Late 90's era lighting for POV- update!

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Hey guys,

I've got a 1997 F-250 HD that I want to do a period-correct install on. I'm open to any ideas but here are my requirements:

-siren, preferably 200w

-red and clear to the front

-red, blue, amber to the rear

-lightbar needs to be big enough, should be around 52-55"

-halogen lighting is OK

-TA would be nice but not required

-I like oscillating and sweeping lights a lot, especially if they're multifunction or don't block other warning

My main choices are either a large MX 7000 (the ones with the two center sections or the extended speaker section) or the large Vectors that were put on fullsize fire apparatus and ambulances. I know that C3 sells the MX as a full LED bar now but that's a little out of my price range. A mix of halogen and LED would work as well but IMO the LEDs just wash out the halogens, making them pointless (I still remember when NYSP put Cudas in their Vistas). I want this to be usable and effective but also look right.

For the big MX, I was thinking rotators in the outboard sections and an Oscilaser in each center section (R/C/C/R or all clear with filters). The lower front would be a mix of intersection lights (maybe even the smart versions), halogen flashers, and halogen steady burn. The rear would have an 8-head ArrowStik.

What do you think? Here's a pic of the same truck, just mine is white.acimg.carsforsale.com_288353_339E9D92_9258_4379_ADA7_7AE06AA907CA_1.jpg

Also, for the MX, how big were the factory strobes that went in the lower sections? I know the outer part of the bar has 3 places for lights and the center portions have 2 but weren't the strobes bigger than the standard halogen head?

Last edited by a moderator:

Newberry13

May 21, 2010
SC, USA
I'ld do a 58" MX setup as rotator / strobe / ocsilazor / oscilazor / strobe / rotator for the upper deck.  Then intersection / TD / flasher / TD / TD / flasher / TD, intersection for the front; strobe / 6 head traffic advisor / strobe to the rear.  Also, the lower level strobes are the same size as the upper level.  Of course a high beam flasher, as well as, a pair of 3x7 strobes or oscilazors in the grill and a set of HAWs in the brake lights. Finally, a Code 3 mastercom to tie it all up.   

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Thanks for the input! Let's talk lightbars right now because I'll work out the lower level lighting at a later time. I found my answer for the strobes, C3's catalog says they take 1.5 spaces. In other words, you could put 2 strobes or 3 halogens in the same place on the lower level of the bar.

If you have intersection lights, those use a space on the bottom of the bar, correct? So on the rear you could have an 8 lamp ArrowStik but if you have front intersectors then you could only have 6 other lower lights...? Also, where are the strobe power supplies mounted? C3 says they made 4 and 6 head versions but I don't want to have to leave out other options to place the power supply.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
What options did they have? I assume a SignalMaster would be too short for the full width of the bar. I'd love to do a Chicago FD Vector with the center TCL and outboard intersection sweeps. I'm leaning more towards the MX because parts are cheap and available; I don't know if I've even seen a large Vector for sale here on ELB.

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Incorrect about the lower level.strobes. they are deckblasters in the lower level.

As for the top, if youre set on strobes, the c3 factory uppers are quite nice, I have them in my excalibur. If you want led, d&r electronics makes a pretty good and inexpensive rettofit for inboard position. Its their ledf2 "litebrites" theybonly have one pattern, but t does not wash out anything else and still stands out. I had them in my excalibur and local police had them in their mx bars. Now I just run them in my rear and side windows since my 60" turbobeam on my f350 doesnt fit them well

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
I really like this idea. I don't like it when people put newer lights in an older vehicle. Keep it to the same era. I think a MX7000 would look awesome on that truck. I'll see if anyone in my area has one for sale or any parts. 

delcofirecop

Jul 22, 2012
usa pa
i vote for the mx7000 with outer rotator inner strobe on each side then a oscilaser or center fast rotator as for lower deck i sat intersections then a combo of takedowns with flashing mode halogen flashers and strobes. Are you going with a vintage two way mobile or vintage scanner too?

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
I beleive it was Shawn L, he has rear pursuit lights front sweeps and alley lights! His bar was loaded

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Pm sent with video

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Believe me, I considered the Viewpoint idea. So if the strobes are Deck Blasters then are they self contained? I was thinking of only using strobes in the lower part of the bar but I didn't really consider having them in the top; I like the mixed rotator/strobe idea. I really want to load it up as much as possible because I can run a 300 amp alternator on the engine so juice shouldn't be too big of an issue. What are your thoughts on the smart intersection lights? I don't need alleys or TDs but they're cool nonetheless. 

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I vote for MX7K with:

--halogen sweeps (clear)

--3 fast rotators (red outer domes with a clear center dome)

--halogen TDs & alleys

--front red halogen wigwags in lower deck (red lenses on lights behind clear dome)

--rear blue & amber halogen wigwags in lower deck (blue/amber lenses behind clear dome); I'd rather have 1-2 pairs of wigwags than a TA in the lower deck on this POV)

HLF

2 400 series strobes in grill with red lenses

Single red strobe dash king on dash or firebeam with red lense (I think that anything more, such as a bulky deck blaster or dual dash king would start to look overkill)

2 HAWs in brake lights on "action flash"-type pattern (I think the combined triple & single flashes are super effective)

Personally, I'm not a fan of the oscilasers overall. I like the oscilasers/Mars light horizontal/vertical sweep effect when they work, but I think the oscilasers are junk & end up just mostly being steadyburn lights (since they frequently get stuck & nobody has enough time to constantly pop off the lenses & spray WD40 on them.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
oh oh me me me me me.... pick me teacher...

Sorry, 1997 is one of my favorite time periods.  If you want to look period correct but add LEDs, you can do that with any of the manufacturers.

If the MX is your aim, Code 3 was in their halogen prime then with metal rotators.  You can make one heck of an MX, even appear period correct but use LEDs in the lower deck.  Try to find some good condition metal rotators.  Just avoid Code 3 strobes, the ones in the MX will be hard to replace.  I'd do a center oscilaser, 4 metal rotators, intersection sweeps and the rest of the lower deck LEDs of any major company.  Here's their catalog from the period.

scan0049.jpgscan0060.jpg

scan0050.jpgscan0051.jpg

scan0052.jpgscan0053.jpg

scan0054.jpgscan0055.jpg

scan0056.jpgscan0057.jpg

scan0058.jpgscan0059.jpg

Whelen wise....That's right at the tail end of the advantage,  the edge bar however, had gone duplex.  You could still get the 9000 series, or the new "E" series.  Any edge will look period correct, even a Freedom with colored lenses will look close.  I'd go with 9000 series lenses on a modern freedom bar personally. 

IMG_0001.jpgIMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0003.jpgIMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpgIMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpgIMG_0008.jpg

IMG_0009.jpgIMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0011.jpgIMG_0012.jpg

Federal rotators had all gone "independent", ie not chair drive by 1997.  I'm not a fan of the independent jet series rotators, but their streethawk and aerodynic rotators are/were great.   An aerodynic would look right at home on that truck.  If you are worried about size, a jetsonic with LEDs looks period correct but with better output.  Here's their 1996 line.

scan0069.jpgscan0071.jpg

scan0074.jpgscan0075.jpg

scan0076.jpgscan0077.jpg

scan0078.jpgscan0079.jpg

scan0080.jpg

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Thanks for all the input! An Edge is out just because they're so common. For lower level lighting I was thinking LAWs in the taillights (possibly dual ones, they are big), some kind of LED grill lights (M7s...?), HLF, and intersection lights mounted on the mirrors. This truck has the then-optional really big towing mirrors that you find on a lot of Ford E-series ambulances. There's a perfect place to mount a LINZ6 or similar light and have awesome 45 degree intersection warning.

What are your thoughts on sirens? I love Unitrol tones as well as the older Motorola tones. 

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Thanks for all the input! An Edge is out just because they're so common. For lower level lighting I was thinking LAWs in the taillights (possibly dual ones, they are big), some kind of LED grill lights (M7s...?), HLF, and intersection lights mounted on the mirrors. This truck has the then-optional really big towing mirrors that you find on a lot of Ford E-series ambulances. There's a perfect place to mount a LINZ6 or similar light and have awesome 45 degree intersection warning.

What are your thoughts on sirens? I love Unitrol tones as well as the older Motorola tones. 
Stop throwing LEDs all over this thing if you want period correct. :nono:

Seriously, I get the concept though..... 

You could mount a number of similarly sized halogen or strobe options to the mirrors, 500 series in on a clamp mount etc.  The grill deserves some meteors or oscilasers, but 73 series strobes/halogen flashers would do.  If you have to go LED use 700 series instead of M series, it looks period correct.  You could also put some old school 73 series lenses over some newer 700s series LEDs with little modification.  A HLF is great period correct traffic mover, hide aways will look good in the older larger housings. 

As far as the MX7000...  I'd say go center oscilaser, 4 rotators and intersection lights.  Then fill the lower level with what ever LEDs you fancy.  If you want a real period correct look you can hide them behind halogen MX filters.

This is a cool project, keep us updated.

Reactions: Doug

jmccarthy

Nov 9, 2013
ne ohio
I have a 2000 f250 with all halogen lighting, its an mx7k whelen grille strobes hlf rear window flashers tail light strobes and soon added a hlf to the 4 kc daylighters I have in the front

I can post a picture if you want

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
a 3 pod mini with 2 viewpoints for a combined 11 rotators?
He might get away with 9 using the 3-pod Viewpoints; I think the 4-pod version would be too big for an F-series since I think I've seen some videos of that setup fitting quite nicely on top of an actual fire engine. 

Another idea is to see if you could find a pair of red 50-watt sealed beam lights, like PAR36 or the 6x4-inch high beam style.

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
I think the viewpoints would look awesome, and not be the norm.

I've got a pair of 4 pod viewpoints sitting at home... Came off a Cali engine... One has 2 rotators, 1 TCL and 1 oscilator... Other has 1 rotator, 1 cali red steady burn, 1 TLC and 1 oscilator. I bought them as a project... but haven't gotten to it... 

If you're interested... PM me.

Thanks,
Seth

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
also HAW's fit  in the back up lights and front turn signals but DO NOT put them in the side markers. they will melt.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I think the viewpoints would look awesome, and not be the norm.

I've got a pair of 4 pod viewpoints sitting at home... Came off a Cali engine... One has 2 rotators, 1 TCL and 1 oscilator... Other has 1 rotator, 1 cali red steady burn, 1 TLC and 1 oscilator. I bought them as a project... but haven't gotten to it... 

If you're interested... PM me.

Thanks,

Seth
THIS would be SICK! Through some halogen wig-wags in the grill, a HLF, TLF, and you are done!

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Thanks guys! Sorry I haven't replied in a while, I've been busy graduating pilot training.  B)  I've got a lead here on ELB on a 55" MX but I'm waiting on pictures. Seth, if you want to PM me some pictures of your Viewpoint I'll definitely take a look. The lower level lighting could be strobe I guess. I know I said period correct and I'm glad you guys are holding me to it! 

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
Can you retype this? When I tried to read it I think I had something crazy suck in my eye. :D :huh:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
I aim to please

(no one)

and we don't need to know about your weird sexual fantasies of things sucking your eyes....

:crazy:  

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Ok guys, while I wait for some pics of the aforementioned Viewpoints, here's my setup idea so far:

Front: HLF, Whelen Grille Strobes R/R in the grille, 500 Series strobes R/R on the mirrors at 45 degree angles

Rear: Strobes HAWs in the taillights

And the lightbar configuration: 55" MX7000 (2 center sections) 

• All red domes with 6 rotators (fast/slow/fast/fast/slow/fast)
  • Rear lower (10 spaces) in LED-X amber and blue set in alternating flashes, something like BBBAABBAAA with big blocks flashed together
  • Front lower has smart intersections in corners, 1 pair of LED-X steady burn reds, and... looking for more ideas
I'd love to get an Oscilazer (clear) in there somewhere. Did they make them in a dashlight version? I'd center it on the grille but without a brushguard it would look stupid (not opposed to a brushguard but I don't want to put one on just to mount lights to it).

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
I aim to please

(no one)

and we don't need to know about your weird sexual fantasies of things sucking your eyes....

:crazy:
Taking the lead from the US Government, I accept zero responsibility for that spelling error and instead blame auto correct and climate change completely.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Ok guys, while I wait for some pics of the aforementioned Viewpoints, here's my setup idea so far:

Front: HLF, Whelen Grille Strobes R/R in the grille, 500 Series strobes R/R on the mirrors at 45 degree angles

Rear: Strobes HAWs in the taillights

And the lightbar configuration: 55" MX7000 (2 center sections) 

• All red domes with 6 rotators (fast/slow/fast/fast/slow/fast)
  • Rear lower (10 spaces) in LED-X amber and blue set in alternating flashes, something like BBBAABBAAA with big blocks flashed together
  • Front lower has smart intersections in corners, 1 pair of LED-X steady burn reds, and... looking for more ideas
I'd love to get an Oscilazer (clear) in there somewhere. Did they make them in a dashlight version? I'd center it on the grille but without a brushguard it would look stupid (not opposed to a brushguard but I don't want to put one on just to mount lights to it)

you dont know what view points are?

you know they have this cool thing called the internet which has search engines....

[Broken External Image]:http://www.ersinc-online.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/viewpointvector.jpg

its a vector but in 2 pieces....

:D

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I know what a Viewpoint is, I meant I wanted pictures of Seth's specific Viewpoint. He sent me some and I am seriously thinking of going that route. It would give me a bunch of warning power as well as oscillating and sweep lights. We're working on trying to get accurate dimensions for them; FedSig says each side is 26.5 inches wide but his lights seem to be bigger. My roof is 60" wide so if they really are 53" then I should be able to add a ninth pod to create a 9 pod Vector/Viewpoint monster.  :crazy:

On the topic of V-series bars, has anyone cut one down before? Assuming there is enough roof space, I've got two options for adding the 9th pod- get a single IVP beacon (a standalone Vector beacon) and make a mounting plate OR cut just enough out of a junk Vector so that I can stitch in the center portion of the "V" and make it look like one big bar sans the center plate. I like the second option better because I think the effort and cost will pay off in making it look fairly close to a factory job. Any inputs on this? :popcorn:

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
I got some more info on the Viewpoints and I think that will be the route that I go. If I can get a ninth pod added it will have 5 rotators, 2 sweeps, and 2 TCLs. The sweep and TCL pods will also have rear facing flashers to beef up the rear warning lost to them.

Any help on cutting and splicing the frames? I know people have cut down Vectors to make mini bars. Detailed pictures of the frames would be awesome if you have them. 

Also, I'll be looking for a decent Vector parts bar to complete this project. I need two pairs of rear stationary flashers, a right side rotating pod, and a center pod with the complete V frame. My plan is to cut out the center portion to add in between the Viewpoints.

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Update to this thread- project is on hold somewhat. I am still considering the Viewpoint project as well as building a custom 58" MX7000. As a low profile option, what do you guys think of taking Whelen Dashmiser housings and putting 500 series LIN6s in them? If I put the colored lenses on them then you'd never even know. I'd have the period correct look without sacrificing warning power. Dual Dashmiser on the dash, pair of duals in upper corners of back window, HLF, LAWs in taillights, and Whelen Grille Strobes with LAWs in place of the strobe tube. How's that sound?

Also, how would YOU configure the ultimate 58" MX7000? 

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
intersectors, as many rotators as itll take, except a center oscillator, led flashers, 4 take downs and alleys

philyumpshus

Jun 20, 2010
Malone, NY
Nice setup Jared, that's almost exactly what I'm thinking.

On another note, what do you guys think of a Whelen Delta? I've got a source for a 56" NOS bar with only 3 rotators so it's ripe for customization. Assuming I went that route, would lower LEDs look out of place? And do you think they would wash out the halogen lighting above them?

Turd Ferguson

Jul 3, 2011
Sumner, Wa
intersectors, as many rotators as itll take, except a center oscillator, led flashers, 4 take downs and alleys
This, but either 2 pairs of rear flashers or built in 8 lamp directional arrow with a pair of flashers outboard of that.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.