Lightbar VS Slicktop on POV

USAFK9

Jun 5, 2010
NY
I was just wondering what people thought about having a lightbar on the roof of the vehicle or sticking to dash lights, opinions appreciated. And does one work better than the other?

For a pov i always recommended slick top!

I have the answer for this one:

People that like light bars on POV's would recommend them, while people that prefer interior lights on the dash and rear deck would recommend slick top.

Kinda like fat girls.......some people like them.

Any other opinion questions?

I agree with ^. I personally never thought I would use a lightbar. But when my grille lights weren't enough I decided to give it a try. I was surprised by how good it looked on my truck and by how effective it was. My $.02; Lightbar.

What are the lighting requirements in your area? if 360 degree warning is required, then a roof-mounted bar will satisfy those requirements cheaper than interior-only lighting. Of course the downside is being more conspicuous.

If you want to be as safe as possible (meaning: seen) then go with a light bar. However, I believe POV's should stick with interior lights with clear lenses in hidden spots or have a bar with colored lenses (reason being it keeps the driver safer due to a lesser chance of being thought of as a cops and keeps them from being accused of being an impostor).

One thing to note about a slick top, esp a POV without markings, is you will need more lights and more patience then a marked car with a roof bar. My county has 2 black CVPI traffic cars that were bought at the same time and outfitted with the same set up. Both had PAR36 leds in the grill, wig-wags, led mirror beams, a full inner edge (older model with the brighter liberty style heads) front and rear, separate traffic adviser, strobes in the front corners and all 4 tail lamps, and 2 TIR3's in each of the rear side windows. Due to a state law issue, one of the cars ended up getting a full liberty added to it also. After speaking with both the driver's (one of whom is a good friend of mine) and seeing them both in action, the one with the light bar is seen easier, though the slick top is still super bright. All of that to say this: even with the best slick top set up, a bar, even a mini bar, is better.

I guess Im kinda old fashioned. I like lightbars but they have to look good. Can't be just any kind. I also think it depends on how your vehicle is used.

If your using it for response, then I think you could go slick.

If your using it at the scene, then I think lightbar.

With my department, we can have as many lights as we'd like in R/W/A, whatever we want. Just NO roof-mount lightbars. Those are reserved for the chiefs. I personally think the system makes a lot of sense. Small town, plus a courtesy light state, interior/grille/wig-wags/strobes are plenty for most uses. Of course, we don't have to deal with highways here, which makes a case for having a roof-top lightbar.

whatevah said:
What are the lighting requirements in your area? if 360 degree warning is required, then a roof-mounted bar will satisfy those requirements cheaper than interior-only lighting. Of course the downside is being more conspicuous.

360 degree here in nys. and it would be alot cheaper than trying to get 360 degrees with interior lighting.

Thanks everyone for your Opinion.

Me personaly like the lightbar but if i had to i would of went slick top for my truck 360 all the way around

ai184.photobucket.com_albums_x101_soberbyker_psp_20cars_pasp317Small.jpg

Has anyone ever seen this type of lightbar before, I've actually saw one of these lit up a few years ago on a PSP car, never saw one again until I came across this photo. There is a similar bar in the front.

Who makes this and do you know of anyone else using them?

No prob. I think I saw a video a while ago on Sirennet's youtube page. Might check it out.

It is all a matter of personal preference and what you need.

Ask yourself if you want to do the damage of putting a lightbar (permanent mount) on your vehicle. Also for slicktop, will you have the visibility you need while responding (especially if you are running full code) as well as when you are stationary (if you will be likely to be on the side of a highway or doing traffic control). A well thought out slicktop setup can provide you with plenty of visibility and near 360* coverage.

Consider your needs, your budget, and local/state requirements when making your decision.

Me personally I prefer slicktop on my POV, but that's just me. Everyone has their own opinion.

Just a reminder, dash/deck lights are for secondary warning, same for grill lights.

Primary warning would be a full interior bar front and rear, or a light bar on top of the vehicle.

Strobes/HALs are for denoting the outline/corners of the vehicle from the rear/front/side, and not for primary warning.

The higher the light the better it is seen.

Just food for thought and my .02 worth.

Ok, try this...

Make your vehicle a sllicktop (my preference), BUT get a small LED Magnet mount light to just keep on top for 360 lighting. This way you have both to an extent, but can keep the magnet mount inside until needed. :thumbsup:

I think POV light bars (interior or exterior) are ridiculous unless you're a chief.

In states where volunteers are permitted to use sirens I could understand having a light bar. But in "courtesy light" states light bars are overkill.

When I was a volunteer I used dash and deck lights.

Most law enforcement agencies in my area use dash/deck/grille LEDs as primary warning and it is more than sufficient.

I know what your are going through. When I became an officer I was trying to decide the same thing. There are good things about both worlds. I have a lightbar but that was just me bad things about lightbars they reduce your gas mileage but you are seen from a great distance and people start to slow down. But with an interior system it is a lot of work to get it running for 360 coverage. I currently am covered 360 by my lightbar and interior lights. Now granted my truck looks like a fire ball rolling down the highway but I am seen and that is what is important to me. One of are officers did the same thing as one of the other posts said he has the corner strobes and 2 grill lights but a slicktop and when he go code he places a little magnet LED light on top. It is effective but no where near a visible.

It all depends. Here's my mentality:

cars: slicktop with a throw light.

medium to large SUVs and pickups: lightbar

I have seen cars get away with lightbars. All of FFJWhite's cars looked good with bars on them. They were also car that were used as PD and FD vehicles. A Cavalier would look ridiculous! I had a Lumina that had an MX up top, and it actually got a few compliments. Once I got my Explorer, I switched the MX to it. The Lumina had a dual Viper S2, 2 LX4's in the grill, HLF, corner HAWs , Linear LED mirror beams, and a Dashlaser as a throw light. I swear I had a MUCH easier time getting through intersection with the MX up top.

SlickTop Solutions said:
Just a reminder, dash/deck lights are for secondary warning, same for grill lights.

Unless they are all that you have, then they are primary warning.

if 360 is needed (i.e. vollie chief with red lights and siren), then i would go with a lightbar for maximum visibility.

if 360 is not needed (i.e. vollie with courtesy blue light permit), then i think a lightbar is not really necessary.

But obviously, if you're parked on scene a lot (whether or not 360 is needed) and you can afford the lightbar, i would go with it ;)

WS224 said:
Unless they are all that you have, then they are primary warning.

Then make sure you have at least two double heads to the front and two double heads to the rear.

They were never designed as Primary warning and to my knowledge there is no single dash or deck light that is NFPA compliant by itself, as part of a package, perhaps.

I do understand the need for use in the volunteer world.

SlickTop Solutions said:
Then make sure you have at least two double heads to the front and two double heads to the rear.

Either that or you could obey the law. Virginia allows POVs to have a maximum of two red or red/white lights, and I'm sure other states have similar limitations. (To be sure, there are definitely ways to get more warning out of two lights than just a minibar or a dual dash light)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efoote381