LED's On a grader... I need help!

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Hello all, Well I have been tasked with designing a basic, yet very effective lighting package for a grader... yes, a 17 ton champion grader. The grader is used by a state ATV club for trail grading. The trail that is graded is mostly straight (just slight curves pretty much) BUT there are several ( about 6 or 7 come to mind) road crossings. I pretty much have an idea in mind of what I want to do, but i wanted to get some more opinions. Anything will be a step up from the bubble gum machine you see on top LOL.

So keeping in mind that this machine needs to be seen from a long ways away, and must have good side warning, I wasnt sure yes mini bar, or no mini bar. I'm planning on using all my own products. most likely the 6LED surface mount light. but since I don't have all my products available yet, since im finishing up my website, If you just tell me what you think would be appropriate, I'll use my equivalent. If absolutely necessary, I can use SOS, whelen, or federal signal as well. Here are some pics of the actual grader, and the side view isnt the actual grader, but its set up the same way. Thanks for your help!

USE grader front.jpg

USE rear grader.jpg

USE grader side.jpg

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
If you have to use LEDs use big amber ones spaced as far apart as possible and flash them slow... think school bus. What I would do is toss a halogen rotator on it too.

JediTalen

Jun 19, 2011
Bummertown, WA
Is the grader used for snow removal? If so you may want to skip the LED's and stick with halogens, as they make enough heat to keep themselves clear under all but the worst conditions.

So anyway, If I were doing this I'd start on to with a Code3 420 minibar in amber, a pair of PAR36 amber flashers (led or Halogen) at the base of the windshield facing forward, another pair on the back, replacing the uppermost red lights in the photo. I'd mount a set of headlights out on the nose with yet another set of PAR36's below them. Surface mounts on either side of the neck just behind the nose plate (I'd use a pair of Linz 6's mounted one above the other and about 12' apart) then another surface mount about every 5-6' right down the side of the machine.

NPS Ranger

May 21, 2010
Penn's Woods
Some big badass surface mount amber LED's, like an M9 or Quadraflare, mounted on the sides at the extreme front and rear, for road crossings. Wide angle optics, not TIR's. And a halogen rotator like a Sentry on top, with a brush guard. That's it. No more. And drive with your front & rear worklights on.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
first i would get all the Factor lights working. they may already flash. and would ass plenty of warning power.

i would go with mini freedom

also maybe some linz6 mounted on both ends

you may be able to pick up a decent used full size edge

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Call me crazy...but I think one...maybe two FedSig Model 14 sealed-beams would be a good fit for the roof.

Add a pair of Grote? LED flashers mid-level to the rear; two on the front of the cab, two on the rear of the cab, and maybe a pair on the most forward part of the unit angled out for trail intersections.

C420sailor

May 23, 2010
Virginia, USA
Mini freedom would rock and be cheaper and much easier than putting surface mount LEDs all over it. That's if you're set on LED. A mini rotator bar would be even cheaper and very effective.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Thanks for the tips everybody! I don't know, I had envisiOned about 4 big surface mount LED's on each end, 2 down low and 2 of them on top of the cab. Then at least 2 on each side. The club is on a budget so of the setup will cost enough, they'll have to put in for a grant= PITA. I like the idea of a mini bar in addition to the surface mounts... :undecided:

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Does anybody know what LP for the 23"century mini bar w/permanent mount is? It's not in my list since its so new. I'm thinking I'm going with that, 2 surface mounts down low to front and 2 down low to back, and maybe 1 each side at the front facing sideways for intersection. Sound reasonable?

Shawn L

May 21, 2010
Corbett, Oregon
the city here puts 3 360 degree lights on theirs , one out on the front of the grader, furthermost forward, usually a 360 strobe or led beacon (with a flash sheild on it so it wont shine back to the operator) a dual rotator or led mini lightbar on the roof, and a dual rotator or led mini lightbar on the back hood (same flash sheild idea as the front so its only rear and side warning as to not blind the operator )

the graders like this have a great foot print from the side and they have plenty of light to the rear and front with 2 levels of lighting. it simple and easy on one grader the lights are magnetic with hard wired plugs so they can leave the grader out along the road and not worry about theft

BackYardSales

Dec 5, 2011
US - KY
jcpse said:
The club is on a budget so of the setup will cost enough, they'll have to put in for a grant= PITA.

If they're on a budget, why run their costs up? Two lamp rotators can be had for cheap. Either halogen or sealed beam will be more effective and more visible than LEDs or strobes. Vibration might be an issue on motors and gears though, but they've been used on road construction equipment for decades.

Keep it cheap and you might be able to do it as a donation in exchange for some advertising.

kadetklapp

May 21, 2010
Indiana
If it's used by an ATV club and not a .gov agency I see no reason to spend any more money on it really. Maybe put some TIR4 type light heads at the front end (one on each side) and install a four-bulb Grote beacon on the roof of the cab.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
kadetklapp said:
If it's used by an ATV club and not a .gov agency I see no reason to spend any more money on it really. Maybe put some TIR4 type light heads at the front end (one on each side) and install a four-bulb Grote beacon on the roof of the cab.

I've made up my mind. I'm going to get one of you to sell me a dual rotator bar or something of the sort, and I have a couple grote recess mount quad flash LED's for the front, and a traffic advisor for the back. That should make a decent setup

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 7, 2011
New England
BackYardSales said:
If they're on a budget, why run their costs up? Two lamp rotators can be had for cheap. Either halogen or sealed beam will be more effective and more visible than LEDs or strobes. Vibration might be an issue on motors and gears though, but they've been used on road construction equipment for decades.

Keep it cheap and you might be able to do it as a donation in exchange for some advertising.

You know, that's not such a bad idea

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.