LED Hideaway wire

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Ok, Im looking for that type of wire that is commonly used in LED hideaways such as the Sound Off universal undercover hideaways. Its like four wires inside of a gray sleve. I have seen it in 2 wire varieties, and is similar to strobe wire. Does anyone know what Im talking about? If so could you please provide a name or somewhere to get it from, it would be alot more convenient than running two seperate wires and then stuffing them into split loom.

Thanks for the info.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
If you are ok with buying stuff on Ebay, and don't need a lot of it, there is a bunch of it available there. I prefer 18 gauge wire so I just search on "18 4 wire" (without the quotes.) Stranded in-wall speaker wire is just perfect for led installs.

fp13-2

May 20, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Steve0625 said:
If you are ok with buying stuff on Ebay, and don't need a lot of it, there is a bunch of it available there. I prefer 18 gauge wire so I just search on "18 4 wire" (without the quotes.) Stranded in-wall speaker wire is just perfect for led installs.

I use the same. Works great!

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Is that 4 wire speaker wire just as durable as regular automotive wire? It will only be used for low current led lights, but it can be used as regular wire and not speaker wire right?

Thanks for the help guys.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
theroofable said:
Is that 4 wire speaker wire just as durable as regular automotive wire? It will only be used for low current led lights, but it can be used as regular wire and not speaker wire right?
Thanks for the help guys.

Yup. I prefer to view it as the sound system guys using the same wire as we do... :)

Usual rules apply, loom it where appropriate, grommets where appropriate, etc.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I think all of the LEDs on my truck are run off of Speaker Wire... LOL And my lightbar (which is a Low Current 9622 Edge) is run off of regular Cat-5 Cable... LoL

STT Installer

May 28, 2010
Idaho
Just avoid the temptation to use Sprinkler or Landscaping Light cable from Home Depot/Lowe's - even though its relatively inexpensive and comes in both 16/2 and 18/5 varieties, unless it's STRANDED copper, you'll likely be hating yourself as you install it through narrow cavities and any crimp connectors. Solid wire tends to be considerably more difficult to manipulate and tends to break easily within the insulation when subject to a lot of movement/vibration.

Brief sidetrack ->

Intermittent issue we had ended up being a single 16g solid wire that had partially broken within the insulation... When the vehicle went over rail road tracks, the SS2000SM would power cycle... The solid wire happened to the ignition sense input, swapped to stranded wire and the issue went away :)

theroofable

May 23, 2010
New Jersey
Everything is already loomed, I just hate using zip-ties when I need multiple wires, and theyre perfect for bringing up all the wires on lightheads instead of just power and ground. Mabye I can hook up low power mode, that would be cool. As for solid wire, stranded is more conductive and can carry more current too. If anyones interested, amazon sells it fairly cheap, and has it in most awg sizes. I ordered 100ft of 16awg 2 and 4 conductor speaker wire. I have been lucky and never had anything like that happen :D

Thanks for the help guys

Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1AD48/ref=s9_simh_gw_p23_d1_i5?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0E9R36F7F7MW9VZ3JEXC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
CAT5 is more than adequate for LED hideaways in runs up to 20 feet. Exterior rated CAT5 is preferable. Stranded is not necessary when dealing with gauges this small; in fact it is undesirable because it is much more difficult to manipulate once stripped.

And no, stranded wire is not more conductive and cannot carry more current. Current carrying capacity is based on the size of the conductor and stranded has less copper in it than a solid piece per given cross section of equivalent diameter. Stranded wire is used when flexibility is a greater benefit over current carrying capacity.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.