LED Beacon out FedSign Vision SLR

fireball3

Oct 25, 2010
Lyon, France
Does anyone have information on the LED beacon, out of the Vision SLR?

There are some time now, I have read here, Federal Signal plans to commercialize an LED beacon out of the Vision SLR bar.

Is it always a project or is it already commercialized? Thanks all

Cyril

aimg11.hostingpics.net_pics_117285Rotator.png

badge22

Aug 14, 2010
MI, United States
It is available from what I understand. I have seen it on a couple sites. It's in their price books. I'd like to see one or at least a video.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
I have one here :)

They are not quite in production but should be in the next couple weeks. They'll be producing amber first, followed very closely by red.

The dome and outer 'skirt' are plastic, but the main structure is cast aluminum. It is permanent/pipe mount. The light can be switched to 3 different speeds via a switch under the dome.

The rotator assembly is the same as the Vision bars and has the same mirror, etc. 2 LEDs facing straight up. They are also going to be having a Class 2 version but I haven't seen that one yet.

Hope that helps. I'm working on a demo video but sorry, nothing yet.

car54

May 24, 2010
michigan
leftcoastmark, Could you post some measurements of the aluminum main structure, Diameter, Hight? That would be great, could you also post a link to the areas you've seen this? I've check Fedsig.com and unable to locate, Thanks Joe.

ffjwhite

May 21, 2010
Bombay, NY
I see this being a big thing with Fire Apparatus. I would like to see someone of these on our trucks? I like the classic look of rotators but with LEDs.

I have seen these on numerous Time Warner Cable trucks in our area and even in bright day light they are nice a visible. I always liked this idea myself.

awww.aps_supply.com_site_img_mod_prod_size5_277.jpg

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
ffjwhite said:
I see this being a big thing with Fire Apparatus. I would like to see someone of these on our trucks? I like the classic look of rotators but with LEDs.

I have seen these on numerous Time Warner Cable trucks in our area and even in bright day light they are nice a visible. I always liked this idea myself.

We have a couple of those Preco beacons here, or did until recently. On the upside, they're practically indestructible - you can quite literally bounce them off a concrete floor and they'll still work fine. On the downside, they're not very bright and the beam is extremely directional. The SLR rotator is WAAAY brighter than the "CD-on-a-stick". However, that said, I wouldn't want to bounce an SLR off the floor. I have to admire the Preco for the durability - it's really amazing - but for light output the SLR is in a completely different class.

Attached is a PDF that they put out a couple months ago.

SLR Beacon announcement, Nov 2011 no logo.pdf

Attachments

• SLR Beacon announcement, Nov 2011 no logo.pdf
    300 bytes · Views: 72
Last edited by a moderator:

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
fireball3 said:
Someone here has got a video of this???

Cyril

Ok, fine! :) It's taken with an older Canon still camera so forgive the lousy quality... I also seem to have done a very poor job of showing the 2 upwards-facing LEDs...sigh;

This is on it's standard 90fpm setting. This one is a pre-production model so I can't easily change the rotation speed, sorry. The full production ones coming in a couple weeks will have a button or grounding pins inside the dome so you can easily change the rotation speed.

Note that this VSLR is a special model - quad colour with smartpod features. It will NOT be available from FedSig like this. This one is designed to show what the Vision bar can do, but without having to carry around the full bar. The standard VSLR will be one colour (your choice), and will have essentially the same rotation choices as the amber SLR.

The VSLR is also available with an Impaxx6 embedded in the cast aluminum housing, facing rear, for NFPA Upper Level Zone C compliance.

I'll be doing up some more official videos soon with a much better (full HD) camera and proper post-production.

fireball3

Oct 25, 2010
Lyon, France
Mike, Thanks so much for your video! :thumbsup: ... By the way, it is regrettable that the VSLR (Fire Version) is a demonstration model and it is not a model sold ... I think just a simple version Smart Pod QuadriLED Beacon would been very successful in sales (much more versatile).

Cyril

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
fireball3 said:
Mike, Thanks so much for your video! :thumbsup: ... By the way, it is regrettable that the VSLR (Fire Version) is a demonstration model and it is not a model sold ... I think just a simple version Smart Pod QuadriLED Beacon would been very successful in sales (much more versatile).

You CAN get a 3-pod version of the Vision with 2 red rotators and 1 quad-colour smart pods. The start shipping next month. US List price is $1750.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
ffjwhite said:

awww.aps_supply.com_site_img_mod_prod_size5_277.jpg

The Preco beacon is a cut-rate version of the ECCO 7660 beacon, note both are made in Boise, ID. The Preco uses 4 LED's while the ECCO uses 8 3-watt LED's, draws just over 2 amps and is rated Class 1. It's considerably brighter than the Preco version, also more expensive.

http://strobes-r-us.com/admin/images/enlarged_images/7660-AW.jpg

Jamey@NNE

Jun 23, 2011
Ocoee, Florida
I watched a rep hit the ecco one with a sledge and no damage to the light other than the oh s**t after when he reallized the wires where under it and the base cut them off lol

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
50theman said:
I want one of those:drooling: :drooling: :drooling: :eek: :eek: :eek:

FedSig would have to be really really stupid if they do not mass produce/market this.. I would purchase one in a heartbeat- even if it cost $300.00. More so if it could do "all standard" colors... I have to run different colors for different situations... This would save me on purchasing 4 beacons! (gotta love getting to run amber, clear, red and green..)

FedSig- I really hope you are reading this..

Hey leftcoastmark, what is it being controlled with?

Travelin Man

Jul 9, 2010
Central Virginia
leftcoastmark said:
Note that this VSLR is a special model - quad colour with smartpod features. It will NOT be available from FedSig like this. This one is designed to show what the Vision bar can do, but without having to carry around the full bar. The standard VSLR will be one colour (your choice), and will have essentially the same rotation choices as the amber SLR.

The VSLR is also available with an Impaxx6 embedded in the cast aluminum housing, facing rear, for NFPA Upper Level Zone C compliance.

D'oh! I think this would be perfect in NFPA Zone C upper, with red displaying while responding and amber when the parking brake is set.

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I don't see why FS doesn't just make that clear quad-color LED beacon instead of the single color beacons. I think that clear pod would sell a lot faster than the single color version. If it were available, I think it would work wonders for people who need multiple colored lights.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
since it can be set to steady burn and act as "td alley lights" itd be a great concept for departments who use off road vehicles. it could be pole mounted and you wouldnt need a mini bar to have all functions

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
unlisted said:
FedSig would have to be really really stupid if they do not mass produce/market this.. I would purchase one in a heartbeat- even if it cost $300.00. More so if it could do "all standard" colors... I have to run different colors for different situations... This would save me on purchasing 4 beacons! (gotta love getting to run amber, clear, red and green..)

FedSig- I really hope you are reading this..

Hey leftcoastmark, what is it being controlled with?

Just FYI - the single colour ones list at US$725, or $925 if you want the IPX6 in the back of the housing. I would suspect the quad colour ones would be significantly more than that.

They shipped it to me with a momentary button on the end of a 2' wire to change patterns. It has an intelliflasher inside the base of the light, for what reason I don't know exactly, but I just plug it in to 12v and then push the button to change patterns.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
Jarred J. said:
since it can be set to steady burn and act as "td alley lights" itd be a great concept for departments who use off road vehicles. it could be pole mounted and you wouldnt need a mini bar to have all functions

I agree, it would be good for ATV's and Law Enforcement motorcycles as well.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
dg0223 said:
I don't see why FS doesn't just make that clear quad-color LED beacon instead of the single color beacons. I think that clear pod would sell a lot faster than the single color version. If it were available, I think it would work wonders for people who need multiple colored lights.

I'm not certain that it won't come in the future, but it's not available any time in the near future. My assumption is that the quad-colour LEDs are significantly more expensive so it would drive the price up quite a bit, but that's just a guess on my part.

I'm sure that if the beacon(s) sell well, they'll expand the product line. If they don't, then they likely won't put much more engineering into it. It's too new to tell at this point, but my own impression is that it's an extremely impressive light in terms of light output, and most people we talk to still love the "real" rotator pattern (not "simulated" rotator patterns).

Cheers

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
RescueWV said:
A magnet-mount throw light using this technology would pretty much revolutionize warning lights for volunteers.

I would agree, but the light is over 6" in diameter. It's not a small light.

I did put 3 x rare-earth magnets on it just for demo, so it wouldn't slide off the roof while I drive around a parking lot, and they work pretty well. If I was using it as a response light, though, I'd use bigger rare-earth magnets. I think the ones I have have 10# pulls, but there are 30+# ones available too.

mixerbd699

May 22, 2010
Fort Worth, Tx
I like it! and I've seen it for about 300ish range?. I've got some bad ideas on getting two and making a mini bar from it. I'd love to see this technology make its way into the aerodynic series.

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Yes, they should be between $300-$400. We're in Canada so our stuff is a bit higher because of shipping/brokerage charges coming into the country, and we're at CDN$350 for the SLR ones. The fire version (the V-SLR) is a couple hundred more because of it's all cast aluminum construction, the much thicker dome, etc.

However, personally, I'd use the SLR on on the upper/rear of fire trucks. Cheaper, just as bright, and still built well. The VSLR looks a bit sexier because of its sloped dome (matches the Vision pods), but unless you have a Vision bar on the front of the truck and you want the rear/upper lights to match, the standard SLR would be excellent. We've had fire dept's ordering them in red already for their upper/rear, even though they won't be available in red for a month or so.

Cheers

Rusted413

May 25, 2010
Blacksburg, VA
Surely someone who has one of these has an old ultra-flash mirror from a Firebeam lying around, right? Let's see how this looks with the mirror! Talk about a throw back to the good ole days of rotator dash lights - but with leds this time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.