Light bulb for Federal Propello Ray model 19 6v

Deco

Jun 4, 2017
Bedminster, NJ
I recently bought a Federal model 19 Propello Ray, 6v version.
Unfortunately, the light bulb burned out. I couldn't make out the model number of the General Electric fog light bulb, but it does look like it has "8v" stamped on it (see pics).

I'm trying desperately to find someplace online to buy a replacement light bulb, but I've had no success so far. Does anyone know where I get one? Or at least know what light bulb model it is? Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 30

Deco

Jun 4, 2017
Bedminster, NJ
Thanks for the reply, dmathieu. It's almost that. I forgot to state the diameter of the lamp that was inside. My bad! It's approximately 4 3/8" (11cm) in diameter. I guess that's what's keeping me from finding one.

dmathieu

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
S.W. New Hampshire, USA
The "36" in the PAR-36 or PAR36 refers to the dimensions of the FACE of the bulb (or lamp) in eighths of an inch; thus a PAR36 is 36 eighths of an inch in diameter across the face of the bulb, 4.50" (114.3mm) Maximum Outer Diameter

Reactions: Deco

Deco

Jun 4, 2017
Bedminster, NJ
Mod 19 PropelloRay (rotating bulb) is a par 36. The mod 18 SolarRay (oscillating up/down) is par 46. Any 6-8v FOG lamp will provide the desired/intended flash pattern for the PropelloRay as it casts a distinctive "square" light pattern that give off a distinct "flash" at any slightly oblique angle.

Fantastic! Thank you so much!
I ordered a GE 7613 PAR36 6v 8W.
I hope this wattage is enough.

Deco

Jun 4, 2017
Bedminster, NJ
I tried to upload a video from my iPad, but the site doesn't "recognize" the extension. Hope to see a vid of yours when operational!

Sure thing! Will do! While the light bulbs don't arrive, I'll be sending the outer "shell" to be chromed. The previous owner painted it red because it was in bad shape.

A FLOOD pattern lights a broader area like a work light or security light--a FOG pattern is condensed (think WWII headlight covers) that prevent stray light beams upward/downward that could glare back from a dense fog into the driver's eyes, thus a "flash" pattern when rotating. The 4015 Dan mentioned above is what you want.

Reactions: Deco

Deco

Jun 4, 2017
Bedminster, NJ
I think the link I provided a few posts above would be better. In my opinion.

The problem is that the diameter doesn't match.
Anyway, I contacted Gary from Rescue Market and he hit the nail on the head. He sent me a pic of the lamp I need and it matches exactly what I have.

Deco

Jun 4, 2017
Bedminster, NJ
I wrote another answer on Tuesday, but apparently it wasn't posted.

After looking at your link again, I noticed that Unity put up the diagram of a PAR46. Not only that, but they actually put up a photo of the 4012. That's why I kept looking at the 5.7" diameter and got confused, thinking that it was too big for the Propello Ray. Sorry about that, Dan. I didn't mean to discard your experience. I simply didn't pay attention to the wrong info on the page.

It seems that the 4015 IS the right light bulb. This was also confirmed by Gary. I ended up buying two bulbs with him, since his price was better.

Reactions: Maxim2Eng

Deco

Jun 4, 2017
Bedminster, NJ
I have another question for you guys. I probably should start another topic, but maybe somebody has some input that can help me out.

The Propello Ray that I bought came with a broken lens (glued together). I contacted Gary, and although he has an extra lens, it comes at a steep price ($100). I totally understand his side, since he sometimes has to buy expensive lights and sell them for parts at a price that can make him a profit. But in this case, I'm trying to find an alternative before committing to an original.

Does anyone know where I could find a clear lens with the same size (15.5cm / 6 1/8"), that I can tint red? I've used the blue version of this spray on some retro fog lights with great success, and thought that if I'm able to get a clear lens with the same size, I can tint it red:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MA1X0RP/?tag=elightbars-20

Deco

Jun 4, 2017
Bedminster, NJ
Not sure not sure where to locate a clear lens, but you could post in the "Wanted: Vintage & Collectable" thread. I would also consider a cobalt blue glass lens as they are more rare and unusual, but tinting a clear lens is not a bad way to go.
Good idea! I'll try that!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.