Lighted SPDT wiring

Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
Hey guys, I am looking to see if anyone can shed some light on this. I am stumped. I am wiring aux reverse lights on a truck for a guy. Simple? Yes. However I wired everything with a SPDT switch. The owner wants the ability to turn the lights on when the truck is not in reverse, (loading salt and for whatever else.) and also have the aux reverse lights to come on when the truck goes in reverse. The off position will be off and only the factory reverse lights will only come on. Here is a diagram of what I am talking about. Now my actual question. I am using a lighted SPDT switch however it is back feeding so no matter what position (except off) they all come on. Does anyone know where I would need to add a diode so it doesn't back feed or another relay and how it would need to be done so I can use the lighted switch. I do not want to use a metal SPDT switch. Thanks guys.

517.jpg

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
Just install your switch before the factory backup switch. Use the center terminal as "in" and one of the outside ones as "out", continuing to the factory switch. Then run a wire from the other "out" of your switch to the backup lights. Put the relay in your box of cool stuff to use later.

This assumes your switch can handle the current of the lights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 13, 2010
Holland, Michigan
JazzDad said:
20 amps at 12 volts. Can I assume the vehicle is 12 volts?

What is the total current draw of the backup lamps?

Yes its a 03 gmc duramax diesel. Factory back up lamp fuse is 10-15 amps I believe and the auxs lights are led. I forget the lumens.

rad123

Aug 5, 2011
Dixon, CA
001.jpg

The diagram on the left is the way I have my truck wired up. The left side does not need diodes and the right does. I have the switch on my dash. If you have any questions, PM me.

sheazle

May 31, 2013
Missouri
Since you are using a spdt automotive relay anyway you can do this without diodes and with a spst switch.

aimg.tapatalk.com_d_13_12_15_a5usy4yq.jpg

This is how I have my reverse lights wired on my F150. With the switch open the stock wiring is lined up, with the switch closed the reverse lights are powered from the battery directly and the stock reverse light wire is removed from the circuit mechanically so it can't back feed. I didn't put fuses in the drawing but they are very important.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
htamboli

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.