LAPD Aerody's Scratching my head

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
I looked on this site for past post quesitons on this but can find.

Im not lightbar model educated but im sure someone would know this out in LA.

Watching several cop shows like Hunter and knightrider I seen that there lightbars that come frome the city auctions are different aerodynic models.

-Some have red blue in the front with a clear filter over the blue flasher to be a takedown AND some dont where its just BLUE

-Then on the rear you will see one left amber filter over the red and one amber over the blue on the right (when some omit the amber over the blue )

Did LAPD order different models as years went on?

BTW im not refferring to the all light versions that were later

Which bar model came out first? If im saying this right....basically what years where all these options in? am i ok here? lol

Sorry if i made anyone re touch this topic :cry:

thumbnailCAGJNT81.jpg

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
You're talking about fictional TV shows, not real world. TV production companies have/had warehouses full of stuff acquired from who-knows-where. They moved them from scrap car to scrap car as the set directors called for them. A bar that showed up on Hunter in one episode might have also shown up in 'BJ and the Bear' or 'Dukes of Hazzard'.

'Adam-12' and 'Dragnet' might have been fairly accurate as far as equipment, but I'm not sure 'Hunter' was.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
BackYardSales said:
You're talking about fictional TV shows, not real world. TV production companies have/had warehouses full of stuff acquired from who-knows-where. They moved them from scrap car to scrap car as the set directors called for them. A bar that showed up on Hunter in one episode might have also shown up in 'BJ and the Bear' or 'Dukes of Hazzard'.

'Adam-12' and 'Dragnet' might have been fairly accurate as far as equipment, but I'm not sure 'Hunter' was.

thanks i agree but in my post i have a pic of a real lapd car with the option im referring to....and some other lapd real cars dont have that option....and im also taking into account that tv production companies use lightbars that the city had at surplus too..so tv is accurate to a some fair degree in the use of lighting

smitty711

May 23, 2010
California
LAPD aeros with the speaker grille all had a clear end on the front passenger side ( takedown light). The steady burn red was on the front driver side end. The rear ends were both amber. San Diego County Sheriff had this same setup for awhile then realized the takedown was worthless. So instead of buying a whole new dome, they put a blue bulb underneath the clear section so they would have a solid red and blue. Also, if you watch older cops episodes from SD County you will see this.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
smitty711 said:
LAPD aeros with the speaker grille all had a clear end on the front passenger side ( takedown light). The steady burn red was on the front driver side end. The rear ends were both amber. San Diego County Sheriff had this same setup for awhile then realized the takedown was worthless. So instead of buying a whole new dome, they put a blue bulb underneath the clear section so they would have a solid red and blue. Also, if you watch older cops episodes from SD County you will see this.

Ah thanks, this is what i exactly wanted to know ^

I dont know why its hard for some people to read details in a question. :(

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
AerodyMANIAC said:
I dont know why its hard for some people to read details in a question. :(
That's because the way your phrased your post apparently caused the majority of us to believe that you thought the TV prop cars mentioned in your first paragraph were real LAPD cars. I see I was not the only one who thought that's what you meant.

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
pc0k894 said:
That's because the way your phrased your post apparently caused the majority of us to believe that you thought the TV prop cars mentioned in your first paragraph were real LAPD cars. I see I was not the only one who thought that's what you meant.

Oh ok no prob , i just have to be more specific next time...gotcha:)

May 27, 2010
Lebanon PA
Did LAPD french speckers in the grill like that? It appears the driver is wearing a riot helmet too.

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Support Services said:
Did LAPD french speckers in the grill like that? It appears the driver is wearing a riot helmet too.
If it was done for a movie then it must that way in real life too, right.....?

What's a specker?

AerodyMANIAC

May 1, 2012
Northeast
pc0k894 said:
If it was done for a movie then it must that way in real life too, right.....?

What's a specker?

actually not genius, that pic was snatched off the police car website of classic lapd car www. policecarwebsite.net/fc/capdcars/lapd....doubt]email it was a movie prop,..... Mr.Expert Guy

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Uh, thanks. Most of us could tell by looking at the picture that the car was a movie prop. That's why we were able to answer your question, remember?

My other comment was sarcasm.

Next time, if I may borrow a quote from someone in this thread who had difficulty expressing their thoughts, "thankyou i will make them more clearer in the future"

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StormChase85

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.