Lights Too Bright

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
I believe modern LED lights are to bright and blinding to oncoming traffic. We have all been blinded passing a rig on the side of the road at night. This puts not only cars passing at risk but personnel on the scene having blind drivers pass by. You can't see that door open or that person standing in the road.

To make my point even more valid we just had 3 officers shot in Georgia. Two were responding to the first officer down call. As they pulled up to his vehicle, using caution, they were blinded by the light bar and did not see the guy with the AR15 aimed at them until they pulled right up to him and instantly started taking fire.

Attached is the news story. Skip to 1:10 to see what I am talking about.

• Wow
Reactions: Jarred J.

Sparky_911

Supporting Donor
May 15, 2013
Central Illinois
The MUTCD manual has some newer language on this. Responder safety learning network has some online courses on this as well.

Screenshot_20210415-102543_Samsung Internet.jpg

NoLimitSquads

Feb 11, 2021
Minnesota
When I program a squad, I do a few things to avoid things like this. At night, when the vehicle is in park, all lights go into low power, to avoid blinding passing traffic. I also turn off the lightbar corners when the door is open to avoid blinding the officer, and to not make them a lit up target to a criminal that is trying to shoot at them. We go through situational awareness training from Whelen to build safer cars.

Reactions: wojf72

Sfd295

Jul 6, 2010
Massachusetts
With Whelen's WECAN system it's become much easier to implement low power and cut-out situations. I see many police vehicles not cut out white flashing lighting while parked. This is a requirement for fire apparatus. It all depends on the installer and the spec'd equipment. As an installer it's our job to communicate the importance of low-power, flash pattern changes (including DVI and steady-flash), and park cut-out with the customer. For both responder and public safety.

On a side note I saw an engine the other day that had two large Pioneer lights on the brow that were flashing. That's completely unnecessary and was unbelievably blinding. I'm surprised Whelen made a flasher for them, but alas...

May 21, 2010
Minnesota
I seem to recall this topic coming up every once in a while. I remember a video of a freeway chase where one officer hit stopped squads for this very reason. It can definately be challenging to see the officer at night during traffic stops when they are in full Clark Griswold mode. I dont know that I have ever seen any police using the dim mode on a light in my area. I have seen the end cutoff when the door is opened.

I dont fully understand having a lightbar, one or two full visor lights/arrow, hideaways and 4+++ lightheads facing one direction. May be some jelousy involved but it seems like a very big waste of money too.

unityrv26

Mar 4, 2012
Michigan
LED lighting is truly a double edged sword of our time. Yes they are highly visible and eye catching, but they can mix colors creating a blob of light that just blinds you.

I have worked for a length of time under both the halogen and LED eras. I can tell you there are pro's and cons to both. When approaching a scene with new LED tech I can tell you it's harder to judge the depth of the scene and you can become distracted as to where things actually are. It can be very disorienting. Even working a scene can be confusing. We actually ask agencies to turn off much of their lighting to just basic flashers if it's necessary. When you're trying to measure and write information, LEDs suck.

We do train with LEDs on our range at night. It can really affect shooting.

Give me my old halogen streethawk with some LED deck/dash lights any day or night of the week.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Parked cutoff for white and no white to the rear is a huge issue for me. I continue to see split red white abominations parked on the roadside. People are stuck in the time of strobes and don't understand that modern LEDs changed the game on colors and brightness. Less lights placed and controlled smarter is the ticket.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
idk

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.