Latest Swap Meet Find with Confusing Wiring

frfighter15

May 24, 2010
Waukesha, WI
Well, I was at it again this last weekend at my sort of local automotive swap meet. Here is what I got........

96" Whelen Edge Tow Bar for 40.00
(Not sure if it works yet)
IMG_20170430_181936732.jpg

60" Federal Signal Vector SL for 75.00
All red leds and a working opticom (not using the opticom)
Looks to be a NFPA bar due to having no rear leds
IMG_20170430_182120648.jpg

The next picture is of the wiring harness for the vector. I looked up the wiring diagram for this model and the actual wire colors on the bar do not match the colors on the wiring diagram. Anyone have any idea as to what colors are what? I am at a loss and would rather confirm what wires do what before i fry something.
IMG_20170430_191559809.jpg

This is probably the best swap meet find i have ever gotten, gotta enjoy the local sales!

jph2

Apr 21, 2012
USA Michigan
Ninety-six inches! Holy crap, that thing can cover all lanes of traffic! Great find, especially for 40 bucks! That Vector is nice, too. Sorry I can't help with the wiring, but it's also a steal. :)

May 21, 2010
Elmira, ny
The wiring looks almost like the same for streethawk lightbar.

2 browns would be siren (or center rotator)
Orange and green would be alleys
Yellow would be takedowns
Gray is an auxiliary wire
Vlack and red wires with white stripes are ??
Black would be ground and red would be rotators.

I could say open up and see what the wire board looks like and go from there.

frfighter15

May 24, 2010
Waukesha, WI
The wiring looks almost like the same for streethawk lightbar.

2 browns would be siren (or center rotator)
Orange and green would be alleys
Yellow would be takedowns
Gray is an auxiliary wire
Vlack and red wires with white stripes are ??
Black would be ground and red would be rotators.

I could say open up and see what the wire board looks like and go from there.
thanks, ill open her up today and see what I have.

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
That Whelen bar is an IL DOT off one of their patrol dumps. 4-corner strobes and your takedowns that were mounted forward. I cut the last 3 I had in half to make 2 bars. What in God's name else, could you put it on? The LED Vector is those that Milwaukee FD uses for the roofs of their med units. MFD would upfit their own bars at their shop so that bar may not follow the Federal schematics...

I heard there was one vendor there with like 6 booths full of lights and an old squad car for sale!

Last edited:

frfighter15

May 24, 2010
Waukesha, WI
That Whelen bar is an IL DOT off one of their patrol dumps. 4-corner strobes and your takedowns that were mounted forward. I cut the last 3 I had in half to make 2 bars. What in God's name else, could you put it on? The LED Vector is those that Milwaukee FD uses for the roofs of their med units. MFD would upfit their own bars at their shop so that bar may not follow the Federal schematics...

I heard there was one vendor there with like 6 booths full of lights and an old squad car for sale!
Yea, the guy i bought the vector off of said that he got it off a milwaukee FD med unit. I opened it up and there was only one wire for powering the bar from a internal federal signal flasher so it was pretty easy to rewire.

frfighter15

May 24, 2010
Waukesha, WI
there was a shit load of people with lights this year, but like all other years, most of them are way overpriced for what they are worth. I believe i saw 2 older nasty looking mx7000's for 150 each, and 2 rotator amber highlighters for 100 each. Some people have deals you just cant pass up

Reactions: 894

k-9 police xj

Jun 21, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Not sure if you found anything out, but the Opticom emitter has a big harness that goes with it... hooking up the red and black will activate it... the other wires aren't necessarily needed...

k-9 police xj

Jun 21, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Btw, the emitter is most likely a 792h. Opticom (3m) was bought out by GTT (global traffic technologies), and I know for a fact you can get the pdf of a wiring diagram on line...

frfighter15

May 24, 2010
Waukesha, WI
for an update, i ended up looking inside, and all the light heads were wired into a federal signal led flasher. Rewired it, and put a whelen ulf44 in there and it works like a dream. Ended up taking out the opticom (got it working) and put 2 red solaris light heads in the front pod stacked on top of each other. Video to follow

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W2CK

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.