too, just not in our station. I have never heard of any light colors anywhere around here, even on povs where some chiefs use red/blue...

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
theroofable said:
The light tower will have the controls inside? Thats neat, ours are in a side pannel with a big box like remote control. Are there regulations for blue lights on fire trucks in NJ? We are looking to get a new truck in a few years, and no one has looked into putting blue in with the lights.

we have a rosenbauer and KME with lighttowers and both have remote controls (we have our lightower controls setup and stored in the same compartment as all the pump panel controls).

i was told by some FF/EMT's from NJ that i've worked with that vehicles with permission to run sirens (POVs of captains & chiefs, and dept apparatus) can have a combination of red/blue, and that FF's can use blue/clear with airhorn in NJ, but that's just what i've been told

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
kinnelonfire75 said:

lol, well

A) it's a beautiful pierce

B) an okay (IMHO) lightbar on a rig is okay. many dept.s have strict budgets and if all u guys can afford is an NFPA justice, then so be it ;)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.