Lighting for 2011 dodge ram 1500

CaptD

Feb 28, 2011
NY
I need help/tips installing my lights in my pov for the fd. I also what lights should i do out my rear window and side.

In the front i own 4 led grille lights, how do I install them inside the grill without breaching the firewall or voiding warranty how hard is it.?

How do i install led hideaways, I'm putting 1 blue in each head light and 2 red in each tail light, how do i do it?

when putting in a r/a slimlighter in my rear window on the left side it would not fit due to my rear sliding window so I had to mount it on the right side. If any body reading this has a 2011 Ram 1500 maybe you can help bc of the limited room on the drivers side there less then 6inch wide and less then a inch deep im looking to spend less then $125 for a split led red/amber

I also have a 4 head basic switch box

what can I do for side lighting I want every thing undercover

thanks Pic will be uploaded with what im working with later

RAM BLUE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

JediTalen

Jun 19, 2011
Bummertown, WA
Ok so you have a little work ahead of you but if you can do some basic wiring you'll be ok. There are existing grommets in your firewall (follow the factory harness) you can use to pass wiring for switches etc. You may want to simply create an underhood distribution panel, wired on its own circuit from the battery with a relay, to a single switch on the dash. Stereo shops are great places to find these sorts of things and people who know how to install them. To mount your hideaways you'll need to drill mounting holes (use a power drill and holesaw bit in the size specified by your lights) in the housings. Take your time figuring out the best places for these holes, consider what's behind the housings and figure out where your wiring needs to go, measure twice drill once!

Generally speaking most LAWS need only power to function so wiring should be simple with a power and ground, the third wire you may encounter is used to synch the lights with their counterparts, the directions for that process vary from model to model.

If you are doing two colors synch everything so that the colors alternate for best results (all the red then all the blue for example). Mount your grille lights in each of the corners of the grill to achieve both vertical and horizontal "movement" in your display.

Try turning your slimlighter vertical in the back window, ought to fit fine!

Discrete side lighting may be a trick for you, if your truck is an extended cab then you can simply place your sidelights behind those windows. Another option is to mount a TIR style surface mount under the truck using a brasket that positions the light just low enough that it can be seen when illuminated but is tucked back to be inobtrusive, the con to this is that the light will be rendered ineffective by mud or snow and is vunerable to damage. I prefer to mount a TIR3 on the bedrail (or a toolbox) just behind the cab, while not totally undercover you can play it off as an aftermarket turn signal your Wife got you for Christmas.

Good luck, Let me know how it turns out!

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
I would definitely go to an installer. I'm pretty sure the headlights are double walled, that's going to be a pain for someone who's never done an install

Nov 7, 2011
New England
tom said:
I would definitely go to an installer. I'm pretty sure the headlights are double walled, that's going to be a pain for someone who's never done an install

I did a ram last year... the headlights are a pain. and they are doublewalled:bonk:

CaptD

Feb 28, 2011
NY
i really dont have the time to bring it to 1 or the money. i got alot of friends in the fd who r really good at this stuff but i want to be able to give them help by getting info

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
If your buddies have done a double-walled headlight before, I say go for it. If not steer clear, they are a huge PITA! The easiest and quickest route would probably be a bunch of surface mount grille lights. ie. 4 in the grille, 2 on an intersection bkt, and 2 on a LP bkt in the rear. Just as effective for less money!!

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
Go with non-permanent mount interior lighting until you can take it to a professional. Believe me, even professionals run into snags here and there, I can only imagine the potential for damaging something an amateur might run into. Go with some suction cup mounted dash lights and rear window lights until you can save up enough clams to pay someone who knows what they're doing.

And, come on? You don't have the time? I helped with an install on Saturday that took about three and a half hours. You can't possibly tell me you don't have a couple of hours to kill on any given day of the week. Even Batman has time to do his own thing.

Installs on any and all new vehicles can be tricky. There are too many wires, fuses, plastic parts, metal parts, and other pieces you don't want to mess around with. Ask any professional installer on the board. If it were easy, we'd all be doing it.

Tom

Dec 18, 2010
Taunton, MA
$50-100 per hour is about the norm around here. A lot of shops just quote per job and don't go by the hour though. 4 hide aways should be around $200 installed. Call some shops, do some research in your area.

Nov 7, 2011
New England
Yeah our rate is 70 an hour. It takes about 1/2 an hour for regular, and at least an hour for double walled.. It's an INVESTMENT to have it done the right way the first time.. Trust me

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woobatu

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.