LED Head Count - How Much is enough

John Hearne

May 27, 2010
Pontotoc County, MS
So, what is the general consensus on how many LEDs are needed in a head for effective warning. I started down this path after seeing 6 LED per head interior lightbars (SOS) installed in Ford Pursuit Utilities. With the factory tint, the lights simply couldn’t punch through the tint and the warning lights end up looking like supplemental lighting, not primary lighting.

For subsequent installs, I purchased the same interior bar but with a 9 LED per head single color configu...ration. Boom – suddenly the light was punching through the tint effectively. The question then becomes, if 9 lights work great behind tint, how do they work when not behind tint? The answer is that you effectively end up with 50% more output in terms of actual lumens.

The problem is that nobody makes a two color LED with 9 LEDS of each color. You can get 18 LEDS in a single light head but they are only available as a three color, not a two color configuration. I’m about to buy new lightbars and I’m torn between getting a dual color (red/white or blue/white) modules or getting single color 9 LED per modules heads.

Part of me believes that warning lights should warn and takedowns can provide supplemental lighting but part of me is impressed with the white light output that is possible these days. Some of the demos I’ve seen have been so impressive that I’m wondering how you maintain ID as an LE vehicle with all of that white light. I’m thinking I’d leave the corners one color so they can continue to flash or steady burn for ID.

Right now, I’m leaning towards the dual color heads for anything not behind tint and running single color 9 LED heads for anything that has to punch through tint.

What is everyone else thinking?

Edited to add: I've also seen an issue with side tint. For instance I mounted a 12 led - two color (red/white and blue/white) - single NForce on the back door of a Ford Pursuit Utility. The idea was use the red or blue for warning and the white for an alley light function. As a warning light, it is hard to see in the day and it sucks as an alley light unless you roll down the window. If you roll down the window, it works great. I suspect that the 9 LED or 12 LED single color NForce would pop through the tint just fine.

billyfromhill

Nov 30, 2014
Western New York
Ford should really make it a $50 option on the sedans and utilities to get a windshield without the blue tint strip. If you order a utility with the factory visor bar it comes without a tint strip so I don't know why they don't offer it as a standalone option for vehicles that a visor bar will be going into.

Reactions: Station 3

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
Keep in mind that it's not just about the number of LEDs but also the optics and type of LEDs that are being used that affect the brightness. More LEDs do not always equal brighter compared to ones with less.

Any lights behind tint will degrade their output, again depending on the type of LEDs, type of optics, and level of tint will determine how bright the lights will be. Spot style optics do better punching through tint than flood optics and is usually recommended to use spot style optic lights behind tinted windows.

With the nForce SOS lights I agree with sticking with single color behind the tint and dual color for the exterior is the best choice.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.