LED Hideaway "dummy modules"

NEB

Oct 8, 2015
NE
What is out there for LED hideaways that act like dummy modules, if I'm using the term right, that would require an external flasher to make them flash?

Google isn't bringing up much but amazon and ebay riff raff.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Thats a good question. JC Whitney used to have some, but they were accent lights and not any good for warning. Most of the LAWs now are designed as direct replacements for old strobe technology so they incorporate the power supply/flasher with the head. About the only "steady burn" option is to pick up ones that offer steady as a pattern and connect to an external flasher. Feniex cannons have that feature, not sure about the Code 3 hide a blast or the Whelen Vertex.

NEB

Oct 8, 2015
NE
Thats a good question. JC Whitney used to have some, but they were accent lights and not any good for warning. Most of the LAWs now are designed as direct replacements for old strobe technology so they incorporate the power supply/flasher with the head. About the only "steady burn" option is to pick up ones that offer steady as a pattern and connect to an external flasher. Feniex cannons have that feature, not sure about the Code 3 hide a blast or the Whelen Vertex.

Right. Can you get the Feneix Cannons that are the dumbed down version still? Seems like the second generation of those have too many modes and BS for what I'm looking for. Basically wanting to set two tail light strobes to simply blink just like your regular flashers, without having to jeopardize turn signal use. They'd go in the reverse lights I'm'a thinking.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
You might be able to find a pair of used Cannons here on ELB, (not sure what color(s) you seek but I have a pair of used amber in the shop) or maybe some NIB old stock somewhere, but I doubt it.

Just to clarify, are you looking to use these as replacement heads for stop/turn/tail, or backup lights, or as just additional warning/hazard?

NEB

Oct 8, 2015
NE
You might be able to find a pair of used Cannons here on ELB, (not sure what color(s) you seek but I have a pair of used amber in the shop) or maybe some NIB old stock somewhere, but I doubt it.

Just to clarify, are you looking to use these as replacement heads for stop/turn/tail, or backup lights, or as just additional warning/hazard?

Ideally, I'd like red.

If they were just red, they would be additional warning, however if I were to get red/white's, I'd consider putting them in place of the factory reverse lights...

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Don't the newer cannons have issues with external flashers? I can remember a thread being posted here recently, but I cannot find it.

Perhaps member fever can help you. Private message him, unless he shows up here.

http://elightbars.org/forums/members/fever.19221/

I remember seeing something as well, I think it was on someone's install thread, no idea which one.

Ideally, I'd like red.

If they were just red, they would be additional warning, however if I were to get red/white's, I'd consider putting them in place of the factory reverse lights...

Ah, I get it now. I did the reverse light thing, worked great, didn't even have to mod the factory hole (there is 2nd head in old strobe hole). Good luck in your hunt....

20151228_110019.jpg
20151228_110419.jpg

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
We have been able to use the 3 mode cannons with an external flasher but I've never used a whelen flasher with it. We had it on a slow pattern and it worked fine.

That being said for what it sounds like you want, you won't need an external flasher or dummy device. Most dummy devices arn't cheaper than the normal ones anyways (or at least they are moving that direction price wise now).

Reactions: Sparky_911

allen5565

Mar 1, 2013
Montgomery County, MD
We have been able to use the 3 mode cannons with an external flasher but I've never used a whelen flasher with it. We had it on a slow pattern and it worked fine.

That being said for what it sounds like you want, you won't need an external flasher or dummy device. Most dummy devices arn't cheaper than the normal ones anyways (or at least they are moving that direction price wise now).
Sorry for dredging up an old thread, but this comment, above, confused me. It seems like most of the time you all say the Cannons do not like to play with external flashers, but here you mentioned that they *have* successfully worked with some flasher, (pre-dating the new Feniex-brand external unit, which appears to offer only the too-fast patterns already programmed into the Cannon). Can the three-mode Cannon360 be set to steady-burn, be hooked to another manufacturer's flasher -ERM, Whelen, ShoMe, etc- and be made to sync with other lights that are also connected to that flasher? If so, may I ask which flashers will work on a pattern -maybe a double-or triple slow flash?- slower than Feniex seems to offer on their products, please.

I would like to add to, not replace, my OEM taillights with Cannons, as supplemental S/T/T lights available in bad weather -fog, heavy rain- like some European cars have, where a flip of a dashboard switch turns on brighter S/T/T lighting. I would also like to sync them with a pair of MicroPulse 12s on the deck, everything flashing simultaneously. Can this be done, and if so, which flasher(s) will work?

Thanks very much for clarifying this for me, and for any advice you can offer on how to make this set-up work.

Reactions: dovy6

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I tried to connect the 3 mode cannons to a Whelen ULF44. I like the triple flash or signal alert. It didn't work. I did not try slower patterns. I ended up using two mode Cannons on an external flasher.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkelly

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.