LED Aerodynic

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
My impression is that they're pretty rare. I just got a few pictures of some local fire vehicles with them. From a functional standpoint they're entirely worthless - you could just as easily get a FedSig Legend or Whelen Freedom and you'd probably save money doing that too. But from an aesthetic or lightbar-geek standpoint, they've got plenty of appeal - modern LED lighting in the same package as the Great Revolutionary Aerodynic.

If these pictures are too big just say something and I'll resize them accordingly. More pictures are available, but these show the most detail.

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000647.jpg

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000648.jpg

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
I think theyre an awful attempt and modernizing an older light. all they did was quickly threw in solaris modules, same thing with the led vector.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
The fd in the city I work for has something kind of life that, but I believe they are single stack and was bought that way. I'll try to grab some pics tomorrow when I go back to work.

LED138

May 31, 2010
Bergen County, NJ
Yes, Ryan (10-75) did an aero on a spartan/LTI ladder for Ridgefield,NJ FD.. The vids are somewhere on youtube I believe

-Steve

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Richard P said:
I think theyre an awful attempt and modernizing an older light. all they did was quickly threw in solaris modules, same thing with the led vector.

Kind of like a Freedom? Old frame new technology :) Although I do agree with you about the led vector - what a waste of space.

I have a soft spot for Aerodynic's - haven't seen a new one in person yet - although I think they are better suited to a full sized piece of apparatus.

Thanks for the photos. Would be curious to see a video, especially multicolored.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
they tried to do it like the led jetsonic, and it just didn't come out so good.

S

sargeek

IMO the Aerodynic would be a great platform for LED's. You could mount some really massive LED Light Heads in that bar. The light heads could be similar to Whelens 900 series light head. Could be a fun project!

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Fully populated led dynics are sweet. perfect for larger units and fire trucks. classic look with the brightness of leds. the one in the pic looks like a depop budget model. here is a vid from when they first came out (and yes the led vectors are junk. but they seem to have fixed that with the new ones)

ai143.photobucket.com_albums_r132_chfdbigbad_th_MVI_0849.jpg

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
hitechrednex said:
they tried to do it like the led jetsonic, and it just didn't come out so good.
...which is why they came out with the JetSolaris - same frame and shape as the Jetstream, with modern blinding Solaris LEDs. Something that really bugs me is that you can't get colored inner filters for the Solaris version - if you want alley lights or takedown lights, you MUST use a clear dome, you can't get a colored dome with a white cutout. The only domes you can get are solid colored, or clear. I still love it, regardless of dome color.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
luckyducky said:
What part of FairFax County are these trucks from?
They were parked outside University Mall on the southern side of George Mason University. I go by there every once in a while and this is the only time I've seen them.

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Other possibly relevant images:

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000652.jpg

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000645.jpg

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000653.jpg

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000646.jpg

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000649.jpg

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000644.jpg

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000650.jpg

ai1006.photobucket.com_albums_af184_doodofnerdlyness_foe_toez_P1000651.jpg

The red Crown Victoria (which, you'll notice, is NOT labeled as a Police Interceptor) has a halogen Aerodynic with alley lights... meaning, unless it's got other lights elsewhere, it's got absolutely no warning to the sides.

Alovebaby41

May 23, 2010
Texas
The old school arepdynics are great for just some things such as fire engines, and buses and stuff where something that big will look good. But i still don't like them with LEDs in them, i rather just put a Freedom or something that was meant to have LEDs in it. But still a new look to something old. But still something different.

chfdbigbad

May 22, 2010
Cincinnati, OH
Alovebaby41 said:
i rather just put a Freedom or something that was meant to have LEDs in it.

how do you figure a freedom is "meant to have LEDs in" Whelen just took and edge bar , a design that hasnt changed if forever, and put leds in it. how is that any differant then what fed sig did with the dynics??

and personally I think the bars that were designed to have leds in them, ei. the low profile bars such as the justice and the legend, look like crap on fire unit. what is the point if a low profile lightbar with clear lenses on a BIG RED FIRE TRUCK??

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
That CV looks like a '98. First model-year in that body style had the amber turn signals and no Police Interceptor badge. Could be a later one in the "street appearance package" though.

wduda152

Jun 5, 2010
Binghamton, NY
chfdbigbad said:
how do you figure a freedom is "meant to have LEDs in" Whelen just took and edge bar , a design that hasnt changed if forever, and put leds in it. how is that any differant then what fed sig did with the dynics??

and personally I think the bars that were designed to have leds in them, ei. the low profile bars such as the justice and the legend, look like crap on fire unit. what is the point if a low profile lightbar with clear lenses on a BIG RED FIRE TRUCK??

Couldn't agree more!!!! Big red fire truck needs big red lights, after all we need to be as visible as we can, right? Personally I think the LED 'dynic looks sick and is a very impressive bar. To all the haters, keep drinking your Kool-Aid... ;)

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
An LED aerodynic looks right at home on a FDNY truck w/ one rotator in it.....

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
kadetklapp said:
That CV looks like a '98. First model-year in that body style had the amber turn signals and no Police Interceptor badge. Could be a later one in the "street appearance package" though.
I was thinking that too.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
chfdbigbad said:

+1

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
hitechrednex said:
+2

It always seems like bigger lights work best on bigger vehicles. The same way an Aerodynic would look ridiculous on a Ford Focus, a Legend looks horrible on a fullsize fire truck.

wduda152

Jun 5, 2010
Binghamton, NY
Not a fan of how Federal groups the light heads i.e. top flashes against the bottom. If they were grouped so the whole light head flashes at the same time that would be pure awesomeness!!

MATT3045

May 23, 2010
Akron Ohio area
wduda152 said:
Not a fan of how Federal groups the light heads i.e. top flashes against the bottom. If they were grouped so the whole light head flashes at the same time that would be pure awesomeness!!
+1

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Either that, or the heads are 'dumb', so just unplug the wiring harness from the back of the head and plug it into another. Or, re-pair the heads at the flasher.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.