Latest acquisition

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Here's my latest purchase. A pristine FS PA15A-1E. Hopefully will arrive later this week. Also have a beautiful PA20A-2E coming by Friday. When it arrives, I'll post pics of it too. The collection is growing... the addiction is taking over!!! :D :D

PA15A-1E (2).jpg

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
GSPD said:
Very nice! Is that NOS or refurbed?

I believe it's original, although thoroughly cleaned up. Casing may have had a repaint, but if it was, it appears the correct FS color was used. If you look close up on the higher res photo I recieved (smaller version posted here), there are minor blemishes on the faceplate and such, attesting to some use, but overall I'd rate it 9 out of 10. The PA20A I'm getting is the one in the center of the photo (credit to auroraborealis). It looks nearly new too. When it they arrive, I'll post more pics of both if anyone is interested.

PA-20A's.jpg

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
emtanderson51 said:
Very nice....that will sound nice humming in the Bolton Charger hah!
LOL.... well, my boss IS a vintage siren/light enthusiast too... and he just bought a vintage '89 9C1 Caprice too (personal car, never in service as a police vehicle), so who knows? Don't know if I can convince the Lt. to let me swap the Liberty bar for a CJ184 though..... :D :D:D;)

Last edited by a moderator:

72copriv

May 21, 2010
Western ND
Looks better than mine shown below. I think mine is a newer version as the mike is different. Don't know what to do with it as I already also have a PA15 1E installed in mine 72 Buick squad show car.

ai612.photobucket.com_albums_tt203_911disp_100_0950.jpg

plybeep68

Aug 29, 2011
Jonesborough TN
72copriv said:
Looks better than mine shown below. I think mine is a newer version as the mike is different. Don't know what to do with it as I already I also have a PA15 1E installed in mine 72 Buick squad show car.

You have any pictures of the Buick?

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
72copriv said:
Looks better than mine shown below. I think mine is a newer version as the mike is different. Don't know what to do with it as I already also have a PA15 1E installed in mine 72 Buick squad show car.

ai612.photobucket.com_albums_tt203_911disp_100_0950.jpg

I didn't know you had gotten an Interceptor siren, Kevin. That still looks pretty good for it's age yet! I'd hang onto it if I were you;).

The radio is bolted right to the siren casing as well, which is kind of odd. Where'd you come across this one?

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Sarge619 said:
Here's my latest purchase. A pristine FS PA15A-1E. Hopefully will arrive later this week. Also have a beautiful PA20A-2E coming by Friday. When it arrives, I'll post pics of it too. The collection is growing... the addiction is taking over!!! :D :D

View attachment 18903

It looks like a mid-1970s model. 1E is the version with the high-pitched wail and yelp tones. The microphone is made by Turner.

The Director (PA15 and PA15A) came with a light tan coloured chassis cover throughout most of its production, although the last PA15A series 1Es made (with the modern FS logo on the name plate) had a light speckled grey cover like the Interceptor.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Thanks for the feedback guys, Wailer, thanks for the technical info, 72copriv that Buick is SWEET!

Once upon a time, I had a NOS "Interceptor" mounted in my POV (back in '85). The thing was spotless, the guy I bought it from (one of the FF/EMT's from town) had bought it and never used it. It was combined in a sale to me along with a Motorola Micor 2-way. When I upgraded cars/equipment in '90 to a Syntor-X with Systems 90 siren package, I foolishly gave the PA20A away to someone. Of course, back then, I wasn't a collector and never dreamed I'd have any use or want for an "old siren". Foolish youth.

Yeah, I've definately been "bitten by the bug". But I'm not complaining! Alot of this stuff was still in use in the first cruisers I drove for my current department back in the early 80's. When I came on board in '83, there were two cruisers; an '80 Ford LTD "S" and an '81 LTD "S" (we now have 6 cruisers.... 5 Chargers and an Expedition. My how times have changed! Of course when I came aboard, it was a chief, two sergeants and me full-time and about 16 reserves. Now we have a chief, lieutenant, two sergeants and six patrolmen - and about a half dozen reserves)

The '80 had a single-channel Motorola Motrac, FS "Director" (the OLD school with "Alert" tone), Whelen PCC switch box with six illuminated switches and I can't even remember the model Regency crystal scanner (it was so old). On the roof was a Whelen 3302 setup (two series 1200 strobes on either end of a cross-bar) with a short-skirted FS BeaconRay 175 "Hill Light" (glass dome) in the middle. No takedowns (just a driver side pillar-mounted Unity 6" spotlight w/aircraft landing light bulb), one driver side alley light (basically a standard Cibie driving light bolted to the cross-bar - there had been one on the passenger side, but a branch tore it off and they never replaced it).

The '81 was the more "modern" equipped car (I say that in jest). It had a single-channel Motorola Mocom, FS "Interceptor" (again, early model with "Alert" tone), the same Whelen PCC switchbox as the '80 and a Regency ACTR-106 crystal scanner. Had the same Whelen 3302 setup, but with a Dietz 211 "Hill Light" instead. Again, no takedowns, same spotlight, but at least BOTH Cibie alley lights were intact.

Man, I thought those cruisers and equipment was so much junk compared to all the "cool stuff" the surrounding towns had (like AeroDynic lightbars and programmable scanners!!). I had better equipment in my POV! Now? I'd love to have all that vintage equipment (including the cars... except by the time we were done with them, they weren't fit to be taxis). All of the equipment had been recycled from car-to-car from the early 70's (the radios were bought in the late 60's) onward until 1984 (although the Motrac and Mocoms stayed in service until 1989). The lights were donated to the FD, the BeaconRay and two of the four Whelen 1200 strobes are still in service. The Dietz, and crossbars were junked eventually, along with the sirens. What a waste. These days, I appreciate the "old school" equipment (but won't argue the advances in technology has improved things for public safety personnel).

72copriv

May 21, 2010
Western ND
CrownVic97 said:
I didn't know you had gotten an Interceptor siren, Kevin. That still looks pretty good for it's age yet! I'd hang onto it if I were you;).

The radio is bolted right to the siren casing as well, which is kind of odd. Where'd you come across this one?

I found it in the back room junk pile of a local communications installer's shop (also a friend) while searching for siren speakers. That along with an early GE POWER CALL. I sold the GE to somewhere on the east coast, but kept the Interceptor in case the Director did not work. The Director came from Wyoming thanks to this fine forum!!!!!

Kevin

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Nice, Kevin! Did you get a decent chunk of change for that PowerCall?

72copriv

May 21, 2010
Western ND
CrownVic97 said:
Nice, Kevin! Did you get a decent chunk of change for that PowerCall?
Nah, I gave him a deal at $50 including shipping. It was free to me, so why not be kind and pass on a good deal !!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
72copriv said:
Nah, I gave him a deal at $50 including shipping. It was free to me, so why not be kind and pass on a good deal !!

Eh, why not, right ;) ? I'm sure that fella's happy as pie.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
My new PA20A just arrived via Fedex. With any luck, the PA15A should be arriving today also via UPS. Here's the PA20A (the light tan cover would indicate to me a repaint/refurb as, Wailer, correct me if I'm mistaken, the Interceptors had a light grey cover, didn't they?):

FS PA20A-2E (4) a.jpg

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
toon80 said:
Excellent, Mike! Will you be hooking that baby up to something?

Well, the PA15A is earmarked for my future (hopefully) vintage cruiser project. The PA20A I got just to have. However.... seeing as there's no timetable on when my cruiser project happens, and I DO have two fully operational CJ184s with 58 watt speakers in them..... heh, heh.... maybe I'll wire my office for lights AND sound!! :D ;)

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Sarge619 said:
My new PA20A just arrived via Fedex. With any luck, the PA15A should be arriving today also via UPS. Here's the PA20A (the light tan cover would indicate to me a repaint/refurb as, Wailer, correct me if I'm mistaken, the Interceptors had a light grey cover, didn't they?):

I have a PA20A series 2E with a chassis cover that is the same colour. It was repainted. On mine, the original light grey finish is showing through the chips and scratches in the new paint.

The light grey paint on the Interceptors has little white specks in it, and it will look more grey or more white depending on lighting conditions.

If you're collecting Federal stuff from the 1970s, the next siren you should add to your collection is a PA200 with the red Federal logo on a black background.

Sarge619

Jul 19, 2011
Central Massachusetts
Wailer said:
I have a PA20A series 2E with a chassis cover that is the same colour. It was repainted. On mine, the original light grey finish is showing through the chips and scratches in the new paint.

The light grey paint on the Interceptors has little white specks in it, and it will look more grey or more white depending on lighting conditions.

If you're collecting Federal stuff from the 1970s, the next siren you should add to your collection is a PA200 with the red Federal logo on a black background.

Thanks Wailer! You can always be counted on for the "low-down" on FS electronic sirens! Even though the PA20A cover was a repaint and not the original color, I actually like the look, and it's a sweet little siren. The PA15A arrived today and it is BEAUTIFUL! The low-down on that was that the cover was repainted (as it was chipped), but other than a thorough clean-up, it's original. I'll post another pic when I get a chance (the original I posted here on the thread was from the great gentleman I bought it from, thanks again Doug!!).

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
I have a customer who still uses a PA20 in a public safety officers Explorer. Also another who still uses a PA1000 in a commuity service officers truck. We told them once they die they are done.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.