Lighting Help

I have a 99 Ford Taurus Wagon and am looking to expand my emergency lighting. I am currently running an Axixtech Hawk I B/C to the front and nothing to the rear.

State law allows the following:

Front: Blue, Blue/Clear, and Blue/Amber

Rear: Blue, Blue/Clear, Blue/Amber, and Blue/Red (red to rear only)

Misc: HLF, Strobes

NO SIREN

Not required to have a light on top.

I am getting a decent financial aid refund in spring but I don't want to spend all of it on lights.

I would drop the Hawk for another dash light if better. I also do not like clear to the front personally because I think it "covers up" the blue.

May 22, 2010
New York City
i did a install on a taurus wagon a few years ago..... what i did was 2 single talons in the back 1 blue 1 amber and a slimlighter to the front in blue.... also had 2 blue tir3 surface mounted to the grill... it was very effective....... the nyc sanitation police have a few in service still around 99 model.... they are all halogen lights tho.......

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I would put in the HLF on a rush. lol It really moves traffic. You can put Tomar Rect14's in the rear next to your plate or in the rear window. They are cheap and are very bright. Let me know if you need any. The main thing is stick to US brands not China Junk, and use only Gen 3 Leds. Be safe .

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
ff_emt_820 said:
I have a 99 Ford Taurus Wagon and am looking to expand my emergency lighting. I am currently running an Axixtech Hawk I B/C to the front and nothing to the rear.
State law allows the following:

Front: Blue, Blue/Clear, and Blue/Amber

Rear: Blue, Blue/Clear, Blue/Amber, and Blue/Red (red to rear only)

Misc: HLF, Strobes

NO SIREN

Not required to have a light on top.

I am getting a decent financial aid refund in spring but I don't want to spend all of it on lights.

I would drop the Hawk for another dash light if better. I also do not like clear to the front personally because I think it "covers up" the blue.

i think clear LED to the front is def. nice to have b/c it catches the attention of ppl (in addition to the HLF)

FRONT:

--2 blue SOS ghosts for the grill

--HLF

--blue/clear tomar 200s high power or dual avenger (mounted on either the dash or headliner). slimlighter is a good light but no off-axis, hence i'd go with a linear light as ur primary warning

REAR:

--2 red LAWs in the brake lights

--2 avengers/talons on the rear deck (amber on driver side and blue on passenger side)

if u want something for the intersections, blue led3 minis on a 10-75 bracket would look nice, imo

May 22, 2010
Central WV
I would personally get a Gen III dash light since if you add anything else to the front it will get washed out in the mix. Having said that, I'd do this (keeping in mind you don't want it to be too expensive).

Front:

Dual Pilot or Dual Predator B/B or B/C

LED3s in grill B

HLF

Rear:

UltraLite 4 (deck version, B or B/A/A/B)

Universal Undercovers R in brake lights

You can use this as a basic guide and choose whatever brand you prefer to get the same style product from. This still isn't going to be cheap (depending on what you think cheap is), but it is budget minded for a more inexpensive turn key package. The only other thing you may need to get is a switchbox of some sort to control all of this because it is going to be hardwired. The 600 Series from Sound Off would be plenty for you. If you have the extra money you can always add more lights or upgrade a particular light to something larger. Let me know if you have any questions or if you want a quote.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.