LIN6 modules in TAM65/TAM85 bar?

brewmeister08

Jun 20, 2010
Austin, TX
Does anyone know if Whelen LIN6 modules will fit in their TAM65/TAM85 TIR6-style housing? LIN6 modules appear to be slightly wider than the TIR6's and am not sure if there will be enough space in the TAM housing to let it slide into place.

andrewsim

Jun 15, 2010
Northeastern, IL
I tried this, unfortunately the wires in the LIN6s stick out further due to the larger heatsink, it can be done, but is VERY difficult to do.

EDIT: After further review it cannot be done, the only way i was able to do was to the shave the tabs down slightly and actually have the tabs slide in right in front of the channel they are supposed to fit in. I got the LIN6s for free so i had no problem upgrading the bar with them and have them held in place by zip ties.

Last edited by a moderator:

brewmeister08

Jun 20, 2010
Austin, TX
Andrew, thanks for the response. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your modifications, would you? :)

TNFF412N, aren't all of the linear 500 series the same dimensions wise? I'm sure the LIN6's will fit the regular extrusion housing as those are nearly four inches wide! But it's the low-profile housing that has me scratching my head.

TNFF412N

May 22, 2010
San Antonio, Texas
i dont think they are , i think the 4 wire ones are bigger because you have a flasher built in... i might be wrong but im pretty sure they are bigger. We tried to add some lin6s to our liberty and had some lying around.......

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
brewmeister08 said:
TNFF412N, aren't all of the linear 500 series the same dimensions wise? I'm sure the LIN6's will fit the regular extrusion housing as those are nearly four inches wide! But it's the low-profile housing that has me scratching my head.

Nope. The LIN6 are in fact larger depth wise than the TIR6 because of the "Deep lens reflector". That is why the LIN6 and the TIR6 have different surface mount flanges that are not compatible with the other. This will not work with out serious modification to the housing and the lights themselves. You would be better off getting a TADP6 or TADP8 (LINZ6).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.