Light me up! BMW X5 School Liaison Car

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Hi all,

We have a project to light up a BMW X5 (2009, I think).  It needs to have emergency vehicle (police) capability for the very rare traffic stop, but they also want it completely lit for parades, school show-offs, etc.

The officer I met with said they want it to 1) look like the Griswold's house and 2) be visible from space

They have a pretty good budget.  We also want 'bling' lights so we are going to put about 20-30 of the Tecniq EON colour-changing lights throught the vehicle (inside and out).

As far as the lights for legal use;

• Micropulse Ultra red/blue dual colours everywhere; 4-6 up front, 1 on each mirror, 2 on rear license plate, 2 under liftgate and a couple to each side, plus in some other places (20 in total)
  • Micropulse 6 hood lip mount lights (1 red, 1 blue) on hood lip
  • SmartSiren Platinum
  • ES100C speaker
  • 2 x Viper S2 Spectralux Red/Blue/White in front windshield (either side of RVM)
  • 1 x Viper S2 Spectralux single head Red/Blue in side window in cargo area

One thing that I don't know much about is under-body lighting.  They are wanting LED lighting in red and blue to mount under the car to light up the ground.  Any suggestions for a good system?

Ideas are welcome!  We start work on it on Thursday.

[Broken External Image]:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15357096/CFSEU BMW X5 (17).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
I take it they liked their last install :) wish I had their budget to play with! As far as underbody I have no idea, but you could do something like the sound off rocker panel light strip?

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
Only this vehicle is public.  The rest are secret squirrel (I wouldn't post them here).

The challenge with this vehicle is that the X5's have an underbody skid shield that covers pretty much the entire underside of the vehicle.

I'll play around with it a bit and see.  We may have to wait until we get the vehicle in our shop before we can determine under-body mounting locations.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.