Lighting my 2013 F-150.... try to explain best as I can! multiple jobs

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Hey guys, I will try to explain my jobs best I can and hope to have some suggestions from you guys.

First off in Mississippi, colors for emergency services are as follows: Law Enforcement = Blue Fire/EMS = Red

Ok so I live in a small county where I am... Narcotics Officer (law), Marshall/Police Chief of my tiny little town (law), County Fire Investigator (law), Fire Chief of the same little town Volly Dept (Fire) and run EMS calls (Fire)

NOW, this truck is my personal vehicle... I use it for all of the above but not just a ton. Sheriff of County said I needed some blue lights in this vehicle doing some of the law side out of it so I was wondering what I should do as far as lighting, what kind and where to put lights? My back glass is a sliding glass so a light stick is out of the question because of that.

Budget = $1,000 and I already have the handheld siren.

Should I do a dual color and set one to turn blue on only or opposite with red or just run Red/Blue to everything???

ai75.photobucket.com_albums_i295_fireman616wfd_44730E93_2B9A_4aca42fa3d02c8e8229234c691a67cdc8.jpg

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
fireman616wfd said:
Should I do a dual color and set one to turn blue on only or opposite with red or just run Red/Blue to everything???

I realize you're the police AND fie chief, but is t legal for fire to run red and blue? If not, you my want to consider a multi-color light head such as the Sound-Off nFORCE series (also available as a dash light), a headlight flasher and perhaps hide-a-way LEDs in the front and rear turn signals. You could add blue hide-a-ways in the back-up lamp housings. This would give you a basic stealthy package. If you wanted, you could also add some Sound Off Intersectors under the side rear-view mirrors (there's also spay tint you could apply to mask their presence).

You mentioned you have the hand-held siren already; do you already have a speaker, too?

fireman616wfd

May 24, 2010
Oxford, MS
Fire Investigators (previous) in this county has always ran red/blue. One was a fire chief and ran that on all calls. The sheriff just said "hey, u need some red and blue lights" so that's what I am attempting haha.

okc_f150

Oct 3, 2013
Oklahoma City
I agree, red and blue. You could do the Feniex Apollo exteriors behind the grill, and in the lip between your tailgate and the bed. Throw in a HLF/TLF and maybe a dash light and call it good. You could set the Apollos to run blue on one switch and red on the other. Or just run red/blue.

jhallgren22

Sep 8, 2013
Norton, MA
Why not just do all blue? Around here the police respond to fire calls anyways so it wouldn't matter what color your lights are since you are the chief of police too?

ERM

May 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Why is this the age-old question of which color to run? People are going to move for either color, right? It's about requesting right of way. As long as people move to the right, then do whatever works. Do people say "Aw heck, he's fire, he can wait"? Even when you're on scene, does it matter? The flashing light is to warn people and to identify yourself as a person of authority on scene.

Now, if you're pulling someone over, then definitely make sure you're running cop colors, but for responding, I say whatever works best. Remember, one color works better during the day while the other better at night.

In an emergency, you do what it takes to get the job done. Why would someone be so picky as to the color that was used? That's like complaining that someone was doing CPR with left hand over right as opposed to right hand over left. :duh:

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Coming at it from a law enforcement perspective, run only blue/clear lights. Last thing you want is to get on the stand for a major narc bust and have the case tossed cause the shittum claimed he was confused by the multiple light colors. Keep it simple and go blue, last thing you want to worry about during a take down is which color lights you just turned on.

For Fire/EMS all you want is people to get out of your way and not hit you on scene so blue accomplishes that and tends to get more respect/quicker yielding(IMO) when responding to calls. Pretty sure he doesn't have to worry about pissing anyone off going to Fire/EMS calls with his blue lights seeing as he is the Chief of Police for the jurisdiction in which he'll be responding.

Good Luck and Stay Safe

PS - Get some Ions and a can of spray tint...you can't go wrong

AllStrobedUp

Jun 1, 2013
Altamonte Springs, Flor
Krsdog25 said:
Coming at it from a law enforcement perspective, run only blue/clear lights. Last thing you want is to get on the stand for a major narc bust and have the case tossed cause the shittum claimed he was confused by the multiple light colors. Keep it simple and go blue, last thing you want to worry about during a take down is which color lights you just turned on.

For Fire/EMS all you want is people to get out of your way and not hit you on scene so blue accomplishes that and tends to get more respect/quicker yielding(IMO) when responding to calls. Pretty sure he doesn't have to worry about pissing anyone off going to Fire/EMS calls with his blue lights seeing as he is the Chief of Police for the jurisdiction in which he'll be responding.

Good Luck and Stay Safe

PS - Get some Ions and a can of spray tint...you can't go wrong
I have found the perforated black vinyl works amazing for hiding light without hindering output.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New in state!

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.