Wanted LED replacements for ambulance

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
My small FD has a '02 Ford F-450/Marque ambulance. My Chief is looking to replace all the exterior Weldon strobes (with the exception of the Whelen lightbar) including the stop/tail/turn signal/reverse. The strobes are completely washed out in the daylight. We are a small FD and though my Chief did not give me a number, I was told to keep it "as cheap as possible." Not sure we can afford new right now

He told me at a minimum to keep the colors the same, with the grille, fenders and lights over the wheels being a red/clear split. Lenses can be clear if necessary.

Pics for reference. Please let me know what you have! Thanks!

Attachments

• M542 fender.jpg
    M542 fender.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 21
  • M542 front.jpg
    M542 front.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 16
  • M542 rear.jpg
    M542 rear.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 14
  • M542 side.jpg
    M542 side.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 16

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
You are going to have a few different options but in reality the main one is going to be Whelen 900 super leds for the box and 700 for the cab. Keep in mind that strobes run off strobe power supplies which you will need to remove and can probably sell (possibly to me) to offset the cost of the new lights. LEDs theoretically contain their own flashers, but that would result in a completely asynchronous setup with no pattern whatsoever. There are simple, inexpensive LED flashers designed exactly for this purpose that could mount right where your strobe supplies were and use the same wiring. I have several of these flashers they generally go for about $100 and you would be able to keep all of the same controls and wiring.

Every major company makes a 9x7 and 7x3 led, but sticking to Whelen likely won't be a cost difference and may be easier to setup.

You can also replace every single light in front lightbar, with 700 series LEDs as well. At minimum you would need 12 900s and 6 700s. If you want to do the light bar that would add. 3 or 7 more 700s.

Used 900s and 700s go for about $100 a lighthead which us really cheap considering the strobe bulbs cost almost that.

I'm not sure where you are in Ohio but I have done several of these conversions and I'm in Northwest Ohio. If you obtain these items and would like help with the swap out, I would be happy to assist. As long as it's for a public safety department, I generally don't charge if you have your own supplies and let me have the "throw away" parts that we replace.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
I just took in a bunch of 9x7 and 7x3 Weldon LEDs. PM me directly if you are interested, I can give you one helluva deal on the lot. Thanks, wolfman
For what it is worth Weldon, Code 3 and Federal Signal 9x7 and 7x3 LEDs of modern nature will work just as well, there would still be a need for a flasher to replace the strobe supply.

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
You are going to have a few different options but in reality the main one is going to be Whelen 900 super leds for the box and 700 for the cab. Keep in mind that strobes run off strobe power supplies which you will need to remove and can probably sell (possibly to me) to offset the cost of the new lights. LEDs theoretically contain their own flashers, but that would result in a completely asynchronous setup with no pattern whatsoever. There are simple, inexpensive LED flashers designed exactly for this purpose that could mount right where your strobe supplies were and use the same wiring. I have several of these flashers they generally go for about $100 and you would be able to keep all of the same controls and wiring.

Every major company makes a 9x7 and 7x3 led, but sticking to Whelen likely won't be a cost difference and may be easier to setup.

You can also replace every single light in front lightbar, with 700 series LEDs as well. At minimum you would need 12 900s and 6 700s. If you want to do the light bar that would add. 3 or 7 more 700s.

Used 900s and 700s go for about $100 a lighthead which us really cheap considering the strobe bulbs cost almost that.

I'm not sure where you are in Ohio but I have done several of these conversions and I'm in Northwest Ohio. If you obtain these items and would like help with the swap out, I would be happy to assist. As long as it's for a public safety department, I generally don't charge if you have your own supplies and let me have the "throw away" parts that we replace.

Ill PM you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.