LED Reverse lights- need some suggestions

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Hey all,

I'm doing some upgrading on my car and decided I want to change out the reverse lights. They are a 3156 bulb model. I'm looking to upgrade to LED's- but have not dabbled with led lights (other than my Whelen HALO's- which I love) I need something that is very bright- blinding bright. Even the stock (or high wattage) reverse halogens don't cut it for me.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm also hoping to find a solution that is sold overseas, to keep costs down. I'm sure someone on here has done this before...?

Thanks all.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
All of the LED replacements for factory locations while appearing bright, dont throw out a usable amount of light. So in other words, others will see that you are in reverse, but you still won't be able to see great while hacking up...

Depending on the vehicle you're going to my using, I'd suggest the MULE from Michaina ELS... But that is going to be WAY out of your suggested price range...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Need it to look as stock as possible, so mules are outta the question. (although, I wish I could do that..)

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I'm trying to keep costs around $40.00... I also don't have space underneath my rear bumper for any aux lighting, more so with Canadian winters. (they will get ripped off in a snowbank)

I'm also wanting them to go in place of the reverse lights so the TLF can work with them.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
unlisted said:
I'm trying to keep costs around $40.00... I also don't have space underneath my rear bumper for any aux lighting, more so with Canadian winters. (they will get ripped off in a snowbank)

I'm also wanting them to go in place of the reverse lights so the TLF can work with them.

I'd contact the company I posted. Tell them your a mod on an led lighting website and you want to do a review on their product and it's possibility for emergency vehicle use. They might send you a couple for cheap or free. If they work good with the TLF, I'd buy them.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Flashguy said:
I'd contact the company I posted. Tell them your a mod on an led lighting website and you want to do a review on their product and it's possibility for emergency vehicle use. They might send you a couple for cheap or free. If they work good with the TLF, I'd buy them.

Yea, uh, I don't abuse my "mod" status like that at all... If someone comes to me, I'll consider reviewing an item- I don't ever solicit.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
unlisted said:
Yea, uh, I don't abuse my "mod" status like that at all... If someone comes to me, I'll consider reviewing an item- I don't ever solicit.

I don't see it as abuse to help sell a product in a new market. Your not demanding free products. Anyways, good luck with your search. Let us know what you buy and if it works with the TLF. I'm interested in that idea now...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
LED said:
Take a look at the super spots listed about 1/2 way down. $24.99ea.

3157 Tail Light Brake Light Turn Signal LED Bulbs

That would be close to what I am looking for, and would work ideally with my taillight/reverse housing since the light only "fires" in one direction- do you have any actual experience with these? Are they brighter than actual stock halogen reverse lights?

Photo of taillights in question:

taillights.jpg

Also, does anyone know of any dropshippers who sell these for a better price?

... Not considering cost, I'm almost tempted to toss in some SOS universal undercovers, but I'd have to heavily modify the housing..

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
I know OEM LED replacements mess with the LCM in a Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis

I am a huge fan of the newer Mustang's LED sequential tail lights. I know there are kits to mod the older stangs to make the taillights sequential.

Flashguy

Jan 4, 2011
United States, Florida
FireEMSPolice said:
I know OEM LED replacements mess with the LCM in a Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis

I am a huge fan of the newer Mustang's LED sequential tail lights. I know there are kits to mod the older stangs to make the taillights sequential.

Sequential Turn Signals, One Touch Turn Signals, Challenger Sequential Taillights, Sequential Tail Lights, Mustang, Dynamite Stick Sequential, Pulsing Brake Light Pulser Flasher, Amrerican Muscle, Stack Racing, One Touch, Blink Blink, Corvette Flashe

Had it on my charger, great company to deal with.

As far as the computer issue, The LED I posted earlier guarantees not to cause any issues with the computer.

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Something to keep in mind is that if you are planning to flash the reverse lights with the tail lights, you will need 1 way diodes to prevent back feed to or from the other light. Example: when I did this on my silverado years ago, any time I stepped on the brakes, the back feed will go through the flasher and the reverse lights would flash. But if you're only flashing the reverse lights, it shouldn't be a problem. Here's what it looked like with only the reverse lights hooked up (with a really crappy old camera phone)

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg245_DaveCN5_th_03_02_08_2100.jpg

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I've got my TLF totally separate from the brake/turn lights... :cool:

... Maybe one day I'll explain it all.. maybe. ;)

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Well, the bulbs are VERY bright, but do not fit the 3156 connector properly, and won't seat/stay put.

Kind of a bluish light when photos/video taken, but to the eye is a very bright clear white. Easily outshone the stock reverse light bulbs.

I'll be selling these shortly as they won't fit my car.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
unlisted said:
Well, the bulbs are VERY bright, but do not fit the 3156 connector properly, and won't seat/stay put.

Kind of a bluish light when photos/video taken, but to the eye is a very bright clear white. Easily outshone the stock reverse light bulbs.

I'll be selling these shortly as they won't fit my car.

Unlisted,

Did you post a review of these anywhere? I have been looking to get some LED replacements for my truck, if not the same place you got them from, at least similar, or another manufacturer.

I know camarossrsin10 had a set installed in his http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/1995-yukon-25628/, hooked to a flasher as well as stork reverse function, and it looks pretty decent.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Zapp Brannigan said:
Unlisted,

Did you post a review of these anywhere? I have been looking to get some LED replacements for my truck, if not the same place you got them from, at least similar, or another manufacturer.

I know camarossrsin10 had a set installed in his http://elightbars.org/forums/f34/1995-yukon-25628/, hooked to a flasher as well as stork reverse function, and it looks pretty decent.

you can purchase my set if you want.

bigcat

May 20, 2010
Hartford County, CT
I bought these LED reverse lights from Retro-Solutions:

Pair 3156 3157 T20 5W CREE LED Reverse bulbs

They are based in CT. I bought the version with the radial LEDs. They replaced my 3047 stock bulbs.

To provide a quick review of them, I would say when you are looking at the bulb (i.e. people recognizing you're backing up), they are a lot brighter than stock. As for light they provide the driver for backing up, it is hard to determine if there is any gain over the stock halogens because it is a different type of light. Whereas halogen is more of a soft yellow light, this is a crisp white light. I wouldn't say it projects anymore than stock though.

I read about them on a GM truck board: CREE 5W LED Back Up Lights Lights - GM-Trucks.com

People seem to like them.

jluisi86

Jul 12, 2010
Poconos, PA
I just installed these exact lights in my 2011 Sierra and i am very happy with them. Like stated before they project a very crisp white light and brighter than the stock bulbs.

bigcat said:
I bought these LED reverse lights from Retro-Solutions:

Pair 3156 3157 T20 5W CREE LED Reverse bulbs

They are based in CT. I bought the version with the radial LEDs. They replaced my 3047 stock bulbs.

To provide a quick review of them, I would say when you are looking at the bulb (i.e. people recognizing you're backing up), they are a lot brighter than stock. As for light they provide the driver for backing up, it is hard to determine if there is any gain over the stock halogens because it is a different type of light. Whereas halogen is more of a soft yellow light, this is a crisp white light. I wouldn't say it projects anymore than stock though.

I read about them on a GM truck board: CREE 5W LED Back Up Lights Lights - GM-Trucks.com

People seem to like them.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.