light suggestion for 2013 f250

emtfirebug

Jun 26, 2012
Monmouth County NJ
my fire department is looking into getting a 2013 f250 for our utility truck. we are looking to keep it cheap and simple with just a few lights in the window and possible strobes. does any one have any suggestions for a front window light and a rear window light. keeping in mind ive only been given a budget of 500

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
I could do 2 T3 grille lights, a dual linear dash light, 6-module warning bar, and 6-bulb 90W strobe kit for $484.95 :)

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
emtfirebug said:
my fire department is looking into getting a 2013 f250 for our utility truck. we are looking to keep it cheap and simple with just a few lights in the window and possible strobes. does any one have any suggestions for a front window light and a rear window light. keeping in mind ive only been given a budget of 500

Safety over looks!!!! Put a lightbar on it. No good reason for a "undercover" utility vehicle. There are some nice options for full size lightbars on here and even in LED.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
PM sent; check your inbox. I've for a clearance sale on New in Box Fedeeal Signal & Whelen dash/deck lights.

My first recommendation for the most basic utility setup is: a lightbar, HLF, & intersection surface mounts. Unless it's an unmarked PD vehicle, I don't think there's a reason why you shouldn't go with a lightbar (it's cheaper to get solid 360 warning with a lightbar than multiple interior & perimeter lights). A used MX7000, vector/vision, or edge lightbar with new lenses could do a solid job for under $500.

However, if you decide to stay with a slick top vehicle:

--HLF up front (since you've got a really limited budget, keep it simple and don't worry about HAWs up front)

--TLF (economical option) or 2 HAWs in the rear upper brake lights. Do yourself a favor and don't even think about putting anything in the reverse lights (aside from many people being opposed to clear in the rear, LAWs are useless there because the housing & reflector are so small, and strobe HAWs give off too much heat for such a small housing)

--Dash light (centered)

--2 single dash lights on opposite ends of the rear headliner (preferably), or 1 dual light centered

--If I'd put the grill lights on hold for now and use your limited current budget toward surface mount lights that you can use for intersection warning. I'd say intersection is a priority here over grill lights (since it's a dept vehicle and I'm guessing it will be capable of going code 3). Then, once some more funds trickle in, I would get the largest grill lights you can get your hands on (I hate when people put TIR3's in pickup or SUV grills, because they look so tiny IMO). A pair of Lin6, M6, etc would look great.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
pdk9 said:
--TLF (economical option) or 2 HAWs in the rear upper brake lights. Do yourself a favor and don't even think about putting anything in the reverse lights (aside from many people being opposed to clear in the rear, LAWs are useless there because the housing & reflector are so small, and strobe HAWs give off too much heat for such a small housing)

I think I have found an excellent solution to this problem on the Fords. The Feniex Cannon with split colors will work in the Super Duty reverse light just fine. I installed mine this morning. I removed the 921 bulb and socket, shaved the hole out to 1" with a Dremel tool, mounted the Cannons in place and wired up the back up lights side of things. (The emergency lights side of them has yet to wired up as I am waiting for some stuff.) But I did test the whole thing on the bench. The amber Mode wig wags just great, and if you put the truck in reverse, Mode 2 overrides Mode 1 and the back up lights come on.

Once the first Cannon was installed, I put the truck in reverse in the shop and waited about 5 minutes. The side with the Cannon was nice and cool. The side that still had the 921 incandescent was hot.

My EMS Chief has a F150 with the tiny reverse lights and the 921 bulb. The Cannons should fit in there, too.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
pdk9 said:
PM sent; check your inbox. I've for a clearance sale on New in Box Fedeeal Signal & Whelen dash/deck lights.

My first recommendation for the most basic utility setup is: a lightbar, HLF, & intersection surface mounts. Unless it's an unmarked PD vehicle, I don't think there's a reason why you shouldn't go with a lightbar (it's cheaper to get solid 360 warning with a lightbar than multiple interior & perimeter lights). A used MX7000, vector/vision, or edge lightbar with new lenses could do a solid job for under $500.

However, if you decide to stay with a slick top vehicle:

--HLF up front (since you've got a really limited budget, keep it simple and don't worry about HAWs up front)

--Dash light (centered)

--2 single dash lights on opposite ends of the rear headliner (preferably), or 1 dual light centered

--If I'd put the grill lights on hold for now and use your limited current budget toward surface mount lights that you can use for intersection warning. I'd say intersection is a priority here over grill lights (since it's a dept vehicle and I'm guessing it will be capable of going code 3). Then, once some more funds trickle in, I would get the largest grill lights you can get your hands on (I hate when people put TIR3's in pickup or SUV grills, because they look so tiny IMO). A pair of Lin6, M6, etc would look great.

Cough cough... DO IT! There aren't enough halogen vectors in service anymore!

acala91

Oct 15, 2010
FL
With a $500 budget I would be shopping for used lightbars. For $500 you should be able to get:

Used Lightbar

Used Whelen 400 or 700 series in grill

Used Whelen 500 LIN6s for intersection

HLF/TLF

Used siren (PA300, Whelen SL, Code3 VCon, Unitrol TMD)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caldwell205

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.