Leatherman Raptor Trauma Shear multi tool

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
I just found these existed, they've been out since 2013. These are a multi tool trauma sheer(as the title states)

They have a seat belt cutter, window punch, ring cutter, o2 wrench...... And shears! I just got mine and started checking them out and theyre sharp, smooth and a little on the awkward weighted side but I'm sure they'll cut better than my cheapo pair

They seem pretty popular any of you guys have a pair?

Open in holster(locked in it)

ai27.photobucket.com_albums_c197_marknawara_Mobile_20Uploads_2272e98854fe746e42ce15b04b0893037.jpg

Closed in holster(not locked by firmly in there)

ai27.photobucket.com_albums_c197_marknawara_Mobile_20Uploads_20140501_201821_zpslpcse9gs.jpg

The strap cuter, ring cutter, o2 wrench, and ruler

ai27.photobucket.com_albums_c197_marknawara_Mobile_20Uploads_20140501_201800_zpsx8bzov0t.jpg

ai27.photobucket.com_albums_c197_marknawara_Mobile_20Uploads_20140501_201737_zpskyzea95f.jpg

Collapsed, it does have a belt clip if you want to carry it in a pocket like this

ai27.photobucket.com_albums_c197_marknawara_Mobile_20Uploads_20140501_201721_zpsh0zibzoq.jpg

wilmfire

Sep 11, 2013
vermont
Both my wife and I have these, and they are GREAT! I love the holster.

Well worth the $60.

I have several other Leatherman tools and have never had an issue with any of them.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator:

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
wilmfire said:
Both my wife have these, and they are GREAT! I love the holster.

Well worth the $60.

I have several other Leatherman tools and have never had an issue with any of them.

Marc

Careful if both your wives have one.....

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
This looks like yet another tool I need to get... lol

wilmfire said:
Both my wife have these, and they are GREAT! I love the holster.

Well worth the $60.

Marc

Jamey@NNE said:
Careful if both your wives have one.....

Thats what I was thinking... lol

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
TritonBoulder47 said:
This looks like yet another tool I need to get... lol

Thats what I was thinking... lol

me too...

Zoe

May 28, 2010
Deerfield MA
I know a couple people who have them and love them.

I consider trauma sheers to be in the "disposable" category of medical equipment, so I just assume grab a cheap pair if I need that functionality, and then not worry about decontamination or the like.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
I have seen them, and I would want a pair, but I'm not spending that much on a pair of shears that will be lost or stolen easily.

Question: Will the holster fit a normal pair of trauma shears? I found a holster a while back for $15 but I didn't want to buy it unless I knew it would fit. I prefer to wear my equipment on my duty belt and this would be much better.

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
I agree that shears are in the disposable area and I have had a few pairs over my career but I've had the same cheapo pair for about 2 years I just sharpen them.

Caleb they do not fit mine at least. Mine have a little tab on the end that curves to the left stopping it from going through the holster.

nblaser

Nov 22, 2011
Colorado
calebsheltonmed23 said:
I have seen them, and I would want a pair, but I'm not spending that much on a pair of shears that will be lost or stolen easily.

Question: Will the holster fit a normal pair of trauma shears? I found a holster a while back for $15 but I didn't want to buy it unless I knew it would fit. I prefer to wear my equipment on my duty belt and this would be much better.

I can get you in Contact with a guy who made a Kydex trauma shear holster for me...

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I guess my concern is not being able to throw them away after each messy run. I have been ordering the $3 ones by the 20 pack and tossing them after they get dirty. I do like this idea, I just hate carrying around nooks and carnies like that.

Jan 20, 2011
Lake of the Ozarks
nblaser said:
I can get you in Contact with a guy who made a Kydex trauma shear holster for me...
Okay, how much was it? The holster for this is $15 +/-, but I might be interested in the Kydex one. Is the tension on the shears good (i.e., have they ever fallen out, really hard to pull out)?

justavillain said:
I agree that shears are in the disposable area and I have had a few pairs over my career but I've had the same cheapo pair for about 2 years I just sharpen them.

Caleb they do not fit mine at least. Mine have a little tab on the end that curves to the left stopping it from going through the holster.
The tab on the disposable shears, at the very tip? If so, I can grind them off.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help

wilmfire

Sep 11, 2013
vermont
I paid $60 for the Raptor with holster included. As for the holster, you can use it with the shears folded or in the "working" position. The Raptor will not fall out of the holster. They require a pretty firm pull to get them out. The shears are about twice the thickness of disposable shears, and they are very sharp.

Although I have yet to use the seatbelt cutter on an actual call, I have tried it our on some scrap material and can assure you they are very sharp!

There is no "tab" on the end of the shears.

The clip that holds the shears in their holster will also work on a belt or pocket.

Once you hold and use these things, you will not go back to disposables.

As per decontamination, Throw them in a bucket of "solution and then dry them. They are made of stainless steel, so no rust.

And I have NO affiliation with Leatherman Industries whatsoever.

Reactions: emergency_ram12

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I'm honestly surprised how many ppl are excited about these; I just received a flyer for one via email, and I'm personally not impressed with these. Even though these fold down, I think it's annoying to carry around trauma shears b/c an average rescue/ambulance box has half a dozen floating around & most jump bags have 1-2 in them. In college EMS, I used to like having a belt with a few cool tools, but then I realized I didn't use most of them more than 1-2x per year, so now I keep it basic with a pocket knife or gerber suspension & a small streamlight

justavillain

Mar 7, 2013
Grand Rapids
The shears are not always available at all places Leatherman keeps back ordering them. But I got mine from cabela's

As for the shears it's still nice to have them on you. I had a few wicked MVAs just before I got these and needed to send a guy back to the truck to get a pair of shears. When in the station I just have the pager and these, on the call I throw the radio on. I'm not a bat belt person but these just seem to fit right in. I keep them folded down for a smooth pull.

I always have a pocket knife but that's not always accepted like shears. The only things I have on me at work is the pager, radio and these shears. There's many times when riding in to the er that they don't have shears or there is the 1 pair for the rig missing. And we have 1 pair in the bag but who knows how sharp they are.

We tested these at the ER when I was on a clinical and it ended up cutting through 26 layers of the gown before it got stopped.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.