Legacy interleaved heads - safe to flash all at once?

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I recently acquired a Legacy GS4BRBR by way of magic dumpster... (a Legacy SOLO by model number)... it has interleaved LEDs of the same color that alternate by default just like a DUO bar - but I don't like the "constant on" look and purple washout. Is it safe to flash a module all at once (all reds on / all reds off instead of 1/2 red alternating with the other 1/2 reds)?

Not my dream setup - but the price was right!

1682888423310.png

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
I recently acquired a Legacy GS4BRBR by way of magic dumpster... (a Legacy SOLO by model number)... it has interleaved LEDs of the same color that alternate by default just like a DUO bar - but I don't like the "constant on" look and purple washout. Is it safe to flash a module all at once (all reds on / all reds off instead of 1/2 red alternating with the other 1/2 reds)?

Not my dream setup - but the price was right!

View attachment 244151

Im confused by this. Why do you think that this is a duo bar? If the leds are all the same color per module, that would make it a solo bar. Ive never heard of a duo module that is all one color, that doesn’t even make sense. It just looks like someone intermixed blue and red modules. So to answer your question, yes, it is totally fine to flash the entire module at one time, Im not even sure how you are able to only flash half of a module. Im also confused about what you mean by the lights flashing by default. All legacy bars are WeCan, or WeCanX, so you would have to program it, there is no default. Unless this is some sort of Frankenbar?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Im confused by this. Why do you think that this is a duo bar? If the leds are all the same color per module, that would make it a solo bar. Ive never heard of a duo module that is all one color, that doesn’t even make sense. It just looks like someone intermixed blue and red modules. So to answer your question, yes, it is totally fine to flash the entire module at one time, Im not even sure how you are able to only flash half of a module. Im also confused about what you mean by the lights flashing by default. All legacy bars are WeCan, or WeCanX, so you would have to program it, there is no default. Unless this is some sort of Frankenbar?
Is it on a cruise backed pattern and looks like there is no off time? If it's a legacy solo model number and the heads are one color it's not duo, it's just flashing the heads in a pattern that makes it look like there is no off time. A duo red head is not a duo head.

Reactions: NoLimitSquads

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Call off the hounds!

Pardon my misunderstanding/miscommunication.

Yes, it's a SOLO bar with SOLO modules. My question is why does the default config flash only 1/2 the modules alternately (in the 12-LED lighthead, they alternate 6/6). It's kinda dumb unless it's setup that way for heat management. I'm reprogramming it to flash to full lighthead unless there's some reason not to.

Here’s a video of what I’m trying to describe:

And to clear up my knowledge gap - are DUO lightheads 12 LEDs of each color (24), 12 multicolor LEDs, or a split 6/6?

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparky_911

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
Duo or dual color usually means "X" number of leds for color 1 and the same number of color 2. The same typically goes for trio and quad (take a close look at Feniex heads for example). There are variations given manufacturers though. And I have not seen any multicolor LEDs used in a bar from the big 5 (FS/C3/whelen/feniex/ soundoff). Maybe in some chinesium knock offs.

Reactions: Dave F

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
My suspicion is that whomever installed it programs all their bars the same and is used to DUO bars and just couldn't be bothered to change the patterns for this solo. Uneducated guess of course.

Im with this suspicion. Ive never had to program a Solo Legacy, but maybe that is what happens if you dump a duo program into a solo bar? Either way, just write a new program for the solo bar that it is.

Reactions: tsquale

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
That was kind of my impression too, This bar was loaded with a program or sequence meant for a dual color bar. There's no reason why a solo bar can't run off of the program of a multi-color bar, It just looks... Well..... Like this. My guess would be this bar was obtained cheaply because the agency uses multi-color bars and this didn't meet their needs.

Reactions: 94yj and tsquale

TacoMonster

Jul 1, 2010
Texas
That was kind of my impression too, This bar was loaded with a program or sequence meant for a dual color bar. There's no reason why a solo bar can't run off of the program of a multi-color bar, It just looks... Well..... Like this. My guess would be this bar was obtained cheaply because the agency uses multi-color bars and this didn't meet their needs.

This theory by @tsquale and @NoLimitSquads makes sense. It's also probably why a 4.5-year-old bar with ZERO problems was in my secret magic bargain bin to begin with.

I'm setting the patterns to solid instead of split and replacing one set of solo light heads with super-takedowns. After that, it will be road ready. Thanks to everyone for the feedback!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ragnarok

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.