Knee padding for turnout gear

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
I'm looking for tips on getting some kind of knee padding to put into my bunker pants. They won't pay the extra to put the better padding in the new issue, so I'm left trying to figure something out. My knees aren't what they used to be from crawling around on floors for the past 14 years and other abuse. I use volleyball type pads for training, but they're not practicle for emergency use. Any suggestions?

GVFD82X12

Mar 31, 2011
Massachusetts USA
Bigassfireman said:
I'm looking for tips on getting some kind of knee padding to put into my bunker pants. They won't pay the extra to put the better padding in the new issue, so I'm left trying to figure something out. My knees aren't what they used to be from crawling around on floors for the past 14 years and other abuse. I use volleyball type pads for training, but they're not practicle for emergency use. Any suggestions?

I know some guys who have actually put on rollerblade type knee pads BEFORE they put on thier bunker pants. Of course they where volunteers, and had the time to do so.

Other than that, what about getting those sown/snap on knee pads?

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
do you happen to have the velco inserts in the knees in your gear,,a cheap alternative if you do is take your webbing and fold it in a way to store it in the knees of the pants and it also works as extra padding and you have the webbing in a pinch

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
The webbing idea would probably work, but unfortunately we don't have that set up. I am wondering about having someone sew something into the inner barrier with velcro or snaps.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
The rep didn't give a specific price, just said it was expensive. Money is too tight right now, so I'm trying to find something cheap that will get me by for now.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
Duct tape on the inside??

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
dustymedic said:
Duct tape on the inside??
I am a huge fan of Duct tape, this may actually have some merit to it. I wonder how well it would hold up to the heat and abuse? :undecided:

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Bigassfireman said:
I am a huge fan of Duct tape, this may actually have some merit to it. I wonder how well it would hold up to the heat and abuse? :undecided:
Dont put it on the outside, duct tape is very flammable. Putting the pants on and off may rip and wear on it pretty quickly. Knee pads may be the best option. The last thing you want is a fully involved knee, I would rather have the knee pain. But really, the tape burns hot and gives off alot of smoke. Extra padding shouldnt be that much more, some even have detachable knee pads with buttons so you can change them out if theyre worn.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jesseclark2448

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.