Legacy vs Liberty help please!

surge50

Aug 28, 2013
Illinois
Guys, we currently run Red and Blue liberty light bars on our squads. Dodge chargers with Fed. Sig. I Impax in the grill and on the rear deck. This year we are getting Ford S.U.V.'s. They will have the factory led lights as wig wags and front and rear vertex. We are adding Setena push bumpers with Whelen Linz 6 on the sides and front in red and blue. Also there will be one red and one blue Whelen Ion on a rear license plate bracket. (No split color heads!). Switch box is Whelen 295SLSA6. I ordered Red and blue Liberty bars again. Today I met a Whelen rep and he will give me Legacy Solo bars for next to nothing additional. I like the larger reflector of the liberty as it gives the color a larger footprint if that makes sense. Should I stick with the tried and true Liberty or move up to the Legacy? I am told the Legacy has a we can box that gives me some programming flexibility that the Liberty does not. The Liberty's we get you adjust flash pattern by light head pairs and touching a wire. Also we do hook up low power to the switch box for night use. Thanks guys!

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
I don't think you'd be disappointed in the Legacy's performance, but I can see the argument for the taller lightbar. The WeCan feature is impressive and gives you a lot more control. I would be certain to specify the higher mounting feet for the Legacy if you go that route, to increase rear approach visibility.

surge50

Aug 28, 2013
Illinois
C2Installs said:
I don't think you'd be disappointed in the Legacy's performance, but I can see the argument for the taller lightbar. The WeCan feature is impressive and gives you a lot more control. I would be certain to specify the higher mounting feet for the Legacy if you go that route, to increase rear approach visibility.

I would be getting the adjustable feet and I think I was told they are taller then the standard low profile feet.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
I just switched to legacy this year and had been useing liberty lightbars. I like the legacy bar with wecan alot better and it is more noticeable during the day than the liberty.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
I can tell you that the WeCan box for the Legacy is exactly the same as the WeCan box for the liberty. With that being said, go Legacy. It is the future and you will have to do this in the future anyways as the Liberty will be replaced with the liberty 2 and it will not be based on current Liberty pricing. The Legacy is more than bright enough, has less drag and an overall better bar. I do love the Liberty though as, IMHO, is the best all around bar ever made.

fleetcomm

Sep 2, 2011
south of nowhere
I am a big fan of whelen products and where they are headed with thier products. I never liked the lighting gaps in the liberty lightbar and the legacy fixes that problem and is so much brighter than the liberty.

Outsider

May 21, 2010
New Hampshire
Another point to consider is that while there is a clear difference in the OVERALL height of the two lightbars, there is a much smaller difference in the height of actual reflectors. They are almost identical. The Liberty has a lot of wasted space above and below the actual reflector that the Legacy does not have. What that means is lower profile when its off, same profile when its on.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I am purchasing a Legacy or Liberty 2. Which one would you choose. Ordering it in the next couple of days. I was thinking the Liberty 2 has a bigger footprint so better output. What are your thoughts.

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I am purchasing a Legacy or Liberty 2. Which one would you choose. Ordering it in the next couple of days. I was thinking the Liberty 2 has a bigger footprint so better output. What are your thoughts.
Depends on the vehicle and intended purpose.

Pickup or SUV for fire or police use, go Liberty 2. Police squad car, go Legacy. 

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
Nothing wrong with the Liberty, it's still a very capable bar. However having seen Legacies in action I can confidently say you lose nothing by upgrading. I'm a big proponent of lighting footprint but the Legacy is very impressive.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fireman5340

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.