Knifes

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
What knife(s) do you carry and how do you like it/them?

I carry a Benchmade auto blade that I got for HS graduation back in 04. Great knife and never had any problem with it. It is half serrated and has just recently lost it's edge, though I'm fixing that soon ;) . Only thing I don't like is that the button is had to push with search gloves on.

Also carry a Kershaw spring assisted opening that I got as an academy graduation present and its an awesome knife. Full straight blade and has a rough handle texture that makes it very east to hold.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/product.cfm/pid_6976_boker_magnum_ems_folding_rescue_knife/

I had to fill my order with something recently to get free shipping, so i bought this. the ems star fell off quickly but i reattached it with super glue, no biggie. The knife is good, i have used it. i have not yet had to use the glass breaker or belt cutter, but it looks good. It is a good multi tool to have, as opposed to an extra window punch and a seat belt cutter.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
My "Rescue" knife is a Spyerco Rescue Knife with a sheepsfoot $ inch blade. It stays in the door pocket of my car, along with a spring loaded punch and a pair of trauma shears.

Either the knife or trauma shears will cut seatbelts. I have only had to break windows a few times, and when I was "on duty" with rescue, we used a Pry Axe.

My pocketknife is a Victorinox Classic that has scissors. The scissors will slit clothing. And that less bulk to carry when I am performing office duties.

In my desk, I keep a Door Jamb tool from The Firestore.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
UndercoverVLS said:
I need a good knife thats not crazy expensive for duty use...maybe ill pick up some ideas here...

I was staying out of this one, cause I've got more knives than anyone should, but the Spyderco Delica or Endura are the entry level professional knives I tend to recommend. They are available in any configuration you could want.

New Graham Knives has fantastic service and is about the only place I buy from anymore.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
I carry a Benchmade 9050 Auto. Great knife with the Benchmade warranty but it is $200+.

Before this one I carried a Kershaw Tactical Blur with Tanto blade. About $55. Might be the same one you got as a gift.

bobcoop06

May 25, 2010
Indiana
I carry a SOG Flash I clipped in my pocket all the time. I like it because it's small and out of the way, but it's very sharp and holds an edge well.

The battle knife is a KA-BAR TDI. It stays clipped inside the duty belt at the 9 o'clock position.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Klein, that sounds like the one I have.

RJ*, I know, but was trying to be lazy, haha.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
I carry a Böker AK-74. It's a black auto-opener, partially serrated tanto blade. I'm not "trained" to use it as a weapon so it's mostly a tool, but I'll still stab the shit out of someone if I have to. I actually carry it every day on my person too, it's probably the most durable knife I've ever owned.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
Are those SOG knives you posted button open/switchblade? depending on what you guys call them. Id need one that flips open automatically. Ive been going without one for some time now. Not that it can be used as a weapon on the job but its good for car accidents etc.

ohi007

May 21, 2010
Canton, oh
i just cary a basic Buck knife # 285 http://www.moontrail.com/buck-285bantamBLW.php

one of the screws that hold the belt clip on loosened and fell out, so i removed the remaining and just carry in pocket now. didnt really use the clip anyway. good knife, has kept edge pretty good.

punch, cutters, and other rescue type tools stay in the puck up, which is never far away.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I've got a number of autos, including a couple Microtechs and Protechs, but I don't carry them on duty anymore. Pistols and revolvers have a lot of springs in them, but I've had far more auto knife springs break than gun springs. I don't particularly want to go for my knife in a hurry and find out it's suddenly got erectile dysfunction. And my Benchmade autos have a nasty habit of engaging their safeties whenever they feel like it. I carry them with the safety off, but I've lost count of the times I'd go to open one and the safety would have set itself to "on," from friction in the pocket, I guess. By the time I've remedied that, I would have had a normal Spyderco or studded knife long open, and the Emerson Wave opener beats them all.

RMBROWN

May 20, 2010
Brooklyn.MI
For fire operations i carry a smith&wesson rescue knive wich i really like it stays on my gear at all times.It has a sharp blade and also a window punch.For personal use i have a older columbia river knive wich is ok a box cutter for work and a leatherman wave that never leaves my side.I feel naked if i dont have aleast one knive on my persons at all times. :D

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
as an unarmed guard, if i had a knife on me without certs, licensce i'd be in deep doo doo. (this only applys on the clock, at work place, or in uniform) When im not at work i always have my leatherman wave on me.

dfuzz78

May 22, 2010
USA, Western Washington
UndercoverVLS said:
Are those SOG knives you posted button open/switchblade? depending on what you guys call them. Id need one that flips open automatically. Ive been going without one for some time now. Not that it can be used as a weapon on the job but its good for car accidents etc.

The SOG Trident has a spring assit on the flip and it has the cutout in the handle for cutting paracord or seatbelts or whatever else you can fit in the cutout.

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
does that seatbelt cut out actually work on it? I dont think ive seen more than 1 or 2 that worked decent, unless you have crazy tension on the seatbelt. I'd need one with a push button open, just preference i guess, not a fan of the assisted flip

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
Stendec said:
I've got a number of autos, including a couple Microtechs and Protechs, but I don't carry them on duty anymore. Pistols and revolvers have a lot of springs in them, but I've had far more auto knife springs break than gun springs. I don't particularly want to go for my knife in a hurry and find out it's suddenly got erectile dysfunction. And my Benchmade autos have a nasty habit of engaging their safeties whenever they feel like it. I carry them with the safety off, but I've lost count of the times I'd go to open one and the safety would have set itself to "on," from friction in the pocket, I guess. By the time I've remedied that, I would have had a normal Spyderco or studded knife long open, and the Emerson Wave opener beats them all.

+ for Spyderco

Before you carry an "auto" open, you need to research the laws of your state. Police officers can normally carry a fixed-blade or switch blade, but if others carry such a knife, it may be considered a concealed weapon. Tennessee law exempts police, fire and EMTs to use auto open knives on duty.

But really good auto-open knives are usually expensive. Spyderco and even Smith and Wesson have several styles of kives that are assisted or quick opening, and as to the seat belt slot, I would prefer to use the full blade carefully and be sure I cut what I want to when its needed.

Amanda

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Just picked up a Gerber Hinderer CLS yesterday. Seems to be a nice knife. Has a window punch and a seat belt/cloth cutter on it.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
I've got a couple "rescue hook" type seatbelt & clothing cutters. I think there's a reason you see a lot of cops, soldiers and medics carrying bandage shears.

Get a bunch of cops together and ask them why they carry knives - you'll get "cutting seatbelts" or "cutting down hanging victims" from all of them. Then ask how many have actually done it. There will be a few, but a lot more who just stare into space.

Not that there's anything wrong with carrying knives, I carry a bunch, but I know I'm not kidding anybody about what they are for. And I have bandage shears in the door pocket of my truck and in my entry vest. And knives.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.