LED outfitter vs CPS Authority ??

Oct 16, 2010
Gainesville fl
Hey all,

I am new to the led world and have come to realize a dozen or more big and small companies are dipping there hand in the emergency lighting field. So i find my self in a bind when looking to purchase for my vehicle. So maybe some insight from you guys who are knowledgeable in this field.

What i am looking for is a visor light bar to go in my New Silverado .. i am looking at all red with white take-downs, and from what i understand looking to get linear as from what i read they put off more light. Now as far as prices i have two companies im looking to buy from LED Outfitters and CPS Authority .. don't know much about either . there is about 100.00 price difference which LED Outfitter is the higher priced one ..... SO HENCE I AM STUCK... i def want great bright light out put and great flash patterns on top of GOOD QUALITY PRODUCT AND CUSTOMER SERVICE . any help would be much appreciated .i have attatched the links to the two i am looking at . STAY SAFE !

UVL Linear Interior Lightbar UVL Linear Interior LED Lightbar [LED6007] - $258.00 : Emergency LED Lights for Vehicles

Under Cover Vizor UV60

R.I.P 343

CPDG23

Oct 17, 2011
Ohio
I have heard good things about CPS's customer service even though I had a small problem with them in the past, not sure about the warranty and how they handle that end, I do have two products from them and I am happy with quality and output.

LEDoutfitters is a joke, check the BBB rating on them, do thread searches here and on the web. Nothing but complaints and straight up robbing people on warranty returns. I highly advise you to steer clear.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Well I would go with CPS. Led outfitters is well known for crappy customer service. I have purchased a few things from CPS and while I waited a while to get them the lights were worth the wait

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
I respectfully would like to disagree with Jared - I have a few products from CPS Authority. 4 LED Hideaways (identical to Whelen Vertexs) and a replica of a dual talon...the light output of the lights and quality is top notch in my honest opinion. I was lucky and didn't have to wait very long for my lights as they already had them made and in stock. Keith is a great guy to do business with. But on the same note, I do agree with Jared on the China crap from STL and those other brands. But CPS Authoritys lights just seem of better quality to me and I'm not the only one who will say that. But to each their own opinion...after all it's your truck and your money your playing with..so you do what you want! :thumbsup:

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
Jared @ 911Lights said:
All the same junk along with Speed Tech, Extreme Tactical Dynamics, 911Signal, Uniform Warehouse, Auto Direct Save, Prestige, etc, etc, etc ...

Made in China with little attention to detail, and quantity and over quality, customer service is great if the product fails, but why should it fail in the first place?
With all due respect, this is completely wrong. LED Outfitters and CPS Authority both have different overseas manufacturers than "Speed Tech, Extreme Tactical Dynamics, 911Signal, Uniform Warehouse, Auto Direct Save, Prestige, etc, etc, etc ..."

Even Whelen, Code 3, Fed Sig etc have defective products from time to time. What do they do when this arises? Warranty the defective product with a replacement.

American made products are great, and the quality is there, however there are many alternative products out there that are great quality as well. Not everyone can afford a new American made light, or even a used one in many instances. Take an Avenger for example; New they go for $200 and used they go for $135-150.

Just because it is a less expensive product doesn't mean it is "crap." But don't take my word for it, ask any of my customers.

Last edited by a moderator:

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
I would suggest searching ELB for both businesses. In this industry, reputation is almost everything. The old addage of "you get what you pay for" rings true.

Also, if memory serves, many CPS vendors have been banned from the board for unscrupulous business practices. Just do your homework before investing your hard earned money. I'd recommend on using an established brand of products that honors a 5 year warranty on their LED products, is widely used throughout the industry, and stands the test of time.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA

FreshDave04

Jun 30, 2010
Elkhart, IN
tom said:
That was "911 Outfitters LLC."

Different company, different owner(s), different altogether.

Precisely why I said "vendors". The point being, the OP needs to do his homework not only on the brand of products he's purchasing, but whom he is purchasing from. I'm well aware that they are not one in the same. Just like you selling LED Outfitters products, but branding them as your own. You're not LED Outfitters/SLK, but you are a vendor for those products.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
AWL is a prime example of a company with a good reputation that offers overseas products.

If the products that LED Outfitters offers were truly "crap," then I would have a terrible reputation as I offer the same products. But I don't. People tell me all of the time that I offer a quality product, and in many cases, they say that it is a great comparable alternative to Whelen.

Yes, by all means do your homework. Research the companies, the products they offer, and try to find some product reviews by customers. There are companies with good reputations out there that offer quality emergency lighting products other than the Big 5 brands. In the end, it is really only your opinion that counts. Get a product, and see how you like it for yourself. You be the judge.

Forgive me if this seems like a rant. I guess I am just partial because I offer the products I do, and I take it personally when someone degrades them. By no means am I trying to persuade you to buy any particular product. All I'm saying is that just because it isn't made in the US, or just because it isn't a Whelen light doesn't mean it is bad quality.

Newton15

Oct 3, 2010
Michigan, USA
Personally, awhile back when I ordered from LED Outfitters before I heard the horror stories, I did not have any problems with customer service or the quality of the lights as they are still in service. However, I know someone who had a bad experience with LED outfitters, when they shipped the wrong light and then it was impossible to get the order corrected. I also know of someone who had a very displeasing experience with CPS in both light quality and customer service.

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
tom said:
AWL is a prime example of a company with a good reputation that offers overseas products.

If the products that LED Outfitters offers were truly "crap," then I would have a terrible reputation as I offer the same products. But I don't. People tell me all of the time that I offer a quality product, and in many cases, they say that it is a great comparable alternative to Whelen.

Yes, by all means do your homework. Research the companies, the products they offer, and try to find some product reviews by customers. There are companies with good reputations out there that offer quality emergency lighting products other than the Big 5 brands. In the end, it is really only your opinion that counts. Get a product, and see how you like it for yourself. You be the judge.

Forgive me if this seems like a rant. I guess I am just partial because I offer the products I do, and I take it personally when someone degrades them. By no means am I trying to persuade you to buy any particular product. All I'm saying is that just because it isn't made in the US, or just because it isn't a Whelen light doesn't mean it is bad quality.

I agree with Tom. I have 4 of his T-4 grille lights and taking someone who didn't know where I got them, they ask me if those are Whelens or what are they? The light output is great, price was great, customer service was great...so I personally don't care if it is an overseas product or made right here in my home town. But like everyone else said, do the research before purchasing and you'll be ok. :thumbsup:

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've looked into those two companies as well, and read the reviews. My best experiences so far have been with "ResponderPSE" and currently I'm looking at some star products with ************ (Yep, I'm the pain in the rear guy with many questions about the phantom), and he has been more than helpful and patient with all of my questions. Star and Feniex, two brands that I use seem to be of excellent quality.

For your purpose, from ResponderPSE, you could get a Feniex Pegasus which has 10 modules. The bar is completely customizable so you can have whichever color you want, wherever you want it. You can also get two or even 4 takedowns, again, wherever you want them, or leave of to 4 black modules (still look light light heads) to bring the cost down.

From *******, You could get yourself a Star/SVP ULB24 Split phantom lightbar which has the perk of two angles LED modules for intersection clearing. This light has a burst mode option where the entire bar basically becomes one big takedown light for a per-determined length of time They also have the best price I can find on this bar and the best shipping rates as well

Hope I'm of help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 16, 2010
Gainesville fl
Thank you all for the input , i guess i am looking for the best bang for my buck , yes you get what you pay for , but what i also found out was that it coul take up to 4 weeks for most to ship out.. just not my cup of tea... i am looking for a good visor light no more then 400 and ships to the door within two weeks no more. but maybe i am being to picky or have high hopes.

NERT11

Jul 3, 2012
Ontario, Canada
flfirefighter2220 said:
Thank you all for the input , i guess i am looking for the best bang for my buck , yes you get what you pay for , but what i also found out was that it coul take up to 4 weeks for most to ship out.. just not my cup of tea... i am looking for a good visor light no more then 400 and ships to the door within two weeks no more. but maybe i am being to picky or have high hopes.

If you get a Feniex pegasus with 4 modules blank, it will bring the price under $400. With only two blanks it's mid 400's, and it has specific brackets for your truck

dawson75

May 20, 2010
OHIO
+ 1 for feniex.

I really like their product and had great customer service when the surface mounts were not sent for my bar they shipped them to me free of charge.

LOVE FENIEX!

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
I would venture to say that anyone can sell lights (or computers, or make 3-star Michelin food, or cars...) but the service makes the difference.

We went from US-made products to "overseas" a while back, although we remained with one manufacturer, Juluen/Brookings and the Axixtech range of products. Good prices, decent quality, and as our unmarked units do real "urgent" runs probably no more than 10 times a year, it's worth every penny. Our supplier is Eurotec, based in South Western France.

Jecfire

May 28, 2010
USA, Florida
I don't know about CPS Authority, but LED OUTFITTERS is horrible, their customer service sucks and LEDGUY is a thief. It doesn't take long to search ELB and figure that out. I admit that I should have searched and asked questions prior to ordering from them, and that was my screw-up. Also, check the BBB and Ripoff reports for more info. Bottom line, stay away from LED OUFITTERS.

Ripoff report link:

LED-OUTFITTERS | Ripoff Report | Complaints Reviews Scams Lawsuits Frauds Reported

BBB link:

LED Outfitters Review - LIGHTING FIXTURES-RETAIL in Great Neck, NY - BBB Business Review - BBB serving Metropolitan New York, Long Island, and the Mid-Hudson Region

mcpd2025

May 20, 2010
Maryland, USA
firemedic10584 said:
I have a few products from CPS Authority. 4 LED Hideaways (identical to Whelen Vertexs) and a replica of a dual talon...the light output of the lights and quality is top notch in my honest opinion.
I have to respectfully disagree with you here. Saying the light output is top notch suggests that this light is as bright, if not brighter, than other lights on the market, and its just not true. My buddy has a CPS Talon knockoff as the main front light and it was pretty dim. I found him a used FS Viper on the board for a good price (about equal to a new knockoff light) and we installed that in his truck. The Viper is WAY brighter than the CPS knockoff. There is no comparision between the two. The Viper is brighter, further, during the day than the CPS was at night. At night, from distance, its hard to even tell that he has 2 lights, because the Viper is so much friggin brighter

To the OP, you get what you pay for. Believe me, I have tried to find cheaper lights, but more often than not your El Cheapo lights aren't going to get the job done. Your best bet is to search the classifieds here and find a used name brand light that meets your needs. I know you said you wanted takedowns, but I doubt you'll really use them for anything other than additional warning. You are looking at a knockoff for $260, I might suggest you try to find 2 used dual Talons, Avengers, Vipers, Slimlighters (or any other name brand dash light) and use them instead. Mount them on other side of the RVM, you might be amazed at how much light they will throw, plus it will take up less real estate and be adaptable to the next car you buy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.