LED's for TwinSonic?

Henry455

May 21, 2010
Houston, TX
I think the reason you are not seeing the same POP as a sealed beam is the optics in a TIR type LED are +/- 20 degree beam angle spread. The old standby 4416 sealed beam has a 11 degree horizontal and a 4 degree vertical beam spread and produces approx. 500 lumens. Now take a couple of ELS’s new 5 degree “take down” lights with 270 lumens per 3 LED light head ( viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1197 ) and mount in place of the traditional sealed beam and you would get the POP we are looking for.

tnems7

May 21, 2010
USA Nashville Tennessee
Nice illustration of the concept.

Are the TIR3 heads that are used in the video "horizontal" TIRs? I have some Vertical oriented TIR3s and the beam pattern may be different, but I like the idea of having something already configued in a PAR36 lampstyle would be what we are really wanting..

Does anybody have some round motorcycle PAR36s and could try a demo video?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
The Tomar is a wide angle lens, so I expect it would make a good flood light, but not a particularly good spotlight and you need a spotlight pattern in order to get a good "pop" from a revolving lamp.

EngCo4

Oct 12, 2010
USA Virginia
Tomar has been putting these PAR-36 LED heads in new Roto-Rays for

a while! I personally looked at one running and it is every bit as intense

as a sealed-beam unit! As a matter of fact, I really didn't realize it was

an LED setup until it was off and I could look closer!

If it wasn't for the outrageous cost f these "bulbs" I would get some of

these to replace the sealed-beams in my apparatus! They are VERY good!

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
If someone's gonna make a LED Twinsonic, put in the same lightheads the Whelen Freedom uses for the corner modules and have them simulate the "pop" of the rotator without any simulated rotating effect, and to simulate the cascade mirrors, use three LINZ6's or LIN6's (?) with vertical-mount optics, and give them the same basic flash but with the right timing to simulate the flash effect of the rotating light reflected on the cascade mirrors. This way you get the same flash effect, just without any real moving parts. This way you've got the same "POP-papapap-POP-papapap" effect as a normal Twinsonic.

I'm not particularly fond of most LED flash patterns these days (except Whelen's SignalAlert pattern) so I'd like to see stationary LEDs simulate the "pop" of halogen rotators as well as strobes.

Last edited by a moderator:

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
EngCo4 said:
Tomar has been putting these PAR-36 LED heads in new Roto-Rays for
a while! I personally looked at one running and it is every bit as intense

as a sealed-beam unit! As a matter of fact, I really didn't realize it was

an LED setup until it was off and I could look closer!

If it wasn't for the outrageous cost f these "bulbs" I would get some of

these to replace the sealed-beams in my apparatus! They are VERY good!

Roto-Rays are the equivalent of directional lights, which is what LED's are best at. If you're in front of a vehicle with a Roto-Ray the bulbs are pointed at you 100% of the time, so they are always going to be bright. The point was that in a TwinSonic or other rotating bar, the LED's are only pointed at you for a few degrees of the 360 degrees rotation, and the LED's aren't focused tightly enough to provide the same "pop" of intensity as an incandescent or halogen sealed beam spotlight bulb, which has a very narrow intense beam.

03crownvic

May 8, 2010
Louisiana
Check out the video of a Twinsonic LED conversion using Pimp pods that is posted in my for sale post about the bar in the vintage for sale thread.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CHUCK4850

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.