Light bar installation

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
Hi everyone this is my first time installing a roof mounted light bar and was wondering if any one could give me instructions on the best way to go about this. I have installed all interior lighting before now my job wants me to install actual light bars on our patrol vehicles. To make things worse we have 2010 Chevy traverse's and they are buying some cheap uniforms warehouse Opti-range strobe light bars to try and save money. Any help would be greatly appreciated

MEVS06

May 23, 2010
San Antonio, TX
mdlighting said:
Hi everyone this is my first time installing a roof mounted light bar and was wondering if any one could give me instructions on the best way to go about this. I have installed all interior lighting before now my job wants me to install actual light bars on our patrol vehicles. To make things worse we have 2010 Chevy traverse's and they are buying some cheap uniforms warehouse Opti-range strobe light bars to try and save money. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Im sorry you have to use those lights, I will make sure and pray for the people using the units when they get in a crash because they arent seen and/or the bars catch fire with someone in the units... Good luck with that.

May 22, 2010
New York City
Hoser said:
Tryn to figure out why a proffesional upfitter would need help doing a lightbar?

im trying to figure out why a professional upfitter would put a uniformswarehouse lightbar on anything but a power wheels kids car !!!!!!!!!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
I'm trying to understand what patrol functions these Chevy Traverse will do. Cant see a LE agency buying a Taverse as a patrol vehicle when most PPV's are cheaper.

:popcorn:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Cool! Uniforms Warehouse offers lightbars with "Halogan" lamps in them. :dielaugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
kinda confused,you listed yourself as a pro installer but have no idea how to install a lightbar.. i am far from a pro and have installed them but thats a different story.do yourself a favor talk your work into putting real lightbars on the vehicles

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
mdlighting said:

With those lightbars... I'd suggest Magnets... LoL

GPC

Oct 17, 2010
North Carolina
TritonBoulder47 said:
With those lightbars... I'd suggest Magnets... LoL

Hell I'd just use some zip ties and bungee cords. Oh almost forgot you need glue. Lots and lots of glue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tlauden

Apr 3, 2011
Halifax, PA
All the bars I ever installed I used gutter mounts for, I've seen them installed by drilling through the roof and bolting them. Any decent light supplier will have the brackets you need. It's really not that hard. Good luck

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
well you will need plenty of deck screws and some construction adhesive.

o sorry you where talking about a light bar not a actual bar:razz:

regardless of lightbar manufacturer try to see if they have vehicle specific mounting brackets or generic ones you can modify. type of vehice you are installing on you have options of either drilling the roof , running the cable in thru the back hatch,or running in thru a door that is not used much (not recommended ),whatever you do kake sure you seal everything good

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Hoser said:
Tryn to figure out why a proffesional upfitter would need help doing a lightbar?

911 said:
im trying to figure out why a professional upfitter would put a uniformswarehouse lightbar on anything but a power wheels kids car !!!!!!!!!

Which is exactly the reason I think the whole 'professional' name should be assigned by a moderator/admin and not any Joe Public. "Hey, everyone, I'm the Grand Puba. Can I add that to my name?"

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
rwo978 said:
Which is exactly the reason I think the whole 'professional' name should be assigned by a moderator/admin and not any Joe Public. "Hey, everyone, I'm the Grand Puba. Can I add that to my name?"

:thumbsup: Agreed

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Hell, I've done plenty of installs on the side way back when, but I am no where close to a professional. Even I wouldn't add that to my name.

mdlighting

Jul 20, 2011
PG county,MD
thanls for the advice to the ones that tryed to help. for the rest first off i cant control what my work buys i make recomendations but they never listen they always go with the cheapest stuff. second i have mounted lightbars before my problem comes with mounting them on a chevy traverse there is no specific mounts for them and it looks like they will be mounted to the roof rack i wasnt to sure if that was a good idea or not but a buddy of mine said it was the only way i guess i will try to post pics when im done. third the traverse's do pretty good on patrol i work at N.A.S.A. and we dont have any really bad roads or long streches of highway so dont knock it they are mad comfortable.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.