LED hideaway in a third brake light (Tacoma)

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
I have done it in the cargo lights on an F350. It was utterly worthless. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

Maybe you could mount a couple Ions or Ghosts directly above the third brake light? Attach with double-sided tape and run wiring down through the gap between the light and the roof. Very low profile and no drilling.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
JGG said:
I have done it in the cargo lights on an F350. It was utterly worthless. I wouldn't bother if I were you.

What LAW did you use? I've seen a few different applications like this (ford, chevy) using whelen Vertex and Feniex cannons- bright as snot and very effective. One even had 4 cannons mounted- solid red for the red lenses, and clear/red for the clear lenses. They had them alternate in some funky pattern and also had the white come on steady when the bed lights were turned on.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
The ones with different lens options? If so I'd suspect you used the wrong lenses - I find those outperform vertex.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
I brought this same ? up awhile back and was told the third brake light by law can not be modified in anyway.

I have yet to see any LE with them as additional warning.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
chief1565 said:
I brought this same ? up awhile back and was told the third brake light by law can not be modified in anyway.
I have yet to see any LE with them as additional warning.

The only thing you have to worry about is the 1 in a million chance someone rear ends your vehicle. Speaking with the experience of a litigious investigator, someone rear ending your vehicle and claiming it was due to your CHiMSL flashing would be cited with failure to maintain a safe following distance. There are federal guidelines relating to altering mandated OE equipment, but if one was to follow the guideline to a T, they would not instal HAW's, BLF's, or HLF's.

On a State level, I have not heard of any agency hanging paper on an authorized emergency vehicle for some light. Some States do have a provision that emergency lighting be as wide spaced as possible, but really if you want to do it, and red is legal for you, have at it.

JGG

May 20, 2010
Portage, MI
unlisted said:
The ones with different lens options? If so I'd suspect you used the wrong lenses - I find those outperform vertex.

I don't believe that they come with multiple lenses anymore. The ones I got only came with one anyway. They worked great in the taillights of the truck, but not the cargo lights.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Considering there are some auto makers out there who have the CMHSL flash a few times when the brake is applied (Seen it on a few Honda CR-Vs in particular) I am not so sure its all that big of a deal. At least to those who do their own work. An installer of course will follow the laws but if you do your own private vehicle, have at it.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Sorry forgot to add - all the ones I've seen installed they were hooked up so when the brakes were applied the red laws would go steady burn (even if flashing in a warning mode).

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
The sos undercovers do not come with multiple lenses anymore.

Third Brake light mods arn't a big deal. We have done them but have always had brake light over ride function as that is most important.

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
There ya go!

Doesn't the regulation apply more to the flashing of the vehicle's light, meaning the lightbulb itself, and doesn't apply to external lights mounted into the brake light fixture that run off of a separate circuit not related to the braking system?

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I was assuming that he was putting a LED HAW in the clear sections (cargo lights) of a pick-up CHMSL (third brake light). Which I've seen a couple of times and it looks pretty good, but not as a primary rear warning device.

But upon looking at what a Tacoma CHMSL looks like, this is not the case... lol I say if you have the LED HAWs in hand, I'd buy a replacement CHMSL and start tinkering with it and see if it works good...

Flashguy said:
I've seen a couple at truck shows using strobe HAW's. That in an x pattern with HAW's in the reverse lights look great!

Putting a Strobe HAW in such a small housing is a recipe for disaster... I'd assume that those housing melted very quickly. The "Rule Of Thumb" I go by when dealing with Strobe HAWs is: Make a fist. If the housing you're installing the Strobe HAW in it the same size or bigger, you're good to go. If its smaller, you run the risk of melting the housing.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.