Light my Tahoe PPV... yes another thread...

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
1504043_10151817280740877_1373964508_n.jpg

OK so my last vehicle was totaled... new vehicle is a 2013 Tahoe PPV... all my lighting equipment I believe to be intact (picking it up from the yard today before the insurance company takes it)... so obviously my setup will need to change and I'll need some new toys to go with it... I'm trying to reuse as much as possible and buy the minimum...

Vehicle is for law enforcement/pov so R/B in colors. I live in a heavily populated county and work in the next county over which is rural... so it needs to be lit up enough to breech heavy intersections if the situation arises but not super frequently... Even though it is a PPV I'd like to keep it as stealth as possible (for now)... I may do a Setina push bumper (with lights/siren speakers) eventually but for now I'd like to keep everything inside and NOT use any SOS intersectors or bumper mount type lights... but I do intend to have some on the sides of the rear LP...

Currently owned equipment and where I'm thinking it can go is as follows:

• SOS Pinnacle ILB - windshield
  • Star SVP DL15-12 (a 12" long stick light (interior only)) - used as dash light? used as a second light in back window (along with a big warning bar)? sell it and put $ to something more useful for this application?
  • 4x Feniex T-6 with L brackets - all 4 in the grill?
  • 2x Star SVP DLX4 with L brackets - sides of license plate?
  • 2x Whelen DashKing 2000 interweaved R/B LED - unused
  • SoundOff Signal ETHFSS-SP-ISO (isolated HLF) - self explanatory
  • SoundOff Signal ETFBSSN-P TLF - self explanatory
  • Whelen HHS2200 - self explanatory
  • Sho-Me 30.0200 Siren Speaker - unused and replace with dual 100 watt nicer speakers?

So using the list of equipment above the front will be fairly well covered, no side coverage, and only LP lights/TLF...

1) Assuming that y'all like that configuration I'd still need some side warning and a big warning bar for the back glass and maybe something more for intersection warning? What warning bar/side window lights do y'all think?

2) Would 4 Feniex T6 look too small in the grill?

3) I'd think that the siren speaker could go also and be replaced by a couple new 100w speakers behind the grill?

Any other changes?

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
I would Check look into Two Slimlighters for the Rear Windshield, or The Strobes N More e66 Bar i believe it is the color changing one with TA Function...Good pricing and people seem to love it.

For the Lights on the Side of the LP, i would get something new as bright as possible, Intersection is crucial....either Sound Off N Force, OR Impaxx

Just my thoughts! Good Luck take plenty of pics wiring, and installing! :thumbsup:

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
I'd sell everything besides the Pinnacle, the T6s, the DLX4s, and the HLF and TLF (unless your truck has both from the factory). I know you said you want to work with what you have, but the SVP dashlight really doesn't fit anywhere and the gen1 dash kings suck.

Front:

Pinnacle

HLF

Whelen M6/M7 R & B in the grill

Whelen PAR fog inserts in an x-pattern with the grill lights

Sides:

SOS recess mount ghosts in the front bumper sides

Feniex T6s on the running boards

Microman Microstar 20" bar R & B in the third windows

Rear:

Strobes N More E66 dual color R/B with amber T/A

SVP DLX4s on a LP bracket

TLF

I doubt you'd be up for drilling the front bumper but those recess mount ghosts look like they should be there on a Tahoe bumper. They are in the perfect spot for intersection and very discreet.

43592d1352819476-2012-tahoe-ppv-dsc01111.jpg

43599d1352819742-2012-tahoe-ppv-dsc01124.jpg

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
acala91 said:
I'd sell everything besides the Pinnacle, the T6s, the DLX4s, and the HLF and TLF (unless your truck has both from the factory). I know you said you want to work with what you have, but the SVP dashlight really doesn't fit anywhere and the gen1 dash kings suck.

Front:

Pinnacle

HLF

Whelen M6/M7 R & B in the grill

Whelen PAR fog inserts in an x-pattern with the grill lights

Sides:

SOS recess mount ghosts in the front bumper sides

Feniex T6s on the running boards

Microman Microstar 20" bar R & B in the third windows

Rear:

Strobes N More E66 dual color R/B with amber T/A

SVP DLX4s on a LP bracket

TLF

I doubt you'd be up for drilling the front bumper but those recess mount ghosts look like they should be there on a Tahoe bumper. They are in the perfect spot for intersection and very discreet.

View attachment 67299

View attachment 67300

Honestly I'd rather do mirror beams than those flush mount lights. The dl15-12 isn't really a dash light. It's a small light stick like an LS12. I agree that it doesn't really have a home though. I wish I had a second one because I could use them on the side windows. But they are kinda rare on here and rediculously expensive new. I agree no real great spot for the dash kings on this install. I was going to put both of them on the rear deck of my car. They aren't as bright as gen 3 but they are large and provide a good footprint of warning.

I don't get why everyone is so stuck on the E66 bar. I definitely wouldn't buy a dual color one. I think traffic advisors are useless. The E66 isn't too bad but no other sticks that people would rather? It seems pretty expensive for what it is.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_09_a8u9enys.jpg

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
Rear Stick,

As far as a Rear Stick it depends on your Budget. Alot of times Budget Dictates what you can purchase. I see alot of the exterior mounted RazorBack Tomar Lights, but they are a little pricey. I would get a Whelen Dominator, for the top. Use the TLF, and maybe two LP Mounted Lights on a slow pattern. Nice and simple/Slow to the Rear

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Alboy29 said:
I would Check look into Two Slimlighters for the Rear Windshield, or The Strobes N More e66 Bar i believe it is the color changing one with TA Function...Good pricing and people seem to love it.

For the Lights on the Side of the LP, i would get something new as bright as possible, Intersection is crucial....either Sound Off N Force, OR Impaxx

Just my thoughts! Good Luck take plenty of pics wiring, and installing! :thumbsup:

Slimlighters are ok but don't sync and are way too expensive compared to some other sticks. My dl15 is at least equal to a Slimlighter in brightness?

Impaxx or nforce over the dlx4 on a LP mount? The impaxx or nforce may have better off axis but they definitely aren't brighter.

Do y'all think something like a ghost is big enough for the side windows?

I'm not sure how I feel on t6 on the running boards. They look ok but they aren't much different than hg2 runners down there. They are too low to the ground to be really useful and are more for show IMO.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Alboy29 said:
Rear Stick,
As far as a Rear Stick it depends on your Budget. Alot of times Budget Dictates what you can purchase. I see alot of the exterior mounted RazorBack Tomar Lights, but they are a little pricey. I would get a Whelen Dominator, for the top. Use the TLF, and maybe two LP Mounted Lights on a slow pattern. Nice and simple/Slow to the Rear

Honestly I think I'd rather the dominator than the SnM. I mean whelen makes some solid stuff. I'm open to other bars as well but I think id rather the name brand.

Honestly a guy at my department got a led outfitters ILB and stick, I don't know the models but they were both linear. And those things were way brighter than I was expecting. It was definitely brighter than my pinnacle through tint was. Will have to see them side by side with the pinnacle once it's on the Tahoe and not through tint to tell. I'll make a video.

Budget I'm not too worried about. Of course I don't want to blow money but I want a nice setup. Especially since I'm financing the truck for 5 years and am gonna keep it. I rather spend the money up front when I get a new vehicle so I can enjoy the toys the whole length of ownership rather than piece it all together.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
I'd say the DL is heads and tails brighter than a slimlighter. I got a sweet deal on one and was pretty impressed

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
FEVER said:
I'd say the DL is heads and tails brighter than a slimlighter. I got a sweet deal on one and was pretty impressed

I agree. The Slimlighter isn't bad but it's only 6 LEDs. The DL is 12 3 watt LEDs in deep dish reflectors. They need to make slimlighters with more LEDs and syncable and lower the dang price!

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
equipements_urgence said:
For the T6 in the grille, it's not looking too small. I have 4 of these with the L bracket mounted in my tahoe PPV grille with a X pattern and all sync and it's very effective.

If you want to see it just take a look at my vid here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa7zkRQHcIE

Hard to get a good idea because the video only showed the front for about 2 seconds. Do you happen to have any daytime videos? What lights are those on the sides and in the back?

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
minig0d said:
Honestly I'd rather do mirror beams than those flush mount lights. The dl15-12 isn't really a dash light. It's a small light stick like an LS12. I agree that it doesn't really have a home though. I wish I had a second one because I could use them on the side windows. But they are kinda rare on here and rediculously expensive new. I agree no real great spot for the dash kings on this install. I was going to put both of them on the rear deck of my car. They aren't as bright as gen 3 but they are large and provide a good footprint of warning.

I don't get why everyone is so stuck on the E66 bar. I definitely wouldn't buy a dual color one. I think traffic advisors are useless. The E66 isn't too bad but no other sticks that people would rather? It seems pretty expensive for what it is.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_14_01_09_a8u9enys.jpg

People are so hung up on the E66 because it is an extremely good value. It has proven to be bright and reliable with good features, what else on the market offers that for $225? Sure a Dominator, or an Ultralight or a Cobra stick may be a bit better but those are all at least $400. I personally like T/As, not because people know what they mean but because they are a large block of amber which is very effective at a distance and gives you the ability to run amber only if the need ever arrises.

As far as mirrorbeams, I like them especially with the LIN6 heads but they are not intersection warning, they are mounted too far back. IMO, a vehicle that will be running hot through busy intersections, especially a slicktop, needs something to the side at the front of the vehicle. Unfortunately due to the design of the front bumper you can't use a intersection bracket, so the only options are either a push bumper or surface/recess mounting a light to the bumper.

minig0d said:
Slimlighters are ok but don't sync and are way too expensive compared to some other sticks. My dl15 is at least equal to a Slimlighter in brightness?

Impaxx or nforce over the dlx4 on a LP mount? The impaxx or nforce may have better off axis but they definitely aren't brighter.

Do y'all think something like a ghost is big enough for the side windows?

I'm not sure how I feel on t6 on the running boards. They look ok but they aren't much different than hg2 runners down there. They are too low to the ground to be really useful and are more for show IMO.

I think you could spend money better than replacing the DLX4s, they will work fine by the LP.

A single ghost is too small for the side window, a Whelen TIR6 is the same price and is brighter with a bigger footprint. Also, a 12" Microman bar is only $78 and would work well there.

I like a couple light heads on the running boards on a truck/SUV. Two solid color lights with a good pattern are great secondary warning.

The microman bars in this video are obviously not the same as two T6s but you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
minig0d said:
View attachment 67278

OK so my last vehicle was totaled... new vehicle is a 2013 Tahoe PPV... all my lighting equipment I believe to be intact (picking it up from the yard today before the insurance company takes it)... so obviously my setup will need to change and I'll need some new toys to go with it... I'm trying to reuse as much as possible and buy the minimum...

Vehicle is for law enforcement/pov so R/B in colors. I live in a heavily populated county and work in the next county over which is rural... so it needs to be lit up enough to breech heavy intersections if the situation arises but not super frequently... Even though it is a PPV I'd like to keep it as stealth as possible (for now)... I may do a Setina push bumper (with lights/siren speakers) eventually but for now I'd like to keep everything inside and NOT use any SOS intersectors or bumper mount type lights... but I do intend to have some on the sides of the rear LP...

Currently owned equipment and where I'm thinking it can go is as follows:

• SOS Pinnacle ILB - windshield
  • Star SVP DL15-12 (a 12" long stick light (interior only)) - used as dash light? used as a second light in back window (along with a big warning bar)? sell it and put $ to something more useful for this application?
  • 4x Feniex T-6 with L brackets - all 4 in the grill?
  • 2x Star SVP DLX4 with L brackets - sides of license plate?
  • 2x Whelen DashKing 2000 interweaved R/B LED - unused
  • SoundOff Signal ETHFSS-SP-ISO (isolated HLF) - self explanatory
  • SoundOff Signal ETFBSSN-P TLF - self explanatory
  • Whelen HHS2200 - self explanatory
  • Sho-Me 30.0200 Siren Speaker - unused and replace with dual 100 watt nicer speakers?

So using the list of equipment above the front will be fairly well covered, no side coverage, and only LP lights/TLF...

1) Assuming that y'all like that configuration I'd still need some side warning and a big warning bar for the back glass and maybe something more for intersection warning? What warning bar/side window lights do y'all think?

2) Would 4 Feniex T6 look too small in the grill?

3) I'd think that the siren speaker could go also and be replaced by a couple new 100w speakers behind the grill?

Any other changes?

Honestly, I would scrap anything able2/sho-me or star signal; at best, I think that their lighting products are "just okay."

For lightbar, def keep the pinnacle...it's a winner

As for the T6, I think that any lighthead in that slim size family (ion/ghost/etc) looks a little cheesy in Tahoe grill in an x-pattern. Honestly, I would get a microman xpf 40 or 48 stick in the grill & consider one on the rear headliner. I like lightsticks in the grill of SUVs b/c they produce a large footprint (when not on stupid flash patterns) that really light up that area. They're fairly-priced, bright as F@#K, rugged/weatherproof (extruded aluminum housing w/ a Lexan lens), & very slim. If you can afford to spend the extra $200-300, the ultralites (slimmer option) & dominators (rugged option) are my favorite brand bars, and the E66 is my favorite economy bar in a rugged housing. If u don't like the lightstick in the grill, a pair of TIR6 or rect37Ls put out a nice large TIR grill light footprint without sacrificing any output (as linear lights would in there).

For the noise makers, I would push duo FedSig AS124 speakers; IMO they're one of the best all-around speaker (rugged, field replaceable drivers, etc)

For intersection, I also vote for nForce (but recess mount) or intersector surface mounts. Lets be honest...there's something wrong with a person if a pitch black, low tahoe with black rims doesn't give away the fact that it's an unmarked unit but a small lighthead does? LOL

For the rear, in addition to a lightstick and TLF, a pair of LP bracket lights is fine, and you can call it a day (I think that anything more, ie lights in lower rear window) look tacky. I'd go with something like linz6 or impaxx for a better punch than star lights

For the running boards, I vote for nForce. I hate TIR lights (cobra, TIR3, HG2, ghost/ion, etc) on the running boards b/c the optics are so focused and concentrate the majority of the "punch" in one direction; on the other hand, the nForce are linear, flexible (can be R/B, R/B/C , etc as either alternating colors and/or flood light override for side scene warning). However, I think priority for side warning should be given to front bumper , C-D post window, & mirror lights (intersectors or Lin6 mirrorbeams). For the C-D post window, you don't need to go crazy, though; use an XP63 and call it a day.

For people that have a budget (most POVs), I don't recommend fog inserts or LAWs at all, b/c the money could be better utilized elsewhere.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
pdk9 said:
Honestly, I would scrap anything able2/sho-me or star signal; at best, I think that their lighting products are "just okay."

For lightbar, def keep the pinnacle...it's a winner

As for the T6, I think that any lighthead in that slim size family (ion/ghost/etc) looks a little cheesy in Tahoe grill in an x-pattern. Honestly, I would get a microman xpf 40 or 48 stick in the grill & consider one on the rear headliner. I like lightsticks in the grill of SUVs b/c they produce a large footprint (when not on stupid flash patterns) that really light up that area. They're fairly-priced, bright as F@#K, rugged/weatherproof (extruded aluminum housing w/ a Lexan lens), & very slim. If you can afford to spend the extra $200-300, the ultralites (slimmer option) & dominators (rugged option) are my favorite brand bars, and the E66 is my favorite economy bar in a rugged housing. If u don't like the lightstick in the grill, a pair of TIR6 or rect37Ls put out a nice large TIR grill light footprint without sacrificing any output (as linear lights would in there).

For the noise makers, I would push duo FedSig AS124 speakers; IMO they're one of the best all-around speaker (rugged, field replaceable drivers, etc)

For intersection, I also vote for nForce (but recess mount) or intersector surface mounts. Lets be honest...there's something wrong with a person if a pitch black, low tahoe with black rims doesn't give away the fact that it's an unmarked unit but a small lighthead does? LOL

For the rear, in addition to a lightstick and TLF, a pair of LP bracket lights is fine, and you can call it a day (I think that anything more, ie lights in lower rear window) look tacky. I'd go with something like linz6 or impaxx for a better punch than star lights

For the running boards, I vote for nForce. I hate TIR lights (cobra, TIR3, HG2, ghost/ion, etc) on the running boards b/c the optics are so focused and concentrate the majority of the "punch" in one direction; on the other hand, the nForce are linear, flexible (can be R/B, R/B/C , etc as either alternating colors and/or flood light override for side scene warning). However, I think priority for side warning should be given to front bumper , C-D post window, & mirror lights (intersectors or Lin6 mirrorbeams). For the C-D post window, you don't need to go crazy, though; use an XP63 and call it a day.

For people that have a budget (most POVs), I don't recommend fog inserts or LAWs at all, b/c the money could be better utilized elsewhere.

The sho me speaker is on my list to go. It's not bad but I would rather do a dual speaker setup anyway. Any suggestions on vehicle specific mounts for the Tahoe that handle two speakers?

About the slim lights in the grill I was afraid of that. I'm still hesitant about microman and about sticks in general in the grill. I much rather the rect37 idea or a whelen m7 type light.

As for the star SVP the dlx4s I have are brighter than just about any head that size I've ever seen. The dlx6 is by far the brightest I have seen. But as you said it's fairly directional. I think they will be good on a LP bracket though. And they cosmetically look better than most other similar lights.

I don't really want to recess mount anything in the bumper. I may eventually put a push bumper on and I'd put some on that. But where are you saying to surface mount the intersector?

For fog lights I was actually thinking about putting in some regular oem fog lights or possibly the par lights that are half color half fog lights.

Those XP63 would be a lot more popular if they could include some mounts with them and not require a degree in rocket science to figure out what mount I'd need to get it in the side windows.

minig0d said:
Hard to get a good idea because the video only showed the front for about 2 seconds. Do you happen to have any daytime videos? What lights are those on the sides and in the back?

I will take a vid tomorrow in daytime. For the lights , it's all Feniex stuff

In grill

4 x cobra T6 (X Pattern/Sync)

In Headlamp

Cannon HAW all red

Zone Technology Siren integrated HLF

In headliner

Cobra 2X with a homemade headliner bracket (no holes drilled)

On the sides

Cobra 200 Red/White

Rear

Cobra 800 and Whelen TLF with white cannons

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
acala91 said:
I'll just leave this here (because it is such an awesome setup)

Looks great. But I think there are people on here that believe the lights on running boards are invisible, you cant see them lol. Those videos give me some ideas

Don't go with 4 smaller grille lights. Get to larger lights. There are some good ideas listed

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
equipements_urgence said:
I will take a vid tomorrow in daytime. For the lights , it's all Feniex stuff

In grill

4 x cobra T6 (X Pattern/Sync)

In Headlamp

Cannon HAW all red

Zone Technology Siren integrated HLF

In headliner

Cobra 2X with a homemade headliner bracket (no holes drilled)

On the sides

Cobra 200 Red/White

Rear

Cobra 800 and Whelen TLF with white cannons

The T6s look good up close but if you back up a few hundred yards during the day they won't be nearly as effective as two larger Whelen M series.

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
acala91 said:
The T6s look good up close but if you back up a few hundred yards during the day they won't be nearly as effective as two larger Whelen M series.

I agree... if you are going to do T-6s in the grill it should at least be dual T-6s.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
acala91 said:
I'll just leave this here (because it is such an awesome setup)

Haha. Ya it's a nice looking one and very clean. I commented before on its original post that it looked too synced. The pattern would be ok for some stage 1 lighting while on scene but I wouldn't run code with that. Now if it was on a 2 stage flasher with the back staying on that pattern while the front was on a faster pattern it would be even more sweet! But see that Tahoe just has mirror beams and nothing on the front bumper as well.

Someone needs to put up some mirror beams for sale in the classifieds because retail on those things is ridiculously high.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Eric1249 said:
Looks great. But I think there are people on here that believe the lights on running boards are invisible, you cant see them lol. Those videos give me some ideas

Don't go with 4 smaller grille lights. Get to larger lights. There are some good ideas listed

I wouldn't say invisible. Definitely seem more for looks though. For example, the feniex kit for down there runs over $800. If you have the Tahoe sideways and are blocking off an interstate, sure it gives you a lot of side facing lighting that isn't blocked by any window tint, but in the real world if you are traveling down the street and just aren't wanting someone to hit you from the side you're better off with a light up higher. And that same $800 could get you a dual avenger on each side and have left over cash. As far as mounting some individual heads down there, it doesn't hurt I'm sure but really drivers eyes are facing ahead at the road not down at the ground usually. (And you're lucky if they are on the road and not on their phone). If we are just talking a wreck in the city, I think a single or double decent sized head on the side is more than sufficient to show other drivers you are there.

Like I've said a number of times. Lighting should be based on your intended uses. I was watching manhunters: fugitive task force or whatever it's called last night and most of their Tahoes had what looked like a dual avenger or dual viper in the back glass with a TLF. Why? Because they are only responding to scenes not blocking off highways. So for most people, IMO, unless you are trying to spend excessive money on lights you just need SOME side warning, not spend a ton of effort or money on it. In my above example, if you had minimal side lighting and were trying to block an interstate, just leave the truck less angled so your rear lights were more aimed back than sides.

The only side lights it kind of sucks not to have are alley lights (especially since I don't have a spotlight). But running board lights are definitely too low to be effective alley lights.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I did an install for a friend on my FD a few years ago. (2006 Explorer) I put a LS12 in the side rear window. She has to cross a 4 lane highway. So I added 2 TIR3's to each running board. Night and day difference for her. They can see it as she approaches the intersection. Sure they can be a car blocking it as she pulls up, but a larger truck can do the same thing to any side mounted light. I wont go on a rant lol.

I have a Lifetime 6 inch led on my running board. This is a pic where it lights up my front yard. It is blocked by a a snow bank that is at least 2 feet high and I was pretty close to it.

lifetime 3.JPG

Lifetime 2.JPG

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Eric1249 said:
I did an install for a friend on my FD a few years ago. (2006 Explorer) I put a LS12 in the side rear window. She has to cross a 4 lane highway. So I added 2 TIR3's to each running board. Night and day difference for her. They can see it as she approaches the intersection. Sure they can be a car blocking it as she pulls up, but a larger truck can do the same thing to any side mounted light. I wont go on a rant lol.

I have a Lifetime 6 inch led on my running board. This is a pic where it lights up my front yard. It is blocked by a a snow bank that is at least 2 feet high and I was pretty close to it.

That's definitely not bad at all! I guess yeah it could be blocked by something but I suppose its better than not having any option!?

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
WOW it's been a couple years since I've posted on here... so getting an itch to put in a couple more lights (and just realized I don't think I ever posted a video of my current install... so I will soon), but thinking I want something on the mirrors. I currently have two Ions in the grill so it would be nice if they were Whelen and could sync with the grill, but not really a fan of the 500's on the older model mirror beams and it doesn't look like the new ones fit the 2013 Tahoes... so has anyone managed to recess mount an Ion into a mirror, or has anything new recently came ount that could be interesting? I currently have 2 PAR fog lights, 2 Ions in the grill, and a pinnacle ILB (so they aren't synced with eachother and I'd hate to put another unsynced set of lights on the front). (I also HATE intersectors so those aren't going to happen)...

Any other suggestions? I am most curious about any recessed lights retrofit into stock mirrors or any kind of retrofits of other lights onto the mirrorbeam housings...

captskyhawk

Nov 8, 2014
Texas
Maybe stud mount microns and screw them into the back of the mirror? should sync with the ion, but i'm not sure how flush that would be with the curve.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
Maybe stud mount microns and screw them into the back of the mirror? should sync with the ion, but i'm not sure how flush that would be with the curve.

Lots of surface mount options... would much rather recess mount something into the mirror housing...

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Lots of surface mount options... would much rather recess mount something into the mirror housing...

It's a shame you're not a fan of the mirrorbeams b/c the 500 series work well there.

Do you even have enough room to recess mounting something on the mirror without it getting in the way of the mirror guts? I honestly don't think a recess mount would sit snugly b/c of the curves on the mirror housings. I really would recommend the intersectors above anything else (but the Whelen linv2 version is easier to sync with your grill & par lights). If not a fan of the under the mirror option, then I'd look at the slim family of lightheads (i.e. Brookings ST6); although I prefer linear for mirror lights, these suckers will sit pretty flat against your mirrors without having to carve out a chunk of your mirrors for recess mounts

DEAHEAT

Apr 5, 2016
CFL
My friend recently showed me his charger that had stick lights mounted on the passenger windows. It was a escort vehicle. Very clean and professional. A lot of agencies around here are doing running lights which I don't feel are effective and more for show.

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
It's a shame you're not a fan of the mirrorbeams b/c the 500 series work well there.

Do you even have enough room to recess mounting something on the mirror without it getting in the way of the mirror guts? I honestly don't think a recess mount would sit snugly b/c of the curves on the mirror housings. I really would recommend the intersectors above anything else (but the Whelen linv2 version is easier to sync with your grill & par lights). If not a fan of the under the mirror option, then I'd look at the slim family of lightheads (i.e. Brookings ST6); although I prefer linear for mirror lights, these suckers will sit pretty flat against your mirrors without having to carve out a chunk of your mirrors for recess mounts

I do like mirror beams, but the prices are ridiculous for them and can't find any used.... An installer I trust here said they've done recessed before, in the lower part of the mirror... but they used SOS lights which are a bit smaller than the recessed IONs...

And I hate the new ionv's... the whole puddle light concept thing is useless in my opinion... If they were trying to get fancy I'd rather them have tried to put in an "alley light" function...

Just took a video of the truck... video is uploading now...

minig0d

Mar 29, 2013
LA & TX
OK so here it is...

FRONT:
SOS Pinnacle ILB
2 Whelen IONs in the grill
2 Whelen tri-color dual function fog lights (PAR28DJ) (red/blue + white fog light)
SOS HLF

SIDE:
2 Feniex T6's (1R/1B)
1 Star Signal DL15-12 R/B

REAR:
2x Star Signal DLX4's on LP Mount
Feniex Cobra 800 r/b
Factory TLF

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
@thebluesignal

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.